tenant hasn't paid last months rent

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you give 24 hours notice of your intention to visit to inspect the condition of the property, you have a right to enter.
    The tenant can decline to allow you in, or lock you out (they have a right to exclude you that matches your right to enter).

So you turn up when you say you will (presuming they haven't responded) with a witness, knock, make a lot of noise opening the door, shout hello anyone there for a while until you are sure you're a) dealing with an empty house or b) you and the witness can honestly say you believed you were and go in.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Ok, thanks for that bit of information. Hopefully it looks like it won't come to this as I received a text back from the tenant stating a time that is ok for me to pick the keys up. I have a feeling they have already moved out and living else where and are just waiting for the date stated on the S21 notice to hand the keys back.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Landlord trying to keep deposit
        cherrie
        My former landlord and letting agent are trying to withheld my deposit. (England 12month AST).
        They are trying to claim I caused damage to the carpets and walls but this damage actually belongs to the second flat in the same building and was caused by the previous tenant of that flat who left...
        15-04-2019, 18:04 PM
      • Reply to Landlord trying to keep deposit
        jpkeates
        It would depend on the wording, but generally speaking the tenancy agreement documents the terms of the tenancy and doesn't have an existance separate to it.
        It's not helpful that in England, land law and contract law operate slightly differently, but the idea (for example) that the contractual...
        18-04-2019, 12:12 PM
        MdeB
        Yes, the tenancy ends, but what about the contract?

The contract says that it will continue beyond the fixed term unless notice is served to prevent that.
        Shelter seem to believe that if the contract says T must give notice, then LL has a case if T does not.(https://england.shelt...
        18-04-2019, 11:52 AM
        MdeB
        You did exactly what your contract required, so notice is deemed served.

You may wish to point this out to them....
        18-04-2019, 11:42 AM
        MdeB
        Of course T can serve notice during the fixed term. It is just that T cannot serve legally-binding notice to quit during the fixed term.

There is nothing to stop T serving notice on L stating that that they do not intend staying in the property beyond the fixed term....
        18-04-2019, 11:40 AM
      • Switch Agent?
        charliesunnysky
        The owner of the lettings agency who manage my property sold the business on to a small independent chain 2 months ago, and the 2 staff who worked there apparently moved on for personal reasons, both on Friday.

An employee from the chain has been drafted in to cover. 2 months ago my letting...
        15-04-2019, 12:11 PM
      • Reply to Switch Agent?
        jpkeates
        You don't want rent paid fortnightly.

If the tenant is paying fortnightly that causes all kinds of complications with notice, particularly if it's not in line with the original tenancy agreement,

If the tenant is paying monthly and the agent is sitting on half of it, that would...
        18-04-2019, 11:25 AM
      • Reply to Switch Agent?
        charliesunnysky
        You're correct. It's been sold as a going concern, so nothing changes.

To coincide with the chain taking over, payments were switched from monthly to fortnightly (I don't know if the tenant pays fortnightly too, or if they continue to pay monthly and the agent drip-feeds it to the LL)....
        18-04-2019, 10:51 AM
      • Potentially buying a property with tenant insitu
        Vgirly
        Viewing a property with a tenant in currently. What paperwork would you want to see before you proceeded with the purchase? I'm presuming contract and proof of rent payment, anything else?
        18-04-2019, 09:16 AM
      • Reply to Potentially buying a property with tenant insitu
        jpkeates
        I've done this in the past quite successfully, but I wouldn't do it anymore.
        There are so many issues that the previous landlord can have created that it simply isn't worth it.
        18-04-2019, 10:09 AM
      Working...
      X