Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can my old tenant claim compensation?

Hi All,

I have recently agreed with my old tenant that they surrender the lease as the property is uninhabitable due to flood damage caused by the flat above.

They have moved out and we agreed the surrender of the lease on on the 1st Feb 2018 and i have now repaid the deposit.

In my mind my business with them was concluded!

However they have now written to me requesting that i give consideration to a claim from them for compensation as a result of the flooding. This was the second flood caused by the flat above in the space of a few months.

They are seeking loss of income, inconvenience, contribution towards the cost of having to move and put their possessions into storage and also contribution towards the meals they had to eat out as they could not find any accommodation with a kitchen for a short term let!!

My question is this. Do they have a leg to stand on or should i speak with the owner of the flat above as this is, i believe, their issue.

Comments gratefully received thank you.

I'd tell them no.
    They may be entitled to compensation, but they should seek it from the upstairs neighbour (who probably isn't liable either, unless the tenant can show negligence).
    Two floods in a few months sounds negligent to me, on the face of it, but it'll take a lot of effort if the neighbour declines to accept responsibility.

You didn't cause the problem and they'd have to show that you were negligent or had broken the contract and failed to remedy the problem in a reasonable time. Which, hopefully, they can't.

If you feel sorry for them, you could make them a without prejudice offer.

You'll not be able to recover from the upstairs neighbour either, unless you can prove negligence.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

So they have a right to compensation then. Thats worrying.

Comment

"Agreed to surrender" are the key words. What did the surrender agreement say?

How long did the tenancy agreement have to run?

Comment

Originally posted by LondonLandl0rd View Post
          So they have a right to compensation then. Thats worrying.
          I didn't say that.
          There's no general right to compensation.

There's possibly compensation for a loss arising from a breach of contract - which may be the case here - that would be their claim against you.
          There's possibly compensation for a loss arising from a breach of duty of care (if the loss was reasonably foreseeable) - which is their claim against the upstairs neighbour (unless you were negligent).
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Are you also the landlord for upstairs?

Was the surrender document drafted by a solicitor?

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewDod View Post
              "Agreed to surrender" are the key words. What did the surrender agreement say?

How long did the tenancy agreement have to run?
              Was a standard surrender agreement provided by the letting agent. dont have a copy to hand. However the agreement had three months to run.

Comment

Originally posted by wfd_property View Post
                Are you also the landlord for upstairs?

Was the surrender document drafted by a solicitor?
                Morning, no the flat upstairs is owned by another party who lives there.

The document was provided by the letting agent. Was pretty standard from memory and only released us from our obligations to each other under the tenancy with specific reference to payment of rent.

Comment

There is usually a clause in a tenancy agreement saying the Landlord must return to the tenant a reasonable proportion of the rent for any period while the property is uninhabitable by reason of any insured risk. So first look at your tenancy agreement. If there is such a clause, did you refund the rent for the period from when the property became uninhabitable until the date of surrender? If you did then I don't think the tenant is entitled to anything from you unless you were negligent, which seems unlikely if the leak came from a property over which you have no control.

If you do have such a clause in the tenancy agreement and you haven't refunded the rent, the tenant would be entitled to claim this amount from you. However, you need to speak to your buildings insurance, as that will most likely have a clause for alternative accommodation/loss of rent in the case of the property becoming uninhabitable due to an insured risk. They should pay the tenant this money or, if you have paid the tenant, you should be able to recover the money from your insurance company. The insurance may also be prepared to pay your tenant some of the associated expenses they are claiming. This may be the best solution.

Comment

They are seeking loss of income, inconvenience, contribution towards the cost of having to move and put their possessions into storage and also contribution towards the meals they had to eat out as they could not find any accommodation with a kitchen for a short term let!!
                    Even if they try, loss of income is probably not claimable.
                    Inconvenience is something you can claim for, but the inconvenience would have to be associated with the negligence, as it's not arisen from a contractual breach - moving somewhere else is bound to be slightly inconvenient.
                    You can defend the move costs on the basis that they were going to move at some point and you've just brought that cost forward. They possibly have a case if the costs were higher than usual or they have now moved from temporary alternative accommodation into a new permanent home. In that case, there is arguably an additional cost as a result of the contractual breach.
                    Possessions into storage is as per the moving costs, but possibly a stronger case.
                    The meals is a mickey take.

Realistically, they have a better claim against the upstairs neighbour, but there's nothing to stop them making a claim against you.
                    Small claims court fees are low.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Contractual vs statutory periodic
                      HantsAgent
                      It seems to be generally accepted that a tenant can simply hand back the keys and leave on the final day of a fixed term tenancy without giving any notice to the landlord.

The exception seems to be in the case of a contractual periodic tenancy rather than a statutory periodic one, where...
                      25-09-2018, 13:31 PM
                    • Reply to Contractual vs statutory periodic
                      KTC
                      s21 notice under a CPT must be under s21(4), rather than s21(1) if it were a fixed term. Not such a problem now, but some didn't want any bother getting the right end date on a s21 in the past. But that's for those that cared. Many landlords behaves as if fixed term mean the tenant must leave unless...
                      25-09-2018, 14:08 PM
                    • Reply to Contractual vs statutory periodic
                      theartfullodger
                      Ah, but is a contractual tenancy? It's ultimately up to a judge to rule it is ..
                      25-09-2018, 13:44 PM
                    • Managing a property from afar
                      kesm
                      Hi all

Does anyone manage a property that is not very close to where they live? How do they go about it? I.e.
                      do you have a list of tradesmen and if something goes wrong you contact them to go and have a look at the problem?

Also when the tenant leaves, I assume you...
                      24-09-2018, 10:36 AM
                    • Reply to Managing a property from afar
                      HantsAgent
                      It’s entirely possible to self-manage a property from any distance, provided you know what you’re doing, follow the correct procedures and have a good knowledge of housing and landlord and tenant law.

If you’re a novice, you can find yourself making costly mistakes regardless of how...
                      25-09-2018, 13:18 PM
                    • Background checks refusal
                      Chf
                      Hi there, I’m hoping someone can help with some advice for me.

My husband and I are renting out our house in Scotland while we rent in England. We have a leasing agent and have prospective tenants. But with a catch.
                      The occupants will be a couple but the lead tenant doesn’t...
                      25-09-2018, 12:03 PM
                    • Reply to Background checks refusal
                      sam_cat
                      We had similar. Initially refused any kind of checks, and were adamant that no bad credit etc... They really wanted house, eventually agreed to her having a background check done... 7 CCJ's, she wasnt surprised but wasnt aware of all of them.

Run a mile.
                      25-09-2018, 12:44 PM
                    • Electricity
                      Flowery
                      Having recently moved into a property I have discovered that the landlord has an electric cable running from the side of my home out to one of his buildings. This cable is linked to my electrical circuit board and I will be landed with the bill. I was not told about this before the tenancy. Can anyone...
                      24-09-2018, 19:41 PM
                    • Reply to Electricity
                      theartfullodger
                      They are a charity with limited resources. Their helpline number is 0808 800 4444 but I have heard it's hard to get through. They focus on housing not electricity... (afaik..)

However you mention dunno how you have been raiding issues but I strongly recommend you write (yes WRITE! - keep...
                      25-09-2018, 12:39 PM
                    • Reply to Background checks refusal
                      HantsAgent
                      I’m with the others. Turn them down and get your agent to find somebody better.
                      25-09-2018, 12:39 PM
                    Working...
                    X