Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

to dishwasher or not to dishwasher

Hello

I was wondering what the consensus on this might be.

We are thinking about putting a slim line dishwasher in a mid range rental property.
    The kitchen is really very small so a dishwasher can potentially:

1) free up work surface with a smaller sink and no draining board.
    2) provide somewhere to store dirty/clean crockery

However they are expensive and are another thing to potentially leak/breakdown/cause damage to surrounding units/floor/etc.

I was wondering if anyone has added dishwashers to their kitchens and what their experience has been.

Also, do people feel that it's increased yield or made finding tenants more easy?

Many thanks

n99

Never use mine. I'd rather have a tumble drier.

Frankly if a tenant is too idle to wash dishes, do you really want him in your flat?

Comment

Originally posted by n99 View Post

We are thinking about putting a slim line dishwasher in a mid range rental property.
      Yes

The kitchen is really very small
      No

1) free up work surface with a smaller sink and no draining board.
      Naah

2) provide somewhere to store dirty/clean crockery

Naah again.

However they are expensive and are another thing to potentially leak/breakdown/cause damage to surrounding units/floor/etc.
      They aren't that expensive. No more (if not less) damage than a washing machine. Last much longer as they just do a gentle splash rather than a fast spin. Got a 20 year old Baumarkt dishwasher in a rental still going strong.

Also, do people feel that it's increased yield or made finding tenants more easy?
      Not enough to justify it, but it depends.

A mid range rental property.
      How long is a piece of string?

Slimline dishwasher for a single Yuppy that cooks once a fortnight- Yes.
      Slimline dishwasher for a family of 6 constantly running it- No.

Rule of thumb;
      Granite worktop property- Yes
      DIY shed laminate worktop property- No

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post

Frankly if a tenant is too idle to wash dishes, do you really want him in your flat?
        Indeed!

If a tenant is too idle to walk outside to use the communal lavvy,

If a tenant is too idle to procreate enough kids to stuff up and clean the chimney,

If a tenant is too idle to wash in a bathtub in front of a coal fire for a scrub once a fortnight,

If a tenant is too idle to invent the internet

Do you really want him in your flat?

Comment

Personally I wouldn’t do it. It’s another thing you’re then responsible for. And if you get tenants in who have never had or used one then it’s either a waste of they might not use it right.
          I have a dishwasher at home, this is the second one in 5 years and when they break they are MESSY.
          I’d avoid but it’s your call of course.

Comment

It depends on the market.
            I have a number of properties in one area where most of the properties that are let have dishwashers and washing machines, so I supply them.
            A number don't, and when the kitchen is small, it's not the top of most people's list.
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Depending on the layout, one option would be to provide plumbing for one of the newer style compact DWs that can stand on a work surface - but let the T provide the DW.

Comment

We provide space in the kitchen for a slimline dishwasher (small/medium 3 bed semi) and all the plumbing/electrical hookups and let the tenant know that if/when they get one to just ask - I will pop around and help them hook it up - Saves any leaks/problems.
                Works well, the plumbing is my problem, the dishwasher is not.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                X