Have you successfully get the rent arrears back?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you successfully get the rent arrears back?

I got a tenant who is receiving universal credit for housing elements and do not work, now 4months rent in arrears, I am taking him to court for possession. Is the court able to issue a possession order and a pay-rent order at the same claim if I were successful? What option do I have if he still don't pay, and don't pay ccj either? What about if he eventually moved out and won't tell me his new address? Is ccj able to get his new address from somewhere else? I am wondering if there is anyone here could share your experiences here on whether or not you get your rent arrears back? any tips?

I have just evicted a tenant with 5 months rent arrears. You should get a money order as well as the possession order (i don't know how to apply for it as my solicitors handled all the details) I don't have experience on the debt recovery yet as i havn't gone that far yet. But with the money order i believe you can do sth about it.

Comment

For someone who doesn't work your chances of recover the money is pretty close to 0, even the court costs.

You may get a token payment of £1 a week over many many years if you are lucky.

I would just register a CCJ against the tenant and cut my losses.

Comment

Lakemk and spiritdreams, thanks very much for your reply, it's really helpful.
        It seems the benefit system in this country sucks, it just helps and encourages those lazy scumbags! It just so unfair for landlords.

Comment

Was said 'scumbag' working when hard done by landlord rented the property to them?
          "I'm afraid I didn't do enough background checks apart from checking her identity on Facebook" - ANON

What I say is based on my own experience and research - Please don't take as gospel without first checking the gospel yourself.

Comment

If they are on benefits,no chance.Put ccj on them .Court will award £1 a week and it will cost you more to enforce.The law needs changing,just because they are on benefits should not mean debts written off.I have just evicted tenants with rent arrears,no doubt utility bill debts and they have walked straight into a council property.If a ccj had been put on them before the credit checks would not have come back clear.

Comment

Originally posted by spiritdreams View Post
              For someone who doesn't work your chances of recover the money is pretty close to 0, even the court costs.

You may get a token payment of £1 a week over many many years if you are lucky.

I would just register a CCJ against the tenant and cut my losses.
              Agree. I would just get the CCJ and leave it there.

Comment

A tenant I evicted four years ago owed me £2800 and I obtained CCJ against her, she detailed her income and outgoings to the Court, having lost her job and now living with her mother, her outgoings included cigarettes, mobile phone bills of £40 and rent to her mother! She claimed she could only afford to pay £5 per month, I sent my reply to the Court but it still agreed with her, amazingly she is still paying but I don't think I'll be alive by the time the debt is cleared.

I obtained a CCJ on another tenant for £500 arrears knowing that she wouldn't pay but for the £30 fee I got the satisfaction of knowing she would have problems getting credit or another tenancy and if she ever came into money I could enforce it.

Comment

Thanks all, for your advice. I am awaiting for a possession order and money order, shall definitely get a CCJ after that.

Comment

Danneroo,

sorry do you mind explaining to me how I could obtain CCJ ? I have the money order in hand at the moment

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Dispute with landlord over deposit
                      MarieMB
                      I have recently moved out of a property and requested my deposit back (£2000) from my landlord which has been protected in My Deposits scheme. I paid rent every month on time and gave him the correct amount of notice prior to moving out. I left the flat clean and received an email response from him...
                      13-05-2018, 20:47 PM
                    • Reply to Dispute with landlord over deposit
                      spiritdreams
                      Landlord obviously seems to be in disstress over his finances, having taken our insurance from DPS instead of custodial, then spent your deposit, and could not afford to pay it back.

But that is none of your problem, the whole deposit scheme and laws around it is designed to protect tenants...
                      26-05-2018, 10:15 AM
                      leaseholder64
                      This seems to go beyond mere harassment, itself a criminal offence, to blackmail. You should seriously consider going to the police.

A debt recovery order can only be issued following a successful court action, so threatening one is premature, and, in any case, the courts will look unfavourably...
                      26-05-2018, 08:58 AM
                    • Section 21 help and forms
                      i-spark
                      Hi

I have a tenant that i want to give notice to to vacate the property. I think it is all going to go ammicably to be honest and im prepared to be flexible with them moving out in terms of money and dates. I do however want to do everything correctly aswell incase it all goes pear shaped...
                      24-05-2018, 07:06 AM
                    • Reply to Section 21 help and forms
                      mariner
                      Your hearing cost + Bailiff fees, which you can ask Court to award against T.
                      It can take up to 44 weeks to evict a reluctant T.
                      26-05-2018, 02:13 AM
                      mariner
                      Was this a sole or joint Tenancy?
                      Did My Deposit list you as 'Lead Tenant'?
                      Insurance-based or Custodial scheme?
                      26-05-2018, 01:47 AM
                      MarieMB
                      Hi all,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I’ve been away on holiday.

The deposit was definitely protected and I have raised a dispute through My Deposits. As they contact the landlord to let him know I had raised a dispute, he sent me a load more text messages...
                      26-05-2018, 00:49 AM
                    • Deposit protection scheme
                      Gandolf
                      Hi
                      As per usual looking for some help had a tenant move out in January, left damage ie new carpets with burns in, damaged doors, full house needed painting etc. She had only been in about 8 months and was brand new before she moved in
                      The DPS Still have the deposit 6 month later almost,...
                      25-05-2018, 11:15 AM
                    • Reply to Deposit protection scheme
                      Gandolf
                      Nah she’s just not repkyibg to anything and not responding to anycwsy of contact thanks...
                      26-05-2018, 00:25 AM
                    • Reply to Deposit protection scheme
                      Torchy
                      If you say that she is not disputing your claim on the deposit, she should have no problem giving you or the agents the deposit repayment code.
                      If you have this then the money should be paid back in a matter of days
                      25-05-2018, 22:59 PM
                    Working...
                    X