Deposit - What amount is reasonable to deduct?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jpkeates,

Thanks for your message! How would I go about assessing the worth of the damage and discussing this with the landlord?

Comment

The formula for a complete write off is:
      (Cost of the original item and any installation/fitting (not the cost of a replacement) / expected lifetime) * (expected lifetime - actual lifetime).
      That is, compensation for the lost value (life of use) of the item.

But this isn't written off, it's just chipped and perfectly usable.

Cosmetic damage is almost impossible to accurately calculate and agree, and, if the claim goes to a 3rd party for adjudication, would probably result in no award at all or a tiny amount, simply because there has been "some" damage beyond fair wear and tear.

I'd see what the landlord proposes (they'll have to justify it) and, if you don't agree with the proposal, challenge it, and, if you can't agree, use the deposit protection company's dispute resolution service.

If the landlord does try and claim a complete bathroom suite, my first suggestion would be that they get some legal advice or talk to their landlord association (or visit a forum like this one) - that suggestion completely out of the question and would reflect a landlord without any clue what they were doing (which isn't uncommon).
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thanks jpkeates! Really appreciate your input! Very helpful!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X