Problem with Inventory

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with Inventory

I had new tenants move in on 2 December. Shortly before (I think the morning of) I had an inventory clerk attend the property and prepare an inventory. He had actually prepared an inventory on the property at the time the previous tenants moved in back in 2015.

On 11 December the clerk sent me the inventory report. It was inaccurate in a number of places because he had taken the 2015 report and incompletely updated it. By way of a example, the report described the lightshades as they had existed in 2015, but those lightshades had been replaced (and this is clearly visible when you compare the photos taken in 2015 and 2017). In another example, in 2015, he commented that the decoration around the electrical board was poor and took a picture of it. The comment remained in the 2017 inventory, even though the flat had been redecorated immediately before he redid the inventory and the decoration rectified. There was no equivalent picture taken in 2017. There are many other inaccuracies and not all of them are unfavourable to me. The carpets and beds were new in 2015 and the 2015 inventory states this. The 2017 stills says that the carpets and beds are new even though by now they are now 2 years old.

I reviewed the report and sent it back to the inventory clerk listing all of the inaccuracies I identified and asked him to update the report so that it could then be sent to the tenants. He did not respond. I followed up approximately a week later and still no response, by which time we were into the Christmas break. I have not followed up since.

My question is, should I pursue this with the clerk just in case there is an issue when the tenants move out. As a stop gap measure, on or around the date the tenants moved in I sent them emails attaching photographs from the property, so there is something of a record of what it looked like, just not as detailed. One last point to note - the inventory clerk has not charged me for the inventory he prepared (which I take as tacit acknowledgment of his shoddy work). Views appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ignoring the back story, essentially you're a landlord and you don't have a condition report for the start of the tenancy.
    That's only going to be an issue if the tenant and you disagree about the condition when they leave.

Do they have a copy of the inaccurate version as well?
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Yes absolutely although a couple of months late is a bit of a cheek to repeat a check in inventory. Try to find out if the clerk is going to be sending you a correct report or not; if not you may have to suffice with what you have but at the very least you can ascertain and document the state of the property at this point in time, should any damage occur between now and check out.

Comment

Do not pay the Clerk. Compile your own Inventory with new T input and give him a copy

Comment

I second Mariner post. Shoddy work by the inventory clerk indeed. Do not pay any account or waste time on him/her. Sort out the issue in other ways as the inventory report is worthless.

Comment

The check-in report you compile with the help of the T is valid from the date it is compiled. I agree the clerk's Inventory is almost worthless unless T has checked it and you have accepted Ts changes.

Comment

Thanks for the input. I will compile an inventory report and send to the tenants to agree and sign.

Comment

jpkeates,

As far as I know they don’t have a copy of the inaccurate report.

Comment

Does anyone have a template for a 'delipidations inventory'? Does it just need to be signed by landlord and tenant to be valid?

Comment

Is that clerk a member of an Association? If so I, as a clerk, would not hesitate to raise a complaint about this! It really is not acceptable. It was incredible late in being sent to you, within 48 hours is the 'rule' and it's inaccuracies leave you at risk!

mlsmith - there is probably a template in the DOCUMENTS section!

Comment

I just tried to go onto their website to check if they are a member of an association and access was denied. I wonder if it has gone out of business?! I advertised the property through Upad in 2015 and selected that I wanted an inventory done. It was Upad that put me in touch with this inventory company.

Comment

Should Upad not have checked that any third party services that they are a member of an association and have the necessary public liability insurance and would hence be able to give you this information? You could try the APIP (Association of Professional Inventory Providers).

Comment

Actually, according the reports they provided, they are a member of the Association of Professional Inventory Providers.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• End of tenancy checks
                            Kate foster
                            hello all,
                            i am having a slight issue. When I let the property the toilet seat was white which matched the black and white bathroom. The tenant without discussing with me first changed the toilet seat to a greenish colour to match their showercurtain.
                            the seat does not look good and I want...
                            15-12-2018, 19:58 PM
                          • Reply to End of tenancy checks
                            Kate foster
                            Thank you for your reply and it’s really annoying when these things happen. They have chucked the white seat away so they will have to buy a new one to replace that green one. I am going to bring this up with them as if they had changed for like to like I would have no problem with that. Kate...
                            15-12-2018, 20:46 PM
                          • Reply to End of tenancy checks
                            JK0
                            I get this nonsense too. I put in an expensive seat, and tenant chucks mine away, and puts in some cheap rubbish.

Is it possible they kept yours? Otherwise, perfectly reasonable in my view to ask for replacement.
                            15-12-2018, 20:26 PM
                          • Tenancy agreement
                            Kate foster
                            Please can someone advice me on the following situation. I am renting out a one bed house for monthly rent of 650 pounds. A couple are very interested and jointly they both earn 52k which covers the full rent. One of them earns 35 k and they have been honest and said that the girl has issues with her...
                            07-12-2018, 21:26 PM
                          • Reply to Tenancy agreement
                            Kate foster
                            Thank you all for your replies and sharing your experiences. Has definitely helped me and as the tenant didn’t want to be credit referenced they decided to not go ahead. I have fortunately found new tenants who have passed all referencing. Thank you all 😊👍
                            15-12-2018, 19:51 PM
                          • A bit of a mess
                            Procrastinating
                            Hi,

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help. My reason for posting is that my wife has found herself in a bit of a mess with her pre-marital home which is in Wales. When she moved out she let the property, initially to a friend of a relative. It seemed like a stroke of luck so when...
                            15-12-2018, 01:29 AM
                          • Reply to A bit of a mess
                            JK0
                            Is the situation irretrievable if o/p's wife does the training and gets the license now, guys?
                            15-12-2018, 18:02 PM
                          • section 21 and how to rent guide
                            lavy
                            Hi do you have to serve an up to date how to rent guide when a tenancy moves to a periodic tenancy from a standard 6 months tenancy or is the original how to rent guide sufficient in order to serve a valid section 21 notice...
                            09-12-2018, 10:11 AM
                          • Reply to section 21 and how to rent guide
                            KTC
                            No, that's a "if you give the document right at the start of the tenancy, the question never comes up" reply.

As Giles stated in his reply to you, while the Secretary of State may make relevant regulations and the power of the Secreatry of State was transferred,...
                            15-12-2018, 14:15 PM
                          • Heating
                            lsmt971
                            Hi

I have a three bed terrace which is split into two flats. The council have just made an inspection and although everything is ok, they have picked up on the fact the property only contains one combi boiler located in flat 1. This also serves flat 2 who regulate their heating via the...
                            15-12-2018, 10:02 AM
                          Working...
                          X