Dispute with Landlord re: Cleaning costs after leaving. Threatening Court action

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It will be down to evidence evidence evidence. If you have written proof that you agreed to pay the rent then any court case would hinge on acceptable cleaning costs which lead to 2) the inventory - I assume there was one and that your comments about the state of the place when you moved in are fully documented? LL may well be bluffing of course.
    Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Originally posted by Hillsy101 View Post
      WRT cleaning, all my contracts have stipulated the property must be professionally cleaned prior to departure and I expect to see a receipt to prove that.
      You might want to have a look at what the various deposit schemes say about that! Basically their take is that 'professionally cleaned' or 'cleaned to a professional standard' is not an absolute decree and that 'as clean as it was when they moved in' is the standard they will hold the tenant to!

https://www.tenancydepositscheme.com...ct%20terms.pdf

A receipt, however, does give you the option of recalling the cleaning company to remedy a poorly done job!

Comment

Originally posted by Stef Cooke View Post

You might want to have a look at what the various deposit schemes say about that! Basically their take is that 'professionally cleaned' or 'cleaned to a professional standard' is not an absolute decree and that 'as clean as it was when they moved in' is the standard they will hold the tenant to!

https://www.tenancydepositscheme.com...ct%20terms.pdf

A receipt, however, does give you the option of recalling the cleaning company to remedy a poorly done job!
        Well in fairness I do have it professionally cleaned (if not already) prior to tenancy commencing so simply asking for same condition as far as possible and the receipt for this is available to tenant if required. There have been occasions to get the cleaners back!

Comment

I did a Check In before Christmas where the LL was very, very upset that both the new tenant and myself were of the opinion that the whole house needed a good clean! She thought it was very clean, sparkling.

There were 'pet stains' in the carpets, it was dusty and cobwebbed, dead flies in every room and was, generally, grubby. But she had cleaned it herself, as she wasn't happy with the standard of the last professional clean she got (that has to have been really bad!!)

The T checked with me and the agent and asked if that was the condition she wanted it back in... cos he'd save himself half a fortune, and a lot of time and effort, if it was. Pro cleaners were headed for him as I left!

It is one of the main reasons I get angry calls from T and LLs alike - and I am only the Clerk!

Comment

Originally posted by Stef Cooke View Post
            :The T checked with me and the agent and asked if that was the condition she wanted it back in... cos he'd save himself half a fortune, and a lot of time and effort, if it was.
            I would have replied that she should have read the clause that requires the tenant to clean the property in any case at the end of the tenancy.

Comment

I prefer to refer everyone to the relevant dispute service... as I explained and linked to in that same post, jayjay.

But it would be nice to have the same old argument/discussion with you, all over again!

Comment

Mr Landlord is right - a clause in the tenancy agreement is something that the tenant has agreed to, and the landlord can claim compensation for if it is not done.
                That is above and beyond any general principle offered by the guarantor companies about the condition at the tenancy end being broadly the same as when it began.
                It's not (usually) unfair or unreasonable - it's of the same nature as a contract term that makes the tenant responsible for the cost of check out.

The practical issue is that terms like "cleaning to professional standard" have no real or agreed meaning.
                When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Which really is what I was saying... I refer to the adjudicator pages, rather than my own opinion. As I said in the initial post.

The second post was just an amusing anecdote about unreasonable LLs and their rather odd disconnect between how they prepare a property and how they expect to get it back.

The exact same discrepancy exists with many tenants!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                  X