Paid in advance, moved in, to find a LOT of mould. Baby due in 5 weeks. Help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We purchased a mould sterilizing wash (streiwash i think?) from a decorating centre - dilute with water paint it on & let dry for 24 hours. Scrape/brush off & reapply neat leave to dry. This kills the spores & inhibits growth + I think you can add to paint to help stop it coming back..ventilate or ivest in a dehumidifer hopefully landlord will sort the glittering- should all be good then. Best of luck

Comment

The gutters were just blocked, so when I cleared everything out of them water didn't drip down the walls any more.
      The mould hasn't come back since.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Bit of a bloody cheek for the neighbours to block a shared downpipe, should be a simple fix though.

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
          The gutters were just blocked, so when I cleared everything out of them water didn't drip down the walls any more.
          The mould hasn't come back since.
          That's reassuring! Hopefully if they sort the guttering then this should resolve. I guess I just need to push for them to do it, promptly!

Comment

Originally posted by Hillsy101 View Post
            Bit of a bloody cheek for the neighbours to block a shared downpipe, should be a simple fix though.
            Haha my Dad said the same! Apparently they 'didn't realise'...

Comment

The saga continues:

Toilet was blocked upon first flush days ago so haven't dared use it since. Today as we were decorating it just randomly started to overflow and has flooded the bathroom floor and come down through the ceiling into the kitchen, through the light too (electrics are now off). Water switched off. Had to call an emergency plumber out.

Apparently this happened to the previous tenants, as the (thankfully) amazing handyman informed us, and the kitchen ceiling 'came through'...

I have no idea how to move forward with this now. We basically can't move in to a property we have paid rent for. We can't even get in now to decorate or move stuff in with no electricity or water. Surely the landlord had checked these things, you'd think?!!

Where do we stand? Seriously fed up

Comment

Hi Sarahloisee91, This house is not fit to be let and you should get a full refund. The landlord must have known its condition and cannot possibly be in a Landlords Association or must at least be aware of the mould and her liability once it is found . She cannot let a property in this condition. You have identified the guttering problem for her and you can bet the roof needs attention too. There will be resistance from the landlord because this work can cost money - I just paid £4,500 to have chimney flashings,new gutters and roof repairs.Sometimes there are internal works required too. I recommend you do not move in - once you move in it becomes your problem.
                Once the work has been done the house will need time to dry out and there is the risk that the landlord will not have fully sorted out the problem and you will run a health risk.You may not have time for this solution to be place for you to have a suitable house for your baby. If the landlord is hesitant or reluctant to fully cooperate I suggest you mention the Environmental Health Department and the Private Sector Housing Dept in your Local Council who will take on cases such as these and advise you accordingly.
                I had an issue like this as a landlord and the only way to deal with the house is to run a series of tests when the house is empty, particularly checking for damp after it has rained, and fix the water ingress. The house then needs to fully dry out.
                Someone in your condition needs a far better house than this - and also a far better Landlord.

Comment

Originally posted by sarahlouisee91 View Post
                  MdeB,
                  We haven't seen an EPC for it - we have only had the tenancy agreement so I have no idea!

We have had no inventory
                  These may be plusses if you decide you want to stay beyond the 6 months.

No inventory means LL should not be able to claim anything for damages at the end of the tenancy.

No EPC means that LL cannot issue a valid S21 notice (notice hat they want possession of the property).
                  You can get a copy of EPC from https://www.epcregister.com/reportSe...ressByPostcode.
                  Doing so will not mean that LL no longer has to give you a copy.

If LL has not done this, then it is likely that LL has not done other things that he/she is required to and which allow service of a valid S21.
                  e.g..:
                  1. If there is gas at the property, then LL is required to give you a copy of current Gas Safety certificate BEFORE you move in.
                    A recent (non-binding) court case suggests that a S21 notice can never be valid if this was not done.
                  2. LL is required to give you a copy of the HowTo Rent guide before a S21 is valid (paper copy unless you have agreed to email; link is not sufficient).
                    I suggest that you read it to find out what LLs have to do.
                    Available at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-to-rent
                  3. Has LL protected deposit and served Prescribed Information on you?
                    This has to be done within 30 days of deposit being paid.
                    If not done, then
                    a) LL cannot issue valid S21 (I think 'until he/she returns the deposit to you', but others more-knowledgeable will correct me), and
                    b) You can take LL to court for a penalty to be awarded to you (1 to 3 times deposit value).
                    If tenancy continues into a Statutory Periodic tenancy and landlord has still not complied with deposit requirements, then you should be able to claim penalty for bothe the original tenancy and teh statutory periodic tenancy (but some county court judges do not interpret the law that way, even after the Superstrike judgement).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                  X