Have you successfully get the rent arrears back?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you successfully get the rent arrears back?

I got a tenant who is receiving universal credit for housing elements and do not work, now 4months rent in arrears, I am taking him to court for possession. Is the court able to issue a possession order and a pay-rent order at the same claim if I were successful? What option do I have if he still don't pay, and don't pay ccj either? What about if he eventually moved out and won't tell me his new address? Is ccj able to get his new address from somewhere else? I am wondering if there is anyone here could share your experiences here on whether or not you get your rent arrears back? any tips?

I have just evicted a tenant with 5 months rent arrears. You should get a money order as well as the possession order (i don't know how to apply for it as my solicitors handled all the details) I don't have experience on the debt recovery yet as i havn't gone that far yet. But with the money order i believe you can do sth about it.

Comment

For someone who doesn't work your chances of recover the money is pretty close to 0, even the court costs.

You may get a token payment of £1 a week over many many years if you are lucky.

I would just register a CCJ against the tenant and cut my losses.

Comment

Lakemk and spiritdreams, thanks very much for your reply, it's really helpful.
        It seems the benefit system in this country sucks, it just helps and encourages those lazy scumbags! It just so unfair for landlords.

Comment

Was said 'scumbag' working when hard done by landlord rented the property to them?
          "I'm afraid I didn't do enough background checks apart from checking her identity on Facebook" - ANON

What I say is based on my own experience and research - Please don't take as gospel without first checking the gospel yourself.

Comment

If they are on benefits,no chance.Put ccj on them .Court will award £1 a week and it will cost you more to enforce.The law needs changing,just because they are on benefits should not mean debts written off.I have just evicted tenants with rent arrears,no doubt utility bill debts and they have walked straight into a council property.If a ccj had been put on them before the credit checks would not have come back clear.

Comment

Originally posted by spiritdreams View Post
              For someone who doesn't work your chances of recover the money is pretty close to 0, even the court costs.

You may get a token payment of £1 a week over many many years if you are lucky.

I would just register a CCJ against the tenant and cut my losses.
              Agree. I would just get the CCJ and leave it there.

Comment

A tenant I evicted four years ago owed me £2800 and I obtained CCJ against her, she detailed her income and outgoings to the Court, having lost her job and now living with her mother, her outgoings included cigarettes, mobile phone bills of £40 and rent to her mother! She claimed she could only afford to pay £5 per month, I sent my reply to the Court but it still agreed with her, amazingly she is still paying but I don't think I'll be alive by the time the debt is cleared.

I obtained a CCJ on another tenant for £500 arrears knowing that she wouldn't pay but for the £30 fee I got the satisfaction of knowing she would have problems getting credit or another tenancy and if she ever came into money I could enforce it.

Comment

Thanks all, for your advice. I am awaiting for a possession order and money order, shall definitely get a CCJ after that.

Comment

Danneroo,

sorry do you mind explaining to me how I could obtain CCJ ? I have the money order in hand at the moment

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• tenancy agreement and co-owner
                      progress
                      If only one co-owner one can sign the tenancy agreement does this mean that this implies that the other agree to it. And what happens if only one co-owner signs a tenancy agreement and the other does not agree does it make the tenancy agreement invalid and what happens to the tenants who has already...
                      21-10-2018, 09:43 AM
                    • Tenant's boyfriend
                      tatemono
                      So, for the last year and a half we've had a young woman as a model tenant. She's improved the house no end and keeps it immaculate and only rarely raises very minimal and perfectly acceptable maintenance requests. Very pleasant lady all round.

The other day, our agent told us that she'd...
                      29-09-2018, 08:08 AM
                    • Reply to Tenant's boyfriend
                      boletus
                      If he's not causing a problem, then as the man said;...
                      21-10-2018, 09:37 AM
                    • Files over 6 Years Old...
                      VictoriaH
                      I've been doing a tidy up of my old files.
                      I have invoice folders for my estate agency from 2010/2011/2012.
                      Should i be disposing of everything older than 6 years?
                      Should i keep soft copies?
                      Regarding ASTs and rent statements, should i be getting rid of everything over 6 years,...
                      21-10-2018, 06:21 AM
                    • Reply to Files over 6 Years Old...
                      JK0
                      Keep everything IIWY.

HMRC can go back as long as they like if they suspect criminality. How will you prove you aren't a criminal if you don't have the papers?
                      21-10-2018, 09:36 AM
                      theartfullodger
                      Don't think you "have to give permission".

Consider tenant who doesn't pay rent one month. You don't have to give permission for this (or not..), they remain liable to eviction under s8g10. Or one who fails to pay rent 3 months in a row then starts again, but still 3 months...
                      21-10-2018, 09:31 AM
                      jpkeates
                      In reality, I can't see a s8 notice on that basis alone resulting in repossession, on the basis that a) it's disproportionate to be made homeless for a breach of that nature and b) that courts don't want to make people homeless if they can avoid it.

The term should probably be "which...
                      21-10-2018, 09:30 AM
                    • DPS Custodial Scheme & Joint Landlords
                      StuartH
                      Have I missed something, or is it impossible for joint landlords to be recorded in the DPS Custodial Scheme in the way that joint tenants are separately identified? Does anyone think that a problem could arise over deposit protection issues where the record shows the identity of only one of two joint...
                      19-10-2018, 15:34 PM
                    • Reply to DPS Custodial Scheme & Joint Landlords
                      jpkeates
                      It used to, but not any more (last time I used it was March - custodial scheme - so basing it on that date)....
                      21-10-2018, 09:21 AM
                      tatemono
                      The TA says

So, if he stays there, we have to give written permission or she's technically in breach of the TA. If we give written permission, I assume that opens us up to all sorts of issues if he starts being a nuisance. Am I wrong about that?

So, we could just tell...
                      21-10-2018, 09:08 AM
                    Working...
                    X