Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rent reduction during period of refurbishment

Hi

I know generally it can be seen as a bad thing, but we are planning on refurbishing a kitchen in a rental property during a tenancy.

It's not an essential repair but the kitchen does really need upgrading...

The kitchen could be out of action for 2-3 weeks max. There will also be dust and disruption for the tenants.

I was thinking about offering a rent reduction during this time but would be interested to know what other people have done is such a situation.....?

Many thanks for any advice

Cheers

Leave until either:

-they vacate

-they ask if a new kitchen could be possible.

Doing works in a property that a tenant occupies is just a recipe for things to go wrong.

If there is no access to kitchen, I'm not sure that you could levy a reduced rent at all, but happy to be corrected.

Comment

And when tenant prevents tradesmen finishing the job, so they can complain to the council to thwart an S21? Then what are you going to do?

Just don't be so silly as to do this. Tenant was obviously happy with the state of the kitchen at the start.

Comment

Actually I have occasionally done this. I have properties with very short voids, and this prevents the cost of a more prolonged void (which can pay for half the kitchen). If the tenant is happy (they get a nice kitchen and small compensation -- like 20% of rent) it can work. Depends on the tenant, the relationship and so on.

Comment

Obviously if it is ones own kitchen, one manages for the week work is being done.

Tenants cannot be expected to manage. The savvy ones will wait until day one and then request a hotel, or else will stop the rent on advice of CAB on the grounds the property is inhabitable.

What about the tenants loss of earnings while they supervise?

Comment

Originally posted by wfd_property View Post
            Tenants cannot be expected to manage. The savvy ones will wait until day one and then request a hotel, or else will stop the rent on advice of CAB on the grounds the property is inhabitable.
            Yes they can. If that is what is agreed (in exchange for whatever). But in any case who is asking them to manage anything.

We are not talking about "savvy" tenants = we are talking about sensible ones -- these types of savvy (read rip off artist) tenants would not (by a sensible landlord) be granted a tenancy in the first place, let alone be considered for a sensible deal.

Comment

Thanks all for your input.

​​​​​​we have a good relationship with these long term tenants. They are wanting a kitchen upgrade and the kitchen needs it.. In fact we promised it at the start of the rental!

We are interested in doing this during the tenancy to avoid those longer voids and organise things to suit me..

So 20-30% sounds good but i will get something in writing from them that they understand that there will be issues and the agreed rent reduction is their accepted compensation.

They are not expected to supervise any work..

Comment

Originally posted by n99 View Post

They are not expected to supervise any work..
                Who will deal with the inevitable stolen rolex?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                X