• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lauren 1234
    started a topic Partner as Permitted occupier worries

Partner as Permitted occupier worries

Hi all

Apologies if this has been answered somewhere but u have looked everywhere and can' find an answer!!

My current landlord is selling their property so I have put an app in for a new one. I have been renting on my own for three years and not caused any problems my credit is fine and my job is a decent permanent one. I have applied as a sole tennant however my partner is currently looking to move down here. I need to move now hence the sole tenancy but he should be here soon too. He has a ccj in his name as a result of his parents going bankrupt and dragging him into a legal battle. We would like him ideally as a permitted occupier as I can pay the rent on my own. Agent has said he can go on as a permitted occupier in the future if I want or a tennant but either way he needs reference checks.

Can they refuse him as an occupier as a result of the ccj even though I can pay the rent and will likely have been doing for a couple of months too?

Due to his parents mess he is renting a property currently with a garantour and his parents are occupiers...the lease doesn't run out until September. It is very unlikely he can get out of it sooner than that for personal reasons. Is this also going to impact on whether he can be an occupier.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks in advance all!

• DPT57
    replied
    As others have said, be upfront and you should be ok with a reasonable landlord. Even permitted occupiers have to have Right to Rent checks so its not unusual

Leave a comment:

• mariner
    replied
    Credit ref checks are only required for signatory Ts or Guarantor, but as LL I would credit ref anyone wishing to reside in my property. Explain to LL/LA in writng (dated) that you apply as sole T, but you wish your named partner/bf as permtted occupier. LL can reject your T applicaiion.

Leave a comment:

• AndrewDod
    replied
    Than can refuse or not for whatever (legal) reason they like.

CCJs are not binary things. As a landlord I would want the FULL details of what exactly the CCJ was about, with evidence.

It is fairly hard to stop you from taking on a lodger, but if landlord feels hoodwinked they can evict you when able to do so.

I would just be upfront and say that you wish to let as the sole tenant, but want permission to have an unspecified lodger stay at some point (you have more than one potential partner in mind). See what happens.

But this sort of thing is a lesson in why not to get a CCJ.

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Long time tenants , no TA
    Luke
    Q1 – Where is the rented property located (England / Wales / Scotland / N Ireland)?
    Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this e.g. sole tenant / multiple tenant / room only?
    Q3 – What date did current TA start dd/mm/yy?
    Q4 – How long was initial fixed term (6/12/24 months...
    18-09-2019, 07:23 AM
  • Reply to Long time tenants , no TA
    Lawcruncher
    I repeat the question as the answer may be significant....
    22-09-2019, 14:36 PM
  • Cat Urine Smell
    Lucymcmullen
    Hi All, I am looking for some advise please. I've just rented a house and there is a very strong cat urine smell that is unbearable. The house stank when I viewed it but the previous tenant was still there at the time with the cats so I assumed the smell was coming from the litter box. I was informed...
    21-09-2019, 17:59 PM
  • Reply to Cat Urine Smell
    Interlaken
    It might be a good idea to find out where exactly the cat pee is using a UV light. Then treat with bleach multiple times. There are cat urine eliminators out there but I have never found them effective. Eventually the smell will go but I thoroughly recommend the bleach method.

22-09-2019, 12:10 PM
  • Finding new tenant
    artin
    Hi
    Tenants are leaving so looking for new ones for a 2 bedroom flat.
    I usually use state agents and they found 2 single guys which I met last Friday. Both engineers, mid 20s with masters degree and working for the same reasonably medium size company who employ 700 people. Both pleasant...
    15-09-2019, 20:27 PM
  • Reply to Finding new tenant
    artin
    I am accepting them but having rent guarantee insurance in case plus as above 2 months inspections. I also asked the estate agent to add a condition where to ask me if they want to add any bulky furniture except study desks for each bedroom which they wanted me to supply but I refused.

22-09-2019, 11:37 AM
    jpkeates
    There isn't (as far as I know) any accepted definition for someone moving out and back in.
    It would be (I think) something that would be decided on the facts of the specific issue.

If your last tenancy agreement says that there is no deposit, I'd rely on that.
    You can always...
    22-09-2019, 11:15 AM
    jpkeates
    Cat urine is a health hazard.
    Whether it's serious enough a hazard to make a property uninhabitable isn't something I know enough to comment on.

On a practical level, the flooring and carpets need to be replaced.
    Bicarbonate of Soda will dry out the carpets and floor and kill...
    22-09-2019, 11:08 AM
    Luke
    What is the legally accepted definition of the tenants moving out of a property and cessation of previous TA ?
    Would it be written notice from the tenant giving date of leaving ?
    Or would T have to vacate the property for a certain amount of time ?
    How could I legally put an end to...
    22-09-2019, 11:02 AM
    leaseholder64
    If there is no health hazard, I would have thought it was lettable, but with significantly depressed market rent.
    22-09-2019, 10:59 AM
Working...
X