How long do I have to bring a tenant to court for arrears?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long do I have to bring a tenant to court for arrears?

This new post relates to an earlier one. I am helping my Mum pursue an absconded tenant for arrears (in the region of 4 figures). The tenant has gone to ground but we have leads to follow and he may resurface in due course. How long, after the arrears first occurred, would the claim be considered to be 'out of time' by the court, and thus not able to be pursued?

Thanks in advance for any advice or links.

Indefinitely if he doesn't defend it. If he defends it, he could block the action after six years from when you last contacted him about the debt, but he must actually raise that as a defence.

However, one would normally sue in his absence, and the resulting CCJ will stay open indefinitely, as I understand it.

Comment

Thank you leasholder64

Comment

Please do NOT start new thread on existing topic, Ask the question in original thread.

Comment

....sorry Mariner. No one was helping me with my previous thread and this one contains a completely new and different question which only relates to the previous thread but was not contained within it. I hope that is alright. Sorry for any confusion.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Break Clause Notice
            by jpkeates
            In which case, I think you can give notice on 18th August to end on 17th October.
            30-05-2020, 13:14 PM
          • Break Clause Notice
            by danielson81
            Hi, sorry if this is a stupid question.

My tenancy agreement has a break clause in it, as I took over from the existing tenants I basically have the remainder of their tenancy term plus 12 months.

Does the text below, mean I can give notice from the 18th June and move out by...
            30-05-2020, 08:41 AM
          • Reply to Help required from renter
            by Bennu
            royw , I can access my landlady’s home. Which is good as there has been quite a few times I have had to help her after falling. If her son does decide to proceed with the rent increase I will be outlining the benefits of my rent remaining and the risk a new tenant could potentially bring. I have also...
            30-05-2020, 13:11 PM
          • Help required from renter
            by Bennu
            I am hoping that someone can help.

I have lived in a top floor flat above my landlady/landlord for 7 years. I do not share any facilities (my flat has a bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, living room). There is a lock on the door to my flat.

Since my landlord passed away (3 years...
            30-05-2020, 11:30 AM
            by royw
            Do you have direct access to the rest of the landlady's home from the hall or does she have a locked door? If the former given LLs vulnerable state it would put her at risk if they let it to a stranger. Might be worth slipping it into the conversation with daughter who seems to be rather more concerned...
            30-05-2020, 12:58 PM
          • Reply to Signing tenancy agreement in advance and handover of keys
            by bengal
            Thanks DPT57 - Property is empty so no risk of existing t not leaving....
            30-05-2020, 12:54 PM
          • Signing tenancy agreement in advance and handover of keys
            by bengal
            How soon in advance of tenancy can the agreement be signed? in this case it would be around 4 weeks in advance of tenancy start date.
            Is signing of agreement in advance a good alternative to a holding deposit? (in that it gives more certainty to the tenant?)
            When should keys be handed over...
            30-05-2020, 12:21 PM
          • Reply to Break Clause Notice
            by danielson81
            Apart from the bit I posted, the other relevant bits are:

Note for Tenants
            This tenancy agreement is a legal and binding contract and the Tenant is responsible for payment of the
            rent for the entire agreed term. The agreement may not be terminated early unless the agreement
            30-05-2020, 12:49 PM
            by Bennu
            I would be refusing the increase as I have been helping my landlady out for several years, and not requested payment. This enables a saving of around £150-200 per month to them. It would also be disrespectful as he has recently requested further help from me at the same time as potentially raising...
            30-05-2020, 12:47 PM
          • Reply to Signing tenancy agreement in advance and handover of keys
            by DPT57
            If you sign 4 weeks in advance and something happens in the interim, such as the existing tenant not leaving or a problem with the property, then you are contractually bound to provide accommodation for the tenants and may have to pay for them to stay in b&b until its available.
            30-05-2020, 12:47 PM
          Working...
          X