Section 8 eviction notice

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Section 8 eviction notice


    I have a tennant that has not paid rent for a number of months and want to issue a section 8 notice, is thare a template and what is the procedure if he doesn't leave? He is not communicating with me in any way.

    Yes, section 8 notices have a prescribed format and need to be completed in a specific way (laying out the grounds particularly).

    You then apply to the courts for repossession when the notice expires.
    Then there's a hearing.

    If you are unsure, it might be sensible to get professional help.
    Either a solicitor or someone who specialises in repossession.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


      I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

      I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.


        Do you use a letting agent or manage yourself? If a LA then they can sort the serving of S8 but not the rest (they'll peddle their own legal team).


        Latest Activity


        • Electric meter access

          hopefully a quick question, can I lock the communal electric cupboard?

          Access would be through the local agent?

          This is is to stop tampering with the meters?

          23-06-2019, 14:09 PM
        • Reply to Electric meter access

          This is a block of flats (not a HMO).

          The meters are sub meters (there is one energy supply meter which splits into each flats sub wifi/3g meter - to allow top ups). As such they do not need access to the sub meters or main meter.

          The consumer box and isolation...
          24-06-2019, 08:51 AM
        • Son Wants To Rent Flat
          My student son wants to rent my flat. I'd have a lease agreement set up in his name only. He wants to do the do the 'rent a room' scheme by renting out the spare room to his student pal - is this possible? What paperwork would he need to keep, other than the receipt of payment? If the friend isn't on...
          22-06-2019, 12:08 PM
        • Reply to Son Wants To Rent Flat
          How is this tax efficient?
          Giving a child money isn't a taxable event, receiving rent is income and taxable.

          If there's a BTL mortgage on the flat it's possibly a non-starter (and check any landlord's insurance).
          24-06-2019, 08:21 AM
        • 'Compliance Indemnity' now being charged by agent?
          After entering into a new contract with new tenants, my existing letting agency has started to charge me £12 per month (on top of their fully managed fee) for 'compliance indemnity', which despite reading the explanation several times I'm struggling to get my head around, and don't particularly trust...
          23-06-2019, 17:09 PM
        • Reply to 'Compliance Indemnity' now being charged by agent?
          Insurance is exempt from VAT (and an Insurance Premium Tax would normally be levied instead).
          So whatever they're charging for doesn't sound like insurance.

          Businesses would normally have some kind of professional indemnity insurance which should cover this kind of thing.
          24-06-2019, 08:18 AM
        • Reply to Son Wants To Rent Flat
          Parents often provide financial help to their student offspring, this seems a very tax efficient way of doing so. If you have until now provided more direct financial support, this could be an alternative.
          24-06-2019, 08:07 AM
        • Suicide of tenant
          I rented out my house while working in Europe. One of my tenants commited suicide about three weeks ago and after a several days or more the other two tenants were worried and got the police to break down the door of his room and find his body. A tragedy that has obviously upset me enormously but without...
          17-06-2019, 16:34 PM
        • Reply to Suicide of tenant
          Has there yet been an inquest? Often what may appear to be a suicide ends up with a coroner recording a verdict of death by accident or misadventure or even a narrative verdict.
          24-06-2019, 08:05 AM
        • Reply to Son Wants To Rent Flat
          I already own it - before he was born. Getting the runaround from letting agent so tempted to get son in. He says he'll get a job to pay his share.
          24-06-2019, 02:45 AM