Tenant gone AWOL

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant gone AWOL

My tenant is on a AST for a year running until November 2018. She has been very difficult to let to and complains consistently mostly about nothing, every time she has complained with a problem with the property I have got workman to go in and rectify the problems instantly causing me to operate at a great loss. The tenant has now said that all of the issues at the house are making her stress worse and she is moving out this weekend and posting the keys back to me. She has not paid the rent due for this month. I want her gone asap tbh and she seems happy to go. What would I need to do? I have never had to deal with a troublesome tenant before. Should I just ask her to put it in writing she would like to leave then agree to end the lease instantly? (she hasn't given me any formal notice and just sent me a text message yesterday) Can I keep her deposit for unpaid rent?

If possible get her to sign a deed of surrender. If not, her note saying she's leaving and the returned keys should be enough but do tell her she owes rent and outline exactly what she owes in terms of dilapidations

Comment

Originally posted by Landlord9021 View Post
      Can I keep her deposit for unpaid rent?
      You can claim what she owes you from the deposit.

Comment

You can sue her for any rent outstanding. Deposit is primarily for T damage.
        Only accept keys for 'safe keeping', unless she is prepared to sign a dated Surrender of T that day. Just returning keys does not legally terminate a T, but a dated Surrender ends it on day it is signed.

Comment

Originally posted by Landlord9021 View Post
          Can I keep her deposit for unpaid rent?
          If your tenancy agreement says you can.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X