X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reeviep
    started a topic Deposit rules

Deposit rules

Hi all I am after a little advice please, I have recently left a property I lived in for 5 years with 3 children and a dog, I repainted and cleaned and handed the keys back on Saturday. My landlady checked the property with me and we went through the inventory and I disputed a few items that she said were excessive wear and tear. she did not protect my deposit, and asked me if I would be happy for her to keep my deposit to repair/replace the items we discussed in the inventory. knowing the cost of some of the items to replace I said yes and signed to say that she can keep it to do all the work on the inventory. My friend moves in today and has said that non of the work had been done but she had just changed the item description on her inventory to reflect the damage. My question: after signing the paperwork to say she can keep my money to do the repairs listed in the inventory (all her words) and finding that she has not done any of it. What can I do? I gave her the money in good faith. Many thanks for taking the time to read this.

• jpkeates
    replied
    It depends on what you agreed.

If you agreed that the landlord could use the deposit to repair or replace the items, the landlord has to do that.
    If you agreed that the landlord would receive the deposit as compensation, the landlord doesn't have to do anything.

Because the deposit wasn't protected, there's not going to be a proper record of what was agreed, and the landlord is simply going to claim the deposit was used as compensation.

The problem for the landlord is that by not protecting your deposit she has probably made a stupid mistake, because almost all deposits for tenancies have to be protected and you can sue your landlord for a penalty.
    And she's just lost any goodwill you might have had.

You probably don't want to actually go to court because that is costly and stressful, but you can threaten to do that.
    Here's a link to Shelters process for claiming the deposit - https://england.shelter.org.uk/housi...nsation_claims
    ​​​​​​​
    Alternatively you can find a no win no fee company who might take on the case for you (google finds loads), although some will be put off by the agreement you entered into.

You have six years from when the deposit should have been protected, which doesn't give you too long to start the process.
    If you had more than one tenancy, you might have more than one claim.

Leave a comment:

• Interlaken
    replied
    You can easily sue her for 3 X the deposit - I'm sure someone on here will put the link up. She broke the law by not protecting the deposit.....or maybe she would prefer to come to a cash settlement with you - always ask for more in case she tries to knock you down on price.

Leave a comment:

• leaseholder64
    replied
    It is likely that she has charged you more than a court or deposit protection scheme would have charged you, but she is doing nothing wrong by deferring the repairs until after the next tenancy.

I think it is still open to you to sue for the penalty for not protecting the deposit.

I'll let others comment on whether your acceptance of her compensation figure is binding.

In setting the compensation, she should have used the original purchase cost, and taken into account what proportion of the expected lifetime had already been used, unless the cost of repair was lower.

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Pets causing eviction
    Wiffle
    Hi everyone,

Bit of background to start with.

We are new tenants of a rental property and told not only our letting agent but our landlord that we were the owners of two dogs.

The letting agent checked with the landlord that dogs were ok and they agreed as long...
    17-06-2019, 17:15 PM
  • Reply to Pets causing eviction
    KTC
    They can't actually force you to give up your dogs. They can (attempt to) evict you.
    17-06-2019, 22:32 PM
    Wiffle
    You join us and the letting agent in the same thought, does anyone know if there's a set limit of time they can request or is it something they can just make up as they go?

I can echo that, my kids are all grown up now but my mediocre DIY skills have been called upon many more times for...
    17-06-2019, 22:08 PM
  • Fence damaged by wind, Landlord refusing to replace
    RichH
    Hi,
    Fence at rear of property severely damaged by the strong winds a couple of nights back.
    Informed landlord by phone & also sent photos of damage by email. I have made emergency repairs to stop them going completely, but they are beyond repair.
    Landlord says they were put...
    10-03-2016, 19:01 PM
  • Reply to Fence damaged by wind, Landlord refusing to replace
    tenant83
    2 million+ rented homes in the UK, 14,782 surveyed by an insurance company is just pee in the ocean. You also referenced figures which were obviously in the landlords' favour, we can all do that which is why polls are useless. I can easily say almost half of tenants are unhappy with their landlords...
    17-06-2019, 21:32 PM
    Wainwright
    At any rate it's a tad unreasonable to give someone 2 weeks to rehome their dogs.

I don't know, but I'd be happier to let to people with pets (within reason, of course) than to those with children!! In my experience and those of other landlords I know, the latter have been far more problematic...
    17-06-2019, 21:18 PM
    Wainwright
    Ah! This is exactly what I was thinking as well....
    17-06-2019, 21:12 PM
  • Reply to Fence damaged by wind, Landlord refusing to replace
    boletus
    [QUOTE=tenant83;n1070209]

I didn't state any particular survey but 14,782 is quite some heavy weighting.

Why do you think that is?

Which is one of the lowest percentages of empty homes in Europe
    -or any other comparable...
    17-06-2019, 21:10 PM
  • Locking Building Doors At Night
    ivand
    Hi everyone, I live in a block of flats (some rented, some owned) with no entry system. The factor want to install a simple lock on the only entry to the building and lock it at night at a set time and give residents a key to get in. I think this is dangerous because it restricts entry by emergency...
    14-06-2019, 17:42 PM
  • Reply to Locking Building Doors At Night
    MdeB
    We have had this discussion for our block of flats.

The argument for no locks includes "the police advise that having a lock can make gaining entry a challenge to groups under the influence on a Saturday night, but hey are likely to pass on by if it is unlocked".

17-06-2019, 21:06 PM
Working...
X