Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cockroaches in newly leased house

Hi!

Hoping to find some guidance here before taking further action. Moved into a shared house in London last week - leasing rooms with three other tenants. Upon moving in I found a can of cockroach/pest spray in my wardrobe in the downstairs room. I ignored it and hoped the problem had been solved before we moved in. However, on Friday we found a cockroach crawling through the kitchen during the day and last night I found another crawling beside my bed.

As this was obviously a problem before I arrived, what are my options? I know from the landlord perspective there will need to be a de-infestation but I’m very scared it will become a drawn out process or a reoccurring problem.

Our lease is for 12 months with a 6 month clause but the thought of six months with cockroaches makes me feel sick. Any advice would be welcomed.

Kayleigh

You have a choice:
    a) Keep the house clean and food well sealed -- and they will go.
    b) Get poisoned with insecticides.

According to Wikipedia, cockroaches display collective decision-making when choosing food sources. So it is when they attack you on mass that it's an issue. Just two -- maybe it's just a small cockroach cell.

There is also a cockroach recipe from (Taiwan) -- salted and fried after removing the head and entrails.

I would -- let the landlord know in case it becomes a big problem -- at one week he may be responsible. Later on it is your problem.

Most homes have a few cockroaches
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...nce-weighs-in/

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to My tenant lied to me
      by nukecad
      As it's UC then as a landlord you need to submit a form UC47 to apply to the DWP for a 'Managed Payments to Landlord', which can include an amount for arrears.
      However any repayment of arrears granted will be on a 'pay back at so much a month' basis.

UC47's can now be submitted online....
      03-06-2020, 15:51 PM
    • My tenant lied to me
      by Uklondoner
      My tenant lied to me saying he missed the first universal credit payment. But actually according to one of my friend the payment normally only take two weeks to come directly to the bank account. What can I do? Can I find a way to let the universal credit directly make overdue rent payment? I really...
      03-06-2020, 09:54 AM
    • Reply to Access to sheds
      by endymion
      Well, partly, but mainly I'm considering whether the sheds would have to be explicitly excluded from the tenancy in the AST. It's a question of what would be considered the default position in law....
      03-06-2020, 14:53 PM
    • Access to sheds
      by endymion
      Hi. We have been renting a flat for the past decade under an Assured Shorthold Tenancy. The flat is one of five in a single block. The back garden contains a large outbuilding comprising ten sheds. Implicitly, then, two sheds per flat. The inventory does contain the wording 'Garages, Sheds, Outbuildings:'...
      03-06-2020, 10:09 AM
      by endymion
      Interesting. I'll have to cross that bridge when I come to it. Nonetheless, if the deeds stipulate that the sheds are part of the flat, rather than communal, surely that's quite a different matter....
      03-06-2020, 14:52 PM
      by MdeB
      I believe the OP is coming from the position of:
      • The LL has granted us the right, beyond the tenancy agreement, to use two sheds.
      • Would the law consider that having granted that use, the LL cannot unilaterally withdraw the use of those sheds?
      03-06-2020, 14:48 PM
    • Reply to Electrical Safety Certificate EICR
      by MdeB
      The Government guidance suggests not (under "What will the report show?").
      C1, C2 and F need action; C3 does not (C3 is "safe but not to current standards for new installations"...
      03-06-2020, 14:38 PM
    • Electrical Safety Certificate EICR
      by Ozzie11
      Hi

I noticed a new law means landlords need to arrange an EICR for new tenancies after July 2020 or before April 2021.

Please can I get some advice on this? I started a tenancy in May 2020 - this is due to expire in November 2020. However it is likely the tenancy will be renewed...
      01-06-2020, 10:42 AM
      by AndrewDod
      There may or may not be a lease in that case. But there might be. If there is a lease, then it makes no difference that the lessee and freeholder happen to be the same people. If there are no leases, I cannot see that you have any particular rights beyond the flat that you lease. The presumption in...
      03-06-2020, 14:30 PM
    • Reply to Mould/witholding rent/C19 eviction rights
      by jpkeates
      Yes, the tenants have to take reasonable steps.

But the OP didn't mention fans or ventilation and did mention opening the windows "when" bathing or cooking....
      03-06-2020, 14:25 PM
    Working...
    X