Ending of rolling month contract

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ending of rolling month contract

Hi, 1st time forum poster so hoping for advice. I'm a landlord with 1 rental property rented out since end of June 2016. The tenancy was for 1 year fixed to which came and went and was happy to keep it rolling on a month to month contract. My 1st and only ever tennant has decided she's moving out and buying her 1st home which isn't a problem as she's been a fantastic tennant. What I'm wondering is as she's on a rolling month to month contract where her date to pay rent is on the 30th of each month is if she gives 1 month notice say hypothetically tomorrow does that mean 10th April is her last day in the property or is the 1 month notice from her next rent payment which isn't due for 3 weeks?
    thank you to anyone who reads and responds

You can agree between the two of you whatever you want.

If tenancy is a statutory periodic tenancy, i.e. the original tenancy did not provide for the tenancy to continue from period to period on a contractual basis, then the period of a tenancy depends on how often rent was payable just before the fixed term ended so if that was monthly a period is one month; the period run from the day after the fixed term ended. A tenant notice to quit is then of at least one period of tenancy, dated to expire on the last day or first day of a period of tenancy.
    I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by KTC View Post
      You can agree between the two of you whatever you want.
      This is probably the most often missed point in responses on this forum.

Provided the two parties agree, any arrangement to end a tenancy is probably OK.
      The law is there as a backstop if people can't come to their own arrangement.

If the tenant has been fantastic, let them move out when it suits them and you.
      They'll know their completion date a few weeks in advance and they don't often move much, so you can start to advertise for replacement tenants and your happy tenant will tell everyone what a nice landlord you are (which is a big selling benefit for tenants).
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Ex tenant and arrears
        by Perce
        Hello All

I have issued multiple CCJs. Three of them are still unpaid.

I have also issued Third Party Debt Order which was successful.

But the ex T. still owes me money and more claims are to be issued .

I have asked for the deposit but the ex....
        22-09-2021, 20:08 PM
      • Reply to Another Sec 21 Notice
        by theartfullodger
        Thanks to Thatcher's 1988 Housing Act a tenancy continues, monthly periodic, if tenant remains in occupation.

Unless evicting tenants through court prior you / agent cannot (legally impossible to) prevent this.

Education?
        22-09-2021, 19:51 PM
      • Another Sec 21 Notice
        by ispookie
        We are a recent landlords after moving house. The house is a four bedroom in England, managed through a letting company, EPC, Rent protection, inventory etc were all done including the necessary checks on the tenants. The tenancy was setup for 12 months, ending in March 2021. Right from the start...
        22-09-2021, 16:20 PM
      • Reply to Utilities Account Manager
        by Neelix
        Just watch out as they seem to be falling like flies ATM
        22-09-2021, 19:28 PM
      • Utilities Account Manager
        by michaelwgroves
        I have a large portfolio, I got tired of spending ours on the phone each week managing utilities between tenancies. I found a utility company that gave me a dedicated account team. I simply email the tenancy change and it gets sorted. However, there are a few challenges they are struggling to overcome,...
        22-09-2021, 07:15 AM
      • Reply to Condensation/mould mid-tenancy
        by mokka
        I beg to differ. From experience it was slum landlords not sorting out the property by means of fixing penetrating damp along with missing roof tiles for years. Black mould covering a whole wall, damaged stairs that was just clipped back together under the stair case along with collapsing kitchen ceiling...
        22-09-2021, 19:27 PM
      • Condensation/mould mid-tenancy
        by bethy
        We have a nice couple living in our one bed flat. It's an old building with thick, uninsulated walls. We've owned it for 10 years, and in that time had 1 tenant who managed to cover the place with mould due to how she was living in it, everyone else since has been absolutely fine.

I visited...
        20-09-2021, 12:42 PM
      • Dispute deposit based on damage that landlord didn't repair?
        by kankan
        Hello everyone,

After signing the contract, but before moving in, the flat suffered some flood damage. 3 rooms needed repainting because of water stains and paint falling off.
        We were promised that this will be taken care of after moving in. We followed up several times, but the repairs...
        22-09-2021, 19:26 PM
      • Reply to Condensation/mould mid-tenancy
        by Hudson01
        The above post just goes to prove that you cannot help some people.
        22-09-2021, 19:13 PM
      • Reply to Another Sec 21 Notice
        by ispookie
        This is why I think the current letting agents are not very good! All I asked the letting agents was to make sure the tenancy ends on the last day as per the contract and not to extend it....
        22-09-2021, 18:55 PM
      Working...
      X