How long do I have to bring a tenant to court for arrears?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long do I have to bring a tenant to court for arrears?

This new post relates to an earlier one. I am helping my Mum pursue an absconded tenant for arrears (in the region of 4 figures). The tenant has gone to ground but we have leads to follow and he may resurface in due course. How long, after the arrears first occurred, would the claim be considered to be 'out of time' by the court, and thus not able to be pursued?

Thanks in advance for any advice or links.

Indefinitely if he doesn't defend it. If he defends it, he could block the action after six years from when you last contacted him about the debt, but he must actually raise that as a defence.

However, one would normally sue in his absence, and the resulting CCJ will stay open indefinitely, as I understand it.

Comment

Thank you leasholder64

Comment

Please do NOT start new thread on existing topic, Ask the question in original thread.

Comment

....sorry Mariner. No one was helping me with my previous thread and this one contains a completely new and different question which only relates to the previous thread but was not contained within it. I hope that is alright. Sorry for any confusion.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Am I allowed to rent my house to a family of three generations?
            daxu
            hi,
            I don't have HMO licenses and current tenant is leaving. The house is fairly big (4 bed) and I was approached by a lady saying that her dad and mom, her sister and daughter would like to rent it.

I am bit confused on whether I am allowed to let to the lady and her family without...
            23-02-2018, 20:42 PM
          • Reply to Am I allowed to rent my house to a family of three generations?
            leaseholder64
            I'd suggest that a break glass box might be suitable in an office building, where people should be wide awake, and there will be emergency lighting, if needed, but are not safe for domestic building, where the most dangerous fires happen after lights out.

Generally escape route doors in...
            24-02-2018, 09:48 AM
          • Irresponsible Landlord
            Little Swimmer
            Has anybody ever heard of a landlord not checking his bank account for 51/2 years and discovering that his tenant hasn't been paying the rent? Where does the guarantor stand?
            24-02-2018, 09:47 AM
          • Local Estate Agency
            AnthonyLHD
            Hello all
            I manage some properties and i'm well known in my local community
            My neighbours/ local residents have suggested i'd make a good agent - managing, letting and selling their properties
            I'm going to look into this idea as i have a passion for property and people in general...
            24-02-2018, 08:41 AM
          • Reply to Local Estate Agency
            leaseholder64
            The only requirement is that you have to belong to a government approved redress scheme. Apart from their fee, they only really require you to be of good character and have a documented complaints procedure.
            24-02-2018, 09:39 AM
          • Landlord routine inspection tick/checklist
            Bevi1971
            Hi
            Going to start doing my own 3 month checks on the rented house I have.
            Any one use or got a checklist they use for the inspection so nothing gets missed off while chatting with the tenants?
            I need to go in and do the checks on everything but bound to forget some as first time meeting...
            23-02-2018, 17:49 PM
          • Reply to Landlord routine inspection tick/checklist
            Stef Cooke
            Every 3 months isn't seen as excessive - seems odd to me and I don't like doing them that often, but it is becoming more of the norm for some, it seems.

There isn't rally a checklist, artful's list is a good one, that and I also check sealant, signs of black spot mould and guttering. That...
            24-02-2018, 09:19 AM
          • Problem with Inventory
            Jaybee542
            I had new tenants move in on 2 December. Shortly before (I think the morning of) I had an inventory clerk attend the property and prepare an inventory. He had actually prepared an inventory on the property at the time the previous tenants moved in back in 2015.

On 11 December the clerk...
            22-02-2018, 14:19 PM
          • Reply to Problem with Inventory
            Stef Cooke
            Is that clerk a member of an Association? If so I, as a clerk, would not hesitate to raise a complaint about this! It really is not acceptable. It was incredible late in being sent to you, within 48 hours is the 'rule' and it's inaccuracies leave you at risk!

mlsmith - there is probably...
            24-02-2018, 09:08 AM
          • Reply to Local Estate Agency
            Wannadonnadoodah
            My Mrs says I'm a comedian, I won't be taking the stage anytime soon though.

No. That's the problem, literally anyone can setup and attempt to do it.

Have you run a business before or even worked in an estate agents? Suggest you take a job in an Agency first...
            24-02-2018, 09:06 AM
          Working...
          X