Gas Heater

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Gas Heater

    Dear Friends,

    I have additional room which I am not using, so looking to rent the room to a lodger. In the room there is a Gas heater. I have attached the photo.
    I heard it is not under law to have the Gas heater anymore in room as it is dangerous if by mistake Gas leaked which will cause fire,I am not totally sure about the laws please kindly let me know.

    In that situation i am looking to disconnect the Gas heater and buy a Electric heater. But there is a concern from my side if I disconnect the Gas heater and buy a electric heater when i give the room including bills. I am just thinking if the electricity bills shoot up.
    As I hear that running GAS heaters are economical.

    Please kindly suggest me what i have to do.

    Gas heater

    I own a property where bills are included and it is a concern that heaters can be left on - even for days. Gas fires are okay in lounges but are discouraged in sleeping areas. Any new fire fitted must be a modern type with safety features. My own recent experience is of having a gas fire in a studio room, which was fine as long as the fire passed its annual safety test. When it failed the fitter gave me the choice of a) A new gas fire with all the modern safety features or b) having it removed and provide alternative heating i.e. he could not repair the old gas heater.
    There is also the safety aspect to consider, e.g. potential for fire damage etc. On balance I would go for a decent wall mounted heater with timers and thermostats. However, I would not install one where I was paying the electric. You could submeter the entire room, which comes at a cost, or you could possibly put a meter ( even a credit type not coin) on just the electric heater supply and give the tenants some form of allowance. Even 1 kilowatt left on 24 hours will cost around £3.50, around £25 a week. ( Based on 15p a Kw unit x 24 x 7)


      You can give an average of what you expect from that room over the year if you put a electric heater in. For example 600 pounds electric usage over the 12 months tenancy . So you would divide 600 by 12 yearly payments. So 50 pounds a month on top of your room rent. If you give they access to hot water them split that costs 50 50 over the month too. Get them to pay there own council bedroom tax.

      I hope this helps.


        Thanks Nigel and Landlord in the UK. That a very good advice. As it is not safe i will look to disconnect and replace with the electric or Gas safety one .


          Only let a qualigied Gas Safe Plumber to inspect or disconnect the fire. I would just replace it with a new similar fire, connected to same gas supply.


          Latest Activity


          • Management contract advice
            I rent my property via a letting agent using their fully managed service, for various reasons I need to switch to another management company. I have given notice in writing to the current agents and I have received the response below. I believe it is only the first 6 months of the agreement that I could...
            12-12-2018, 10:53 AM
          • Reply to Management contract advice
            I've heard of people putting the rent up, tenants deciding to leave due to increase, then free to switch, could this be an option? - is it legal?
            12-12-2018, 12:23 PM
          • Reply to Management contract advice
            Thank you again for explaining this more clearly, I fear now they know I want to change they will be hard work from now on. I'm so annoyed at myself, I asked at the time they took it over what the notice was and was told I had to agree for minimum 6 months and then months notice, I'm currently trawling...
            12-12-2018, 12:22 PM
          • Reply to Management contract advice
            Point 18 says that you cannot enter an agreement with the tenant within six months of the end of the term of this agreement with the agent. It doesn't say anything about the relationship with the agent itself.

            Point 19 says that if you break the agreement in point 18, you have to pay compensation...
            12-12-2018, 12:09 PM
          • Reply to Management contract advice
            Evicting without cause? That's s21! What is most commonly used by private landlords to evict, it's the "for no reason at all" eviction route...

            Giving tenant notice, evicting them, probably ends your contract with agent. Otherwise you may find you are still liable to pay their...
            12-12-2018, 11:53 AM
          • Reply to Management contract advice
            Thank you for responding and apologies if I sound a bit thick, please could you let me know which part of the statement relates to me not being able to get out this contract within a months notice? Point 18 states within the first 6 months and point 24 states a months notice to be given. the statement...
            12-12-2018, 11:44 AM
          • Reply to Management contract advice
            There are a number of issues.

            You have agreed to this contract, and, as far as I can see it says what the agent says it does.
            Which makes things a bit tricky.

            The "compensation" has to be in line with the loss that the agent is making, otherwise it's a penalty,...
            12-12-2018, 11:15 AM
          • section 21 and how to rent guide
            Hi do you have to serve an up to date how to rent guide when a tenancy moves to a periodic tenancy from a standard 6 months tenancy or is the original how to rent guide sufficient in order to serve a valid section 21 notice...
            09-12-2018, 10:11 AM
          • Reply to section 21 and how to rent guide
            No. Serve it before, even just a day before, not at the same time....
            12-12-2018, 11:08 AM
          • Calculating/Limiting My Risk

            My former home is up for rent. Current tenants are leaving in a couple of weeks. I have a set of prospective tenants who really want the house. On my pre-screening questionnaire, I asked the question 'do you have a good credit history'. The answer came back as No, followed by an...
            11-12-2018, 01:03 AM