Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Section 8 Procedure

Hello everyone.

I was just wondering if someone can assist with a query I have. I served a section 8 notice which expired about 2 months ago. I have delayed issuing proceedings due due to unrealted matters but now wish to proceed. Will I have to re-serve the notice or can I still use the same one to issue proceedings.

Thank you.

(Assuming the stated ground is still valid) Form 3 itself clearly states "After the date shown in section 5, court proceedings may be begun at once but not later than 12 months from the date on which this notice is served. After this time the notice will lapse and a new notice must be served before possession can be sought."
    I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

Comment

Thank you KTC. I had completely missed that note in the notice.

Thanks again.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Management contract advice
        MrQ
        I rent my property via a letting agent using their fully managed service, for various reasons I need to switch to another management company. I have given notice in writing to the current agents and I have received the response below. I believe it is only the first 6 months of the agreement that I could...
        12-12-2018, 10:53 AM
      • Reply to Management contract advice
        jpkeates
        Yes. The existing tenant would have vacated, which allows you to serve notice.

If their service is crappy, complain about it.

It's worrying that you think they're so crappy you'd be prepared to evict someone from their home and go without rent for a time to rid yourself of...
        12-12-2018, 12:37 PM
        MrQ
        I've heard of people putting the rent up, tenants deciding to leave due to increase, then free to switch, could this be an option? - is it legal?
        12-12-2018, 12:23 PM
        MrQ
        Thank you again for explaining this more clearly, I fear now they know I want to change they will be hard work from now on. I'm so annoyed at myself, I asked at the time they took it over what the notice was and was told I had to agree for minimum 6 months and then months notice, I'm currently trawling...
        12-12-2018, 12:22 PM
        jpkeates
        Point 18 says that you cannot enter an agreement with the tenant within six months of the end of the term of this agreement with the agent. It doesn't say anything about the relationship with the agent itself.

Point 19 says that if you break the agreement in point 18, you have to pay compensation...
        12-12-2018, 12:09 PM
        theartfullodger
        Evicting without cause? That's s21! What is most commonly used by private landlords to evict, it's the "for no reason at all" eviction route...

Giving tenant notice, evicting them, probably ends your contract with agent. Otherwise you may find you are still liable to pay their...
        12-12-2018, 11:53 AM
        MrQ
        Thank you for responding and apologies if I sound a bit thick, please could you let me know which part of the statement relates to me not being able to get out this contract within a months notice? Point 18 states within the first 6 months and point 24 states a months notice to be given. the statement...
        12-12-2018, 11:44 AM
        jpkeates
        There are a number of issues.

You have agreed to this contract, and, as far as I can see it says what the agent says it does.
        Which makes things a bit tricky.

The "compensation" has to be in line with the loss that the agent is making, otherwise it's a penalty,...
        12-12-2018, 11:15 AM
      • section 21 and how to rent guide
        lavy
        Hi do you have to serve an up to date how to rent guide when a tenancy moves to a periodic tenancy from a standard 6 months tenancy or is the original how to rent guide sufficient in order to serve a valid section 21 notice...
        09-12-2018, 10:11 AM
      • Reply to section 21 and how to rent guide
        KTC
        No. Serve it before, even just a day before, not at the same time....
        12-12-2018, 11:08 AM
      Working...
      X