Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

accepting a guarantor

Hello everyone.

I'm after a little advice in relation to using/taking a guarantor on a 6 month AST?
    Its not a route i've ever taken or used before so any advice on the best way of going about this would be greatly received?

I have a young student nurse and her fiance who are interested in letting one of my properties. They are a little on the young side for my liking but have stressed the point of being able to provide a guarantor for the tenancy.

So, should I decide to take this route, how would I go about this in best practise?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

My personal view is that guarantors are only useful if they are a close relation of one or more of the tenants as pressure. You hope that they'll pay up because they feel bad, or pressure the tenant into paying.

Otherwise, deeds of guarantee are hard to enforce and very tricky to get right. Obviously, it doesn't matter how hard they are to enforce legally if the guarantor feels duty bound to honour the agreement.

Young couples are a risk in themselves. If one of them can't afford it, I'd possibly pass, although NHS nurses should be supported when possible.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Have a look at this thead: https://forums.landlordzone.co.uk/fo...ncy-guarantees

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Electric Heaters
        medlock
        What are the best electric wall mounted heaters?
        I have a property that's electric only - i need to supply a wall mounted heater to them
        The convector ones are risky right?
        My budget is £150
        Would be good to get some advice as there are 100s of makes, models and types on the...
        24-09-2018, 18:37 PM
      • Reply to Electric Heaters
        theartfullodger
        Best for what - appearance, running costs, reliability, ease of installation?

Why not use storage radiators - cheapest to run for electric? (Forget the shiny adverts...- I've three properties over 45 miles from Gas main)

What is heating the property currently?
        24-09-2018, 18:43 PM
      • Bailiff Fees for overlooking Council Tax Bill
        medlock
        I overlooked a £25 council tax bill, for several days void between tenancies.
        I've just received a bailiff letter requesting just over £300.
        I'm going to pay the council directly their £25.
        Can the bailiffs legally enforce their fees?
        What is the law with bailiffs these days?...
        24-09-2018, 18:30 PM
      • Reply to Bailiff Fees for overlooking Council Tax Bill
        theartfullodger
        I would pay everything immediately "Paid under duress" - to avoid further fees.

Then take you time trying to recover ££££s

Could you kindly outline why do you think your not paying was so special compared to other non-council-tax-payers that you are entitled to...
        24-09-2018, 18:40 PM
      • Some interesting terms in a new TA - opinions?
        davett
        Agent has been busy with the tenancy agreement, some clauses are not as I'd expect and some look dodgy to me, I'd be interested in your opinions.
        1. Should an AST have an initial term or a fixed term?
        2. Requiring one month's notice from the penultimate month for a fixed term AST is not correct
        3. Can
        24-09-2018, 16:38 PM
      • Reply to Some interesting terms in a new TA - opinions?
        davett
        Thanks for the input.

I read 8 as saying tenant is responsible for any blockage. I'd dispute this in some cases - for instance I owned a house where the previous owner had routed the loo waste pipe via a 270 degree bend. It was inevitable it would block. In such a circumstance I'd not expect...
        24-09-2018, 18:22 PM
      • Reply to Some interesting terms in a new TA - opinions?
        MdeB
        1. It should have a Term.
        2. If provision for contractual periodic, then OK; if not, then meaningless.
        3. Yes, but if LL has not agreed to it, then the money belongs to the LL.
        4. OK. The key word here is "Cause".
        5. Not enforceable if not seen by T before tenancy starts.
        6. LL needs to protect
        24-09-2018, 18:16 PM
      • Landlord Getting Sued For Deposit
        awharton04
        I hope someone on this forum can help.

I am a UK amateur landlord living abroad. I recently had a tenant moved out without a problem and I refunded 100% of her deposit shortly after she vacated the flat. Stupidly, I forgot to register the deposit of over GBP 1,500.

I just received...
        24-09-2018, 04:27 AM
      • Reply to Landlord Getting Sued For Deposit
        MdeB
        1. did you let direct or through an agent?

2. if you make a reasonable offer that is declined, then judge may not award costs against you.
        24-09-2018, 18:00 PM
      • rent arrears-eviction advise
        Lizzib27
        I have rented my property out to current tenant since July 2014. Deposit was never protected.
        i now am wanting to evict tenant as she is over 4 months in arrears with rent and I have sold the property.

i know I need to give her the deposit back before I issue a section 21 or section...
        24-09-2018, 12:02 PM
      Working...
      X