Have you successfully get the rent arrears back?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you successfully get the rent arrears back?

I got a tenant who is receiving universal credit for housing elements and do not work, now 4months rent in arrears, I am taking him to court for possession. Is the court able to issue a possession order and a pay-rent order at the same claim if I were successful? What option do I have if he still don't pay, and don't pay ccj either? What about if he eventually moved out and won't tell me his new address? Is ccj able to get his new address from somewhere else? I am wondering if there is anyone here could share your experiences here on whether or not you get your rent arrears back? any tips?

I have just evicted a tenant with 5 months rent arrears. You should get a money order as well as the possession order (i don't know how to apply for it as my solicitors handled all the details) I don't have experience on the debt recovery yet as i havn't gone that far yet. But with the money order i believe you can do sth about it.

Comment

For someone who doesn't work your chances of recover the money is pretty close to 0, even the court costs.

You may get a token payment of £1 a week over many many years if you are lucky.

I would just register a CCJ against the tenant and cut my losses.

Comment

Lakemk and spiritdreams, thanks very much for your reply, it's really helpful.
        It seems the benefit system in this country sucks, it just helps and encourages those lazy scumbags! It just so unfair for landlords.

Comment

Was said 'scumbag' working when hard done by landlord rented the property to them?
          "I'm afraid I didn't do enough background checks apart from checking her identity on Facebook" - ANON

What I say is based on my own experience and research - Please don't take as gospel without first checking the gospel yourself.

Comment

If they are on benefits,no chance.Put ccj on them .Court will award £1 a week and it will cost you more to enforce.The law needs changing,just because they are on benefits should not mean debts written off.I have just evicted tenants with rent arrears,no doubt utility bill debts and they have walked straight into a council property.If a ccj had been put on them before the credit checks would not have come back clear.

Comment

Originally posted by spiritdreams View Post
              For someone who doesn't work your chances of recover the money is pretty close to 0, even the court costs.

You may get a token payment of £1 a week over many many years if you are lucky.

I would just register a CCJ against the tenant and cut my losses.
              Agree. I would just get the CCJ and leave it there.

Comment

A tenant I evicted four years ago owed me £2800 and I obtained CCJ against her, she detailed her income and outgoings to the Court, having lost her job and now living with her mother, her outgoings included cigarettes, mobile phone bills of £40 and rent to her mother! She claimed she could only afford to pay £5 per month, I sent my reply to the Court but it still agreed with her, amazingly she is still paying but I don't think I'll be alive by the time the debt is cleared.

I obtained a CCJ on another tenant for £500 arrears knowing that she wouldn't pay but for the £30 fee I got the satisfaction of knowing she would have problems getting credit or another tenancy and if she ever came into money I could enforce it.

Comment

Thanks all, for your advice. I am awaiting for a possession order and money order, shall definitely get a CCJ after that.

Comment

Danneroo,

sorry do you mind explaining to me how I could obtain CCJ ? I have the money order in hand at the moment

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• S21 rent arrears
                      Colourful30
                      Hi
                      I issued my tenant with a section 21 notice which finishes on 23rd November 2018 - this was issued due to rent arrears.

I received a text yesterday from my tenant to say he has received keys for another property and would have moved all of his belongings out on Thursday...
                      23-10-2018, 10:08 AM
                    • Reply to S21 rent arrears
                      KTC
                      Unless and until the High Court+ hear a case on this, one can only speculate on the court's interpretation.

Purely for argument's sake though, leaving aside actual technical legal arguments, if the tenant is leaving because you served them a section 21, how does that not fall squarely within...
                      23-10-2018, 23:28 PM
                    • Deposit protection - Personal properties and limited company property
                      catdog1121
                      Hi,

So I have 4 properties in my own name and have recently setup a company and bought a company through the limited company.

I have an account with the DPS for my 4 personal properties, my question is can I just protect the deposit from the tenant in this account or does...
                      23-10-2018, 22:47 PM
                    • AST and periodic tenancy
                      skay2
                      Hi all,

This is my first post and my first BTL experience.

I bought a new built flat from a developer in England last year. The Lease Agreement stipulated that I need the freeholder’s consent to let it. The request was granted without any mention of extra fees. I found a...
                      22-10-2018, 21:51 PM
                    • Reply to AST and periodic tenancy
                      MdeB
                      They might, but in the case of council tax liability I believe it has been determined that it is the length contracted not the length that ultimately occurs that is relevant, so the same could be argued here....
                      23-10-2018, 22:39 PM
                    • Reply to S21 rent arrears
                      MdeB
                      S21C would not appear to apply here as the tenancy was not brought to an end as a result of a S21 notice, as the proposed end date is before the expiry of the S21 notice.
                      23-10-2018, 22:22 PM
                    • Tenancy start date different from the one in contract.
                      downloaderd517
                      Hi everyone,
                      I need some advice with the following issue.

I have signed the tenancy contract on the 13th of this month, so in theory the contract is legally binding from the 13th. For personal reasons I have not sent the deposit on that day but 2 days later(15th). I got my keys and...
                      23-10-2018, 11:52 AM
                    • Reply to Tenancy start date different from the one in contract.
                      theartfullodger
                      That you chose to use a slow transfer mechanism is your decision, your problem.

There are so many fast transfer ways now, most of my payments go in/out within an hour or so.

Next time, use a quicker transfer.
                      23-10-2018, 16:26 PM
                    • Break clause issuing Section 8
                      gummage
                      I have a break clause in a tenancy, that after 1 year, either party can activate a 3 month get out. so if tenant wants out after a year he can give notice and leave in 3 months or likewise me ask him to leave in 3 months. NOw I fear that this clown I have will try and stay longer and will do anything...
                      23-10-2018, 15:20 PM
                    • Reply to Break clause issuing Section 8
                      KTC
                      TL;DR: You need to serve a break notice to terminate the fixed term early, as well as a valid section 8 or section 21 notice expirying on or after the expiry of the break notice which you can then rely on to apply for possession at the court if necessary.

----

Break notice:...
                      23-10-2018, 16:07 PM
                    Working...
                    X