Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Partner as Permitted occupier worries

Hi all

Apologies if this has been answered somewhere but u have looked everywhere and can' find an answer!!

My current landlord is selling their property so I have put an app in for a new one. I have been renting on my own for three years and not caused any problems my credit is fine and my job is a decent permanent one. I have applied as a sole tennant however my partner is currently looking to move down here. I need to move now hence the sole tenancy but he should be here soon too. He has a ccj in his name as a result of his parents going bankrupt and dragging him into a legal battle. We would like him ideally as a permitted occupier as I can pay the rent on my own. Agent has said he can go on as a permitted occupier in the future if I want or a tennant but either way he needs reference checks.

Can they refuse him as an occupier as a result of the ccj even though I can pay the rent and will likely have been doing for a couple of months too?

Due to his parents mess he is renting a property currently with a garantour and his parents are occupiers...the lease doesn't run out until September. It is very unlikely he can get out of it sooner than that for personal reasons. Is this also going to impact on whether he can be an occupier.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks in advance all!

Than can refuse or not for whatever (legal) reason they like.

CCJs are not binary things. As a landlord I would want the FULL details of what exactly the CCJ was about, with evidence.

It is fairly hard to stop you from taking on a lodger, but if landlord feels hoodwinked they can evict you when able to do so.

I would just be upfront and say that you wish to let as the sole tenant, but want permission to have an unspecified lodger stay at some point (you have more than one potential partner in mind). See what happens.

But this sort of thing is a lesson in why not to get a CCJ.

Comment

Credit ref checks are only required for signatory Ts or Guarantor, but as LL I would credit ref anyone wishing to reside in my property. Explain to LL/LA in writng (dated) that you apply as sole T, but you wish your named partner/bf as permtted occupier. LL can reject your T applicaiion.

Comment

As others have said, be upfront and you should be ok with a reasonable landlord. Even permitted occupiers have to have Right to Rent checks so its not unusual

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Please help
          by DorothyMckenzie
          Ultimately you will be able to stay in this property for quite a few months more but obviously not as long as you may have wished - 2- 3 years. Maybe it would be better in the long run for your mental health and general well being to move out earlier ie as soon as you find a suitable property than...
          28-01-2021, 04:08 AM
        • Please help
          by Crystal0108
          Hello I need some advice please.

we rented a property from a landlord for 6 years, everything was new when we moved in, decoratively. Fresh paint, cheap low pile carpets but new never the less.

at the end of tenancy we repainted the house for him , we paid for the carpets to...
          27-01-2021, 19:37 PM
        • Reply to Refurbishments / Unhappy Tenant
          by Jon66
          I can't believe this is plastic. You can't play on a plastic washboard ­čĄö...
          28-01-2021, 01:18 AM
        • Refurbishments / Unhappy Tenant
          by london91
          Hello,

We live in a two bedroom property in London. I moved in early next year and my housemate moved in shortly after. The landlord said the kitchen would be updated by September, however due to the pandemic and financial reasons, she pushed it back to January 2021. The kitchen and bathroom...
          27-01-2021, 19:38 PM
        • Any complications caused from leaseholder refurbishing communal parts
          by leaseholder56
          We are one of 2 leaseholders, converting an office building into 3 flats. The freeholder and other leaseholder, have agreed for us to refurbish the communal parts. We are aware of all the required building & fire regulations. Until now, we've simply split the cost between us, the leaseholders....
          27-01-2021, 23:22 PM
          by JK0
          Did you notice that is in the 'musical instruments' section of Amazon, Nukecad?

Maybe o/p can learn to play it while his Mrs is at the launderette. ...
          27-01-2021, 22:50 PM
          by ash72
          Unfortunately, you were told when the works would start and that anyone would know that there would be disruption with noise and dust when the works are being carried out. You just need to live with it until it is finished and then enjoy the new kitchen in peace and quiet.

There is no harm...
          27-01-2021, 22:50 PM
        • Reply to Total Nightmare
          by ash72
          Any company that thinks they can get them out is fooling you, and just taking your money. Due to the lack of knowledge and experience, the law is on the T's side in this case. I hope you have protected any deposit, EPC, etc, otherwise you may be ending up paying them money in compensation.
          27-01-2021, 22:42 PM
        • Total Nightmare
          by HLGGG
          This is my partner's property so am writing on his behalf.

He rented his house to a friend.. did not get a tenancy agreement signed..I know,, I know

Then his friend left leaving the house to his gf and small child. We attempted a section 21 but the company were awful and it...
          27-01-2021, 15:22 PM
        • Reply to Buying the Freehold
          by ash72
          Being the freeholder of a small block may not be for you, there's are guidelines and procedures you need to follow, for example when the ground rent or service charge is payable. The insurance of the building, what to do when of the flat's doesn't pay. Annual accounts, the list is endless based on your...
          27-01-2021, 22:37 PM
        Working...
        X