Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cockroaches in newly leased house

Hi!

Hoping to find some guidance here before taking further action. Moved into a shared house in London last week - leasing rooms with three other tenants. Upon moving in I found a can of cockroach/pest spray in my wardrobe in the downstairs room. I ignored it and hoped the problem had been solved before we moved in. However, on Friday we found a cockroach crawling through the kitchen during the day and last night I found another crawling beside my bed.

As this was obviously a problem before I arrived, what are my options? I know from the landlord perspective there will need to be a de-infestation but I’m very scared it will become a drawn out process or a reoccurring problem.

Our lease is for 12 months with a 6 month clause but the thought of six months with cockroaches makes me feel sick. Any advice would be welcomed.

Kayleigh

You have a choice:
    a) Keep the house clean and food well sealed -- and they will go.
    b) Get poisoned with insecticides.

According to Wikipedia, cockroaches display collective decision-making when choosing food sources. So it is when they attack you on mass that it's an issue. Just two -- maybe it's just a small cockroach cell.

There is also a cockroach recipe from (Taiwan) -- salted and fried after removing the head and entrails.

I would -- let the landlord know in case it becomes a big problem -- at one week he may be responsible. Later on it is your problem.

Most homes have a few cockroaches
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...nce-weighs-in/

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
    X