Inspections

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inspections

My lettings agent does inspections every three months. My partner on his rental property has his agent do inspections every six months. Just a general question, how often would you do or have an agent do inspections?

The first one after 3 months. The second one after a further 3 months (so at the 6 month mark) and then every 6 months.

Comment

My council requires them to be three monthly for all properties subject to Additional or Selective landlord licensing.

Remember the inspections are supposed to be to detect the need to do repairs, not to monitor your lifestyle.

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
        Remember the inspections are supposed to be to detect the need to do repairs, not to monitor your lifestyle.
        Hey I do inspections to see whether the contract I have with the tenants is being adhered to. A lot of this does have to do with lifestyle (smoking, cats, damaging stuff, doing things that cause risk to me like keeping petrol in the house) or warning tenants of lifestyle things that will later lead to damage and loss to them and of which they might not be aware (like walking on my flat roofs).

I feel perfectly entitled to do that. Yes some aspects of lifestyle are private, but some are contractual.

Comment

with a housing charity, they do it every month. Normal letting agent does it every quarter.

Comment

I agree with you Andrew. Yes repairs to keep the property in order and tenants happy! but also to check on things, such as mould (drying clothes inside and not ventilating properly) or to make sure the property is not covered in animal waste, or even to make sure they are not hoarding. (I have seen some properties, not mine! Where the whole place was covered in junk, animal poo and mould from poor ventilation!) my tenants also left the gas on, on the gas fire and went on holiday, came back and then called National grid out to a “gas leak” the agent called me who obviously panicked! Only to be told two hours later that the gas fire had been left on by the tenants (that was over Bon fire night as well!) So after that I thought quarterley inspections was the way forward to make sure the property is being looked after and to look after the property as well and carry out necessary repairs.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Convoluted landlord issues (tenant)
              Chris49
              Good morning everybody, hope you are all enjoying the bank holiday.

Sorry that this will likely be a very long post, I would like to put all the details on the table.

To start I moved into my current house share last year in August. Prior to moving in the advertisement has...
              26-05-2018, 10:54 AM
            • Reply to Convoluted landlord issues (tenant)
              KTC
              Who is listed as landlord in the tenancy agreement?

If the person you are living with is not listed, then the fact that he is a brother of the landlord is irrelevant and you are a tenant assuming you're not in some converted flat and the landlord live elsewhere in the same building or similar....
              26-05-2018, 11:14 AM
            • PAT Testing
              wotsitallabout
              Hello, the house is an hmo and let to tenants. Does the electrician have to NICEIC qualified or is City and Guilds ok please?

Regards, nice weekend to you all.
              19-05-2018, 10:49 AM
            • Reply to PAT Testing
              wotsitallabout
              Thank you everyone, the HSE web page is good, Nukecad.
              Regards to all.
              26-05-2018, 11:08 AM
            • Reply to Convoluted landlord issues (tenant)
              jpkeates
              Unless the brother is named on the tenancy agreement as landlord (or joint landlord), his residence in the property won't change anything relating to the AST.

Whether you have an AST depends on what you rent. So, if you rent a room in a house with exclusive access - and have access to common...
              26-05-2018, 11:08 AM
            • Tenancy break up
              Captain Birdseye
              Hi hope someone can help with this situation.

Tenants have been with me for over a year and signed joint tenancy. Now on a periodic tenancy the lead tenant has given me 1 months notice to vacate the property due to relationship break down. The other person wishes to stay in the property...
              26-05-2018, 10:49 AM
            • Reply to Tenancy break up
              KTC
              Assuming statutory periodic and not contractual periodic with terms otherwise. If the tenant's notice was a valid notice to quit (in writing, at least one month if paying monthly, ending on the first or last day of a period of tenancy), then the tenancy would end on the notice expiry.

If...
              26-05-2018, 11:07 AM
            • Reply to Tenancy break up
              jpkeates
              If there is a joint tenancy, the notice by the exiting tenant's notice ends the tenancy (when it expires and assuming it was valid).
              That ends the tenancy for both of them and the other person will have to leave when the notice expires.

If they don't leave, they will theoretically...
              26-05-2018, 11:01 AM
            • Attic conversion liability issues
              Col13
              Hi, I am new to the letting business, and have just come into possession of a terraced house that I intend to let rather than sell. The attic in the house I am about to let out was converted 35 years ago, without building control or planning. Its fine, but doesnt satisfy modern regs in terms of fire...
              26-05-2018, 10:18 AM
            • Dispute with landlord over deposit
              MarieMB
              I have recently moved out of a property and requested my deposit back (£2000) from my landlord which has been protected in My Deposits scheme. I paid rent every month on time and gave him the correct amount of notice prior to moving out. I left the flat clean and received an email response from him...
              13-05-2018, 20:47 PM
            Working...
            X