X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• philip cooper
    started a topic Mice problem

Mice problem

I own a new build property which is a semi. There is 3 other houses attached to it. So 4 in a row. All properties have a back garden. At the back of the back garden is a woodland area owned by the council. For years the four properties have got mice. They have been baited up numerous times on many occasions. Even all at same time. The lofts are joined in the properties .

I found out where the mice was getting in on the properties. Their are 3 vents on the semis on each end and 2 vents on the terraced . I mouse proofed my vents as they could run right in and I also sealed around my soffit where the wall meets as the builders had not sealed them on the build.

I even got the woodland area at back cut down with council which took hard work.

I have informed the landlord who I know who owns the other properties that he needs to do his vents and seal gutters as they will keep getting in his loft then into my loft . I even offered to do it once for free and he said its ok he will get his maintenance man to do it. This never happened and he keep letting his properties out with mice.

Is their anything I can do to get him to seal up as this has been going on for 5 years ?

Thanks

• DPT57
    replied
    Try getting his tenants to put pressure on him, perhaps by reporting it to environmental health.

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Pets causing eviction
    Wiffle
    Hi everyone,

Bit of background to start with.

We are new tenants of a rental property and told not only our letting agent but our landlord that we were the owners of two dogs.

The letting agent checked with the landlord that dogs were ok and they agreed as long...
    17-06-2019, 17:15 PM
  • Reply to Pets causing eviction
    KTC
    No such thing. If you stay beyond the end of the fixed term, a statutory periodic tenancy automatically arise by law. If landlord want to evict, they must serve notice and go to court. (Not that this help you, since nothing stopping them from serving you s21 from month 4+ onwards.)...
    17-06-2019, 18:48 PM
  • Damage not recorded in inventory
    rosieflowers
    Hi,

We recently went in to do some (legitimate, reasonable) repairs on our let property and saw that the tenant has melted some of the UPVC window sill which is directly above the electric hob. It's an area of about one inch wide and six inches long and the burn is partly superficial but...
    17-06-2019, 08:18 AM
  • Reply to Damage not recorded in inventory
    tenant83
    Going by the images, I've got to ask: what sane person would put their cooker there of all places? You say this is your only property and you're still "learning" but you don't need to be a landlord or an expert to see what's wrong there. I genuinely think many landlords just get into renting...
    17-06-2019, 18:46 PM
    KTC
    Legal aside, "national charity" - well known?

A bit of public pressure if you can get some traditional or social media attention may be enough for them to suddenly decide it was a "misunderstanding".
    17-06-2019, 18:46 PM
    Wiffle
    Thanks again for your time and input.

We don't have a copy of the application but will be requesting one from the letting agent asap. Both we and the letting agent agree that the landlord is being unreasonable and we wouldn't of even contemplated taking on the tenancy if the dogs weren't...
    17-06-2019, 18:42 PM
  • Suicide of tenant
    NickCanterbury
    I rented out my house while working in Europe. One of my tenants commited suicide about three weeks ago and after a several days or more the other two tenants were worried and got the police to break down the door of his room and find his body. A tragedy that has obviously upset me enormously but without...
    17-06-2019, 16:34 PM
  • Reply to Suicide of tenant
    KTC
    It has to be actively disclosed by the seller, not just answered truthfully when asked. Not entirely clear for how long though.
    17-06-2019, 18:28 PM
  • Company lets
    paulamis
    My company are bringing in some Indian nationals for a few months training.

Secretary went and asked local agents and was fobbed off with nonsense like, "has to be an AST and the law says min 1 yr", I guess the agents don't need the complication.
    17-06-2019, 11:41 AM
  • Reply to Company lets
    JK0
    Oh, well good luck with that. ...
    17-06-2019, 18:26 PM
Working...
X