Problem with Inventory

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with Inventory

I had new tenants move in on 2 December. Shortly before (I think the morning of) I had an inventory clerk attend the property and prepare an inventory. He had actually prepared an inventory on the property at the time the previous tenants moved in back in 2015.

On 11 December the clerk sent me the inventory report. It was inaccurate in a number of places because he had taken the 2015 report and incompletely updated it. By way of a example, the report described the lightshades as they had existed in 2015, but those lightshades had been replaced (and this is clearly visible when you compare the photos taken in 2015 and 2017). In another example, in 2015, he commented that the decoration around the electrical board was poor and took a picture of it. The comment remained in the 2017 inventory, even though the flat had been redecorated immediately before he redid the inventory and the decoration rectified. There was no equivalent picture taken in 2017. There are many other inaccuracies and not all of them are unfavourable to me. The carpets and beds were new in 2015 and the 2015 inventory states this. The 2017 stills says that the carpets and beds are new even though by now they are now 2 years old.

I reviewed the report and sent it back to the inventory clerk listing all of the inaccuracies I identified and asked him to update the report so that it could then be sent to the tenants. He did not respond. I followed up approximately a week later and still no response, by which time we were into the Christmas break. I have not followed up since.

My question is, should I pursue this with the clerk just in case there is an issue when the tenants move out. As a stop gap measure, on or around the date the tenants moved in I sent them emails attaching photographs from the property, so there is something of a record of what it looked like, just not as detailed. One last point to note - the inventory clerk has not charged me for the inventory he prepared (which I take as tacit acknowledgment of his shoddy work). Views appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ignoring the back story, essentially you're a landlord and you don't have a condition report for the start of the tenancy.
    That's only going to be an issue if the tenant and you disagree about the condition when they leave.

Do they have a copy of the inaccurate version as well?
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Yes absolutely although a couple of months late is a bit of a cheek to repeat a check in inventory. Try to find out if the clerk is going to be sending you a correct report or not; if not you may have to suffice with what you have but at the very least you can ascertain and document the state of the property at this point in time, should any damage occur between now and check out.

Comment

Do not pay the Clerk. Compile your own Inventory with new T input and give him a copy

Comment

I second Mariner post. Shoddy work by the inventory clerk indeed. Do not pay any account or waste time on him/her. Sort out the issue in other ways as the inventory report is worthless.

Comment

The check-in report you compile with the help of the T is valid from the date it is compiled. I agree the clerk's Inventory is almost worthless unless T has checked it and you have accepted Ts changes.

Comment

Thanks for the input. I will compile an inventory report and send to the tenants to agree and sign.

Comment

jpkeates,

As far as I know they don’t have a copy of the inaccurate report.

Comment

Does anyone have a template for a 'delipidations inventory'? Does it just need to be signed by landlord and tenant to be valid?

Comment

Is that clerk a member of an Association? If so I, as a clerk, would not hesitate to raise a complaint about this! It really is not acceptable. It was incredible late in being sent to you, within 48 hours is the 'rule' and it's inaccuracies leave you at risk!

mlsmith - there is probably a template in the DOCUMENTS section!

Comment

I just tried to go onto their website to check if they are a member of an association and access was denied. I wonder if it has gone out of business?! I advertised the property through Upad in 2015 and selected that I wanted an inventory done. It was Upad that put me in touch with this inventory company.

Comment

Should Upad not have checked that any third party services that they are a member of an association and have the necessary public liability insurance and would hence be able to give you this information? You could try the APIP (Association of Professional Inventory Providers).

Comment

Actually, according the reports they provided, they are a member of the Association of Professional Inventory Providers.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• tenancy agreement and co-owner
                            progress
                            If only one co-owner one can sign the tenancy agreement does this mean that this implies that the other agree to it. And what happens if only one co-owner signs a tenancy agreement and the other does not agree does it make the tenancy agreement invalid and what happens to the tenants who has already...
                            21-10-2018, 09:43 AM
                          • Reply to tenancy agreement and co-owner
                            jpkeates
                            The landlord of a lease is whoever is named as the landlord on the tenancy agreement if there is one, if there isn't it depends on to whom rent is paid. The landlord doesn't have to own the property they are letting, so who owns the property doesn't affect who is the landlord.

If one co-owner...
                            21-10-2018, 10:23 AM
                          • Tenant's boyfriend
                            tatemono
                            So, for the last year and a half we've had a young woman as a model tenant. She's improved the house no end and keeps it immaculate and only rarely raises very minimal and perfectly acceptable maintenance requests. Very pleasant lady all round.

The other day, our agent told us that she'd...
                            29-09-2018, 08:08 AM
                          • Reply to Tenant's boyfriend
                            boletus
                            If he's not causing a problem, then as the man said;...
                            21-10-2018, 09:37 AM
                          • Files over 6 Years Old...
                            VictoriaH
                            I've been doing a tidy up of my old files.
                            I have invoice folders for my estate agency from 2010/2011/2012.
                            Should i be disposing of everything older than 6 years?
                            Should i keep soft copies?
                            Regarding ASTs and rent statements, should i be getting rid of everything over 6 years,...
                            21-10-2018, 06:21 AM
                          • Reply to Files over 6 Years Old...
                            JK0
                            Keep everything IIWY.

HMRC can go back as long as they like if they suspect criminality. How will you prove you aren't a criminal if you don't have the papers?
                            21-10-2018, 09:36 AM
                            theartfullodger
                            Don't think you "have to give permission".

Consider tenant who doesn't pay rent one month. You don't have to give permission for this (or not..), they remain liable to eviction under s8g10. Or one who fails to pay rent 3 months in a row then starts again, but still 3 months...
                            21-10-2018, 09:31 AM
                            jpkeates
                            In reality, I can't see a s8 notice on that basis alone resulting in repossession, on the basis that a) it's disproportionate to be made homeless for a breach of that nature and b) that courts don't want to make people homeless if they can avoid it.

The term should probably be "which...
                            21-10-2018, 09:30 AM
                          • DPS Custodial Scheme & Joint Landlords
                            StuartH
                            Have I missed something, or is it impossible for joint landlords to be recorded in the DPS Custodial Scheme in the way that joint tenants are separately identified? Does anyone think that a problem could arise over deposit protection issues where the record shows the identity of only one of two joint...
                            19-10-2018, 15:34 PM
                          • Reply to DPS Custodial Scheme & Joint Landlords
                            jpkeates
                            It used to, but not any more (last time I used it was March - custodial scheme - so basing it on that date)....
                            21-10-2018, 09:21 AM
                          Working...
                          X