Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

accepting a guarantor

Hello everyone.

I'm after a little advice in relation to using/taking a guarantor on a 6 month AST?
    Its not a route i've ever taken or used before so any advice on the best way of going about this would be greatly received?

I have a young student nurse and her fiance who are interested in letting one of my properties. They are a little on the young side for my liking but have stressed the point of being able to provide a guarantor for the tenancy.

So, should I decide to take this route, how would I go about this in best practise?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

My personal view is that guarantors are only useful if they are a close relation of one or more of the tenants as pressure. You hope that they'll pay up because they feel bad, or pressure the tenant into paying.

Otherwise, deeds of guarantee are hard to enforce and very tricky to get right. Obviously, it doesn't matter how hard they are to enforce legally if the guarantor feels duty bound to honour the agreement.

Young couples are a risk in themselves. If one of them can't afford it, I'd possibly pass, although NHS nurses should be supported when possible.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Have a look at this thead: https://forums.landlordzone.co.uk/fo...ncy-guarantees

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Correct date for S21?
        mystic08
        i intend serving notice on a tenant. The property is in England and the tenancy began on 31/10/10. Periodic since 2013. Am I right in thinking the correct leaving date to put on the notice is 29/1/19? Thanks....
        14-11-2018, 15:16 PM
      • Reply to Correct date for S21?
        mystic08
        Thanks for that. I am absolutely fuming with the tenant and want to serve it asap. I own the property next door which was viewed yesterday morning by a couple who decided they wanted it. Ideal tenants, both in good jobs, who even wanted to decorate it themselves and put their own curtains in. They...
        14-11-2018, 16:05 PM
      • Tenant Disposing of Landlord Mail
        charliesunnysky
        The council claim they sent 4 reminders and a summons between October 2017 and the court case in May 2018 for an unpaid portion of the council tax to my tenanted rental property (I had called to informed them of my home address for any correspondence in the September when I bought the property, but...
        13-11-2018, 13:36 PM
      • Reply to Tenant Disposing of Landlord Mail
        theartfullodger
        Only if tenant asks in writing I think?...
        14-11-2018, 16:03 PM
      • Landlord ending tenancy
        Ceejay5
        I have interest from a prospective new tenant whose current landlord gave her two months' notice on 25 October (he wants to sell the property). Her rental period is monthly and runs from the 25th of each month so, as she has not yet given a month's notice, she feels obliged to pay the rent right up...
        11-11-2018, 10:50 AM
      • Reply to Landlord ending tenancy
        StuartH
        It's equally true to say that in those circumstances the tenant need not serve NTQ - he can simply go at the end of the fixed term. But your point does point to an inequality in the position of the two parties which is most unsatisfactory on the wider issue....
        14-11-2018, 15:59 PM
      • Section 214 Claim - Advice Requested
        dechelski
        Hi All,

I wonder if I can get some advice on a Section 214 claim that I wish to submit.

I had a 6 month tenancy which began in March 2018. It expired in October 2018 and I moved out without any issues. The managing agent was pretty poor throughout and advised that they would...
        14-11-2018, 15:39 PM
      • Reply to Section 214 Claim - Advice Requested
        KTC
        Yes.

A statutory penalty against the landlord or the agent of between one and three times (inclusive) of the amount of the deposit, plus court cost assuming you ask for it, plus any other recoverable cost that the court may award.

Name both as defendants...
        14-11-2018, 15:56 PM
      • Reply to Landlord ending tenancy
        StuartH
        The tenant may not wish to determine the tenancy, at all, but is faced with a notice which requires him to leave and which has adverse consequences if not complied with. Surely that is something different? And surely the case cited was not concerned with, and didn't consider the effect of a s21 notice?...
        14-11-2018, 15:52 PM
      • Reply to Correct date for S21?
        KTC
        The end date doesn't have to be in line with any specific date, the date now merely has to be long enough from service, which is at least two months unless the tenancy is contractual periodic where the period is longer than monthly in which case it could be longer.
        14-11-2018, 15:47 PM
      Working...
      X