Tenant gone AWOL

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant gone AWOL

My tenant is on a AST for a year running until November 2018. She has been very difficult to let to and complains consistently mostly about nothing, every time she has complained with a problem with the property I have got workman to go in and rectify the problems instantly causing me to operate at a great loss. The tenant has now said that all of the issues at the house are making her stress worse and she is moving out this weekend and posting the keys back to me. She has not paid the rent due for this month. I want her gone asap tbh and she seems happy to go. What would I need to do? I have never had to deal with a troublesome tenant before. Should I just ask her to put it in writing she would like to leave then agree to end the lease instantly? (she hasn't given me any formal notice and just sent me a text message yesterday) Can I keep her deposit for unpaid rent?

If possible get her to sign a deed of surrender. If not, her note saying she's leaving and the returned keys should be enough but do tell her she owes rent and outline exactly what she owes in terms of dilapidations

Comment

Originally posted by Landlord9021 View Post
      Can I keep her deposit for unpaid rent?
      You can claim what she owes you from the deposit.

Comment

You can sue her for any rent outstanding. Deposit is primarily for T damage.
        Only accept keys for 'safe keeping', unless she is prepared to sign a dated Surrender of T that day. Just returning keys does not legally terminate a T, but a dated Surrender ends it on day it is signed.

Comment

Originally posted by Landlord9021 View Post
          Can I keep her deposit for unpaid rent?
          If your tenancy agreement says you can.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Correct date for S21?
            mystic08
            i intend serving notice on a tenant. The property is in England and the tenancy began on 31/10/10. Periodic since 2013. Am I right in thinking the correct leaving date to put on the notice is 29/1/19? Thanks....
            14-11-2018, 15:16 PM
          • Reply to Correct date for S21?
            mystic08
            Thanks for that. I am absolutely fuming with the tenant and want to serve it asap. I own the property next door which was viewed yesterday morning by a couple who decided they wanted it. Ideal tenants, both in good jobs, who even wanted to decorate it themselves and put their own curtains in. They...
            14-11-2018, 16:05 PM
          • Tenant Disposing of Landlord Mail
            charliesunnysky
            The council claim they sent 4 reminders and a summons between October 2017 and the court case in May 2018 for an unpaid portion of the council tax to my tenanted rental property (I had called to informed them of my home address for any correspondence in the September when I bought the property, but...
            13-11-2018, 13:36 PM
          • Reply to Tenant Disposing of Landlord Mail
            theartfullodger
            Only if tenant asks in writing I think?...
            14-11-2018, 16:03 PM
          • Landlord ending tenancy
            Ceejay5
            I have interest from a prospective new tenant whose current landlord gave her two months' notice on 25 October (he wants to sell the property). Her rental period is monthly and runs from the 25th of each month so, as she has not yet given a month's notice, she feels obliged to pay the rent right up...
            11-11-2018, 10:50 AM
          • Reply to Landlord ending tenancy
            StuartH
            It's equally true to say that in those circumstances the tenant need not serve NTQ - he can simply go at the end of the fixed term. But your point does point to an inequality in the position of the two parties which is most unsatisfactory on the wider issue....
            14-11-2018, 15:59 PM
          • Section 214 Claim - Advice Requested
            dechelski
            Hi All,

I wonder if I can get some advice on a Section 214 claim that I wish to submit.

I had a 6 month tenancy which began in March 2018. It expired in October 2018 and I moved out without any issues. The managing agent was pretty poor throughout and advised that they would...
            14-11-2018, 15:39 PM
          • Reply to Section 214 Claim - Advice Requested
            KTC
            Yes.

A statutory penalty against the landlord or the agent of between one and three times (inclusive) of the amount of the deposit, plus court cost assuming you ask for it, plus any other recoverable cost that the court may award.

Name both as defendants...
            14-11-2018, 15:56 PM
          • Reply to Landlord ending tenancy
            StuartH
            The tenant may not wish to determine the tenancy, at all, but is faced with a notice which requires him to leave and which has adverse consequences if not complied with. Surely that is something different? And surely the case cited was not concerned with, and didn't consider the effect of a s21 notice?...
            14-11-2018, 15:52 PM
          • Reply to Correct date for S21?
            KTC
            The end date doesn't have to be in line with any specific date, the date now merely has to be long enough from service, which is at least two months unless the tenancy is contractual periodic where the period is longer than monthly in which case it could be longer.
            14-11-2018, 15:47 PM
          Working...
          X