Tenant Finding: Is this enquiry genuine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chelmet
    replied
    Right guys, thanks very much for the prompt responses, definitely appreciated. I've since had another viewing booked, which has settled my nerves somewhat. On the off-change that it's a scam I'm going to ignore it until I know whether I need it or not, and I appreciate the comment about renting to non-UK citizens as my first time, it doesn't sound like the best of ideas. Cheers everyone.

Leave a comment:

• boletus
    replied
    As above.

Originally posted by Chelmet View Post
    it could be a lecturer moving to the UK to take up a post at the university.
    Doubt it, but have a search online, anyone doing that kind of job will show up.

Leave a comment:

• Darth Wookie
    replied
    You can't stop searching for a tenant just because someone might turn up in a couple of weeks. Keep advertising and viewings on the go. If it's not taken by the 25th, begin the correct referencing and eligibility process just as you would for anyone else. You will be making your tenancy choices based on facts, not conjecture, and certainly with no consideration to their telephone prefix.

Leave a comment:

• amazondean
    replied
    I would leave well alone. your gut feeling is telling you something! If your house is priced right, you should let it. It sounds like it is in a city location so there should be no problem finding a tenant.

I wouldn't entertain anyone who tries to haggle the rent. If they are confident enough to start haggling the rent, they will be up to all sorts of tricks later. Put the rent at the right price and wait for someone who appears genuine from the start!

Leave a comment:

• theartfullodger
    replied
    I have a Saudi student, +96 number, excellent.

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    I wouldn't rent to a non-uk citizen as your first time.
    It might be genuine, but you want to start as simply as possible.

Leave a comment:

• Chelmet
    started a topic Tenant Finding: Is this enquiry genuine?

Tenant Finding: Is this enquiry genuine?

Hi, first time landlord. My property is a 3-bed house and I do not intend to use a letting agent other than for advertising; as such it is on Rightmove, Zoopla, and Primelocation - ad went live last night. It's priced at the top-end of the market with the expectation that there may be some haggling.

Anyway, I recieved an enquiry today and I'm suspicious that it's not genuine, but I don't want to dismiss a potential tenant out of hand. I've removed any identifying information, but this is what I was sent:

Hello, dears there. I hope this email finds you well. I am interested in this house and I see it as my future home for my family. I have some questions regarding it and its area. 1. is it close to <CITY> University? 2. Is the area good and quiet for a family? 3. Does it include fridge, washing machine, and dryer? If not can you provide them? 4. I am coming to <CITY> on March 25, so can I reserve it? Thanks and best regards. <NAME>, Contact: <NUMBER>

The person's name is Islamic-looking (god I hate saying that), and the contact number starts "96", which I assume is for +96, Saudi Arabia. Is this an enquiry from a Nigerian Prince? I don't know the common rental scams and I'm suspicious, but equally it could be a lecturer moving to the UK to take up a post at the university.

Do I reply in good faith, or does this have too many warning signs?

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X