Renting to smokers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inventory and photograph all UPVC window ledges and door steps for the usual fag burn marks.
    I also note on the inventory " no smell of smoking".
    Not that you will be able to claim anything via the useless deposit system but if the tenants see it documented, it may make them a little more careful.

Comment

Originally posted by theartfullodger View Post
      on doorstep, even in bad winters in Scottish highlands: They were 'arder than me...
      er... no... they were just addicts...

Comment

Interesting to read this thread as a smoker tenant. I am fully aware many wouldn’t think twice about smoking inside but personally I know neither myself or my partner would do it, partially because we know it would make the house smell and partially because we have both said even if we owned the property we would still not smoke inside. We’ve been renting for 5 years and haven’t smoked inside once. Even in the rubbish weather we have had lately we’ve run across to our shed (this is ours and will be taken at the point we leave, all with full permission) rather than smoking inside.
        I can completely understand why people would be hesetant to rent to smokers because of the damage it can cause and the smell but we aren’t all bad I promise haha.

Comment

Another smoking tenant here too haha.
          I think the author should consider a few things. What is the property?
          I always smoke outside as otherwise my belongings smell bad too. That's why I never rent properties with no direct access to a garden/balcony/street. I absolutely agree with jpkeates that smokers are addicts. In that sense if the property is say on the fourth floor with no lift and balcony, I'd think that's quite suspicious. I personally wouldn't make 15-20 trips down and upstairs a day especially in the middle of the night. Obviously, that doesn't mean that someone will definitely smoke outside even if there is a garden...
          If you end up with this tenant, do an inspection after a month and if he has smoked inside, evict ASAP to avoid further damage and withhold the deposit for damages. I'm pretty sure the damage at the time won't be too big and painting and professional cleaning will probably be enough.
          I absolutely see your point but
          1) you aren't obliged to accept him as a tenant
          2) if you do choose to go on and sign a tenancy agreement with him, treat the fact that you know he is a smoker as a useful information. Nothing prevents a prospective tenant from lying that he/she does not smoke so at least in this case you can be more cautious.

Comment

Originally posted by andaluz View Post
            If you end up with this tenant, do an inspection after a month and if he has smoked inside, evict ASAP
            Not that I'd personally evict just for smoking inside but so you understand it from a landlords perspective.

To evict ASAP means around 9 months, if things go smoothly.

You can't evict in the initial 6 months fixed term and it takes another 4 months after that to get a possession order and the bailiffs- If you get everything right and the stars are all in alignment.

Comment

boletus, I absolutely understand your point. I wish I could say that most smokers are decent people who'd never smoke inside someone else's property but I know people who do and ones who don't... Can s8 not be served if the contract forbids smoking inside the premises? The tenant will be in breach of contract if he smokes inside. I'm guessing it all comes down to the judge's decision and I have no experience with that. Though that seems like a quite straightforward breach of contract to me. I can't imagine why the s8 route exists at all if a landlord can't even use it to prevent further damage to the property.
              Either way maybe it's not worth the headache so try and find another tenant if you're concerned about this one.

Comment

Andaluz, it would be s8 discretionary ground 12, breach of agreement.

But as it is very difficult to evict even a non paying brothel running tenant using s8, the chances of successfully using it to evict a tenant for occasionally having a crafty fag inside when its tipping down outside are pretty slim.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                X