My landlord didn't protect my deposit and wants to deduct for repairs

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    My landlord didn't protect my deposit and wants to deduct for repairs

    I'm just looking for a bit of advice from someone that probably knows a bit more than I do.

    I believe it is a legal requirement to protect a deposit - I knew it wasn't protected and I never did anything about it because I'm a trusting person. Does anybody have any advice of what I can do about this please?

    Another comment is that the landlord is wanting to deduct costs myself and my flatmate do not agree with. Obviously we have got back in touch with the landlord and want to dispute this with him - he seems reluctant to send us photos of the repairs that need doing via email. He has sent most things via WhatsApp.

    One last thing, we did not receive an inventory from the landlord when we moved in, even though we asked of several occasions. Stupidly, we never took any photos of the state of the flat when we moved in - will this effect what the landlord wants to deduct from our deposit?

    Any help would be very much appreciated


    Does landlord live in the same building? If not, follow advice here...
    I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...


      The landlord is entitled to compensation for any loss in value to their property beyond fair wear and tear that occurs during the lease.
      They cannot deduct anything from a deposit that the tenant doesn't agree to (it's the tenant's money, regardless of who possess it).

      If the landlord didn't protect the deposit they a) broke the law and b) took away the option of the free dispute resolution service that is part of that protection service.
      If it was an AST, follow Mr lodger's advice above.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


      Latest Activity


      • Breach of lease contract
        Tania Genco
        I bought the new leasehold flat refurbished 5 years ago by {Mod name removed}. From last December the building cladding fails to stop the rain water infiltration in my flat. Each rain the water penetrates through the walls and round the windows panels. In February, I sent the disrepair notice to {Mod...
        24-05-2019, 11:13 AM
      • Reply to Breach of lease contract
        Tania Genco
        There is only the damage insurance. No collateral warranty, no NHBC or something similar
        25-05-2019, 18:49 PM
      • New Tenancy Issues
        Good Evening All,

        I found this forum by a happy accident and would like advice on a tenancy issues on which I am not an well versed in.

        I have recently moved into a property which has a few issues that are making my stay as a tenant quite uncomfortable. The landlord was being...
        25-05-2019, 18:22 PM
      • Reply to New Tenancy Issues
        The landlord doesn't have to be the owner (however you define it) of the property. Your landlord is whoever granted you the tenancy (i.e. who it says is the landlord on the tenancy agreement).

        You have a right to unwind within 90 days of the start of the tenancy but if and only if you signed...
        25-05-2019, 18:32 PM
      • Universal Credit - Rent Arrears - Tenant not paying - Section 8
        Hello everyone.

        It's about my tenant who was destined to give me trouble.

        So, as soon as universal credit started, Rent payments switched to UC from the local council.

        My tenant is ever since mostly drunk and enjoying the money which he was supposed to pay me as...
        24-05-2019, 22:02 PM
      • Reply to Universal Credit - Rent Arrears - Tenant not paying - Section 8
        I think the one real **** up about UC is the fact the govt thought that those in receipt of full HB could be trusted not to drink it all or smoke it all, sadly we know a lot can not handle any form of budgeting and it's this element which is causing most issues, get the tenant out ASAP and think very...
        25-05-2019, 18:15 PM
      • Renewing A Tenancy
        The tenant wants to renew the tenancy for a further fixed term of 3 years (with a break-clause). The current tenancy agreement has some special terms (e.g. the T can remove certain items of furniture but will have to replace them with like-for-like furniture at the end of the tenancy).

        24-05-2019, 13:31 PM
      • Reply to Renewing A Tenancy
        Lots can go wrong/change in 3 years. Never tie yourself up for tenant advantage. Go periodic, if not I'll bet you'll be back on here needing more advice on how to activate a possibly dodgy break clause.
        25-05-2019, 18:02 PM
      • Deposit - Tenant Fees Act 2019
        I'm a landlord and would appreciate if you could advise whether I will be in compliance with the Tenant Fees Act 2019.

        I signed a tenancy agreement before 1st June for a tenancy beginning after that date and requested a deposit equal to 6 weeks of rent.

        Based on 30(1)(b),...
        14-04-2019, 08:55 AM
      • Reply to Deposit - Tenant Fees Act 2019
        25-05-2019, 17:44 PM