Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Partner as Permitted occupier worries

Hi all

Apologies if this has been answered somewhere but u have looked everywhere and can' find an answer!!

My current landlord is selling their property so I have put an app in for a new one. I have been renting on my own for three years and not caused any problems my credit is fine and my job is a decent permanent one. I have applied as a sole tennant however my partner is currently looking to move down here. I need to move now hence the sole tenancy but he should be here soon too. He has a ccj in his name as a result of his parents going bankrupt and dragging him into a legal battle. We would like him ideally as a permitted occupier as I can pay the rent on my own. Agent has said he can go on as a permitted occupier in the future if I want or a tennant but either way he needs reference checks.

Can they refuse him as an occupier as a result of the ccj even though I can pay the rent and will likely have been doing for a couple of months too?

Due to his parents mess he is renting a property currently with a garantour and his parents are occupiers...the lease doesn't run out until September. It is very unlikely he can get out of it sooner than that for personal reasons. Is this also going to impact on whether he can be an occupier.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks in advance all!

Than can refuse or not for whatever (legal) reason they like.

CCJs are not binary things. As a landlord I would want the FULL details of what exactly the CCJ was about, with evidence.

It is fairly hard to stop you from taking on a lodger, but if landlord feels hoodwinked they can evict you when able to do so.

I would just be upfront and say that you wish to let as the sole tenant, but want permission to have an unspecified lodger stay at some point (you have more than one potential partner in mind). See what happens.

But this sort of thing is a lesson in why not to get a CCJ.

Comment

Credit ref checks are only required for signatory Ts or Guarantor, but as LL I would credit ref anyone wishing to reside in my property. Explain to LL/LA in writng (dated) that you apply as sole T, but you wish your named partner/bf as permtted occupier. LL can reject your T applicaiion.

Comment

As others have said, be upfront and you should be ok with a reasonable landlord. Even permitted occupiers have to have Right to Rent checks so its not unusual

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Tenancy break up
          Captain Birdseye
          Hi hope someone can help with this situation.

Tenants have been with me for over a year and signed joint tenancy. Now on a periodic tenancy the lead tenant has given me 1 months notice to vacate the property due to relationship break down. The other person wishes to stay in the property...
          26-05-2018, 10:49 AM
        • Reply to Tenancy break up
          DPT57
          Just tell them they will all have to leave once she serves notice and explain the consequences if trespass if they dont leave. Once she has served the notice it cant be revoked so its out of your hands anyway
          27-05-2018, 15:03 PM
        • Attic conversion liability issues
          Col13
          Hi, I am new to the letting business, and have just come into possession of a terraced house that I intend to let rather than sell. The attic in the house I am about to let out was converted 35 years ago, without building control or planning. Its fine, but doesnt satisfy modern regs in terms of fire...
          26-05-2018, 10:18 AM
        • Reply to Attic conversion liability issues
          DPT57
          Tenants will be tempted to sublet the attic or AirBnB it. If you have concerns about the attic space then I would say this property is not really suitable for letting
          27-05-2018, 14:59 PM
        • Dispute with landlord over deposit
          MarieMB
          I have recently moved out of a property and requested my deposit back (£2000) from my landlord which has been protected in My Deposits scheme. I paid rent every month on time and gave him the correct amount of notice prior to moving out. I left the flat clean and received an email response from him...
          13-05-2018, 20:47 PM
        • Reply to Dispute with landlord over deposit
          MarieMB
          Hi all,

Thank you for all of your responses. They are very helpful.

Mariner, to answer your questions, it was a joint tenancy, I am listed as the lead tenant and it is my name on the deposit scheme. He took out the insurance option, which means he has spent the money. What...
          27-05-2018, 13:10 PM
        • Gdpr
          serendipity129
          Reading so much conflicting information.....I have 1 property, 1 tenant and I hols and electronic contract and have their email address, should I register and send a privacy notice?
          24-05-2018, 09:43 AM
        • Reply to Gdpr
          JK0
          Thing is, if that were the case, now the law is in place, it is too late to email anyone to ask for consent for future emails. ...
          27-05-2018, 10:58 AM
        • Reply to Gdpr
          Stef Cooke
          Rarely! And the number of large corporations who got it all wrong, some of whom are now trying to say they are sorry, can they take it all back?

I am holding off with the "I told you so's" for the more stridently convinced colleagues who were so rudely certain they had to ask...
          27-05-2018, 10:14 AM
        • moving furniture in before official occupation date.
          ShinyTim
          Thats it really, would you let tenants move their furniture in, before the official date on the t/a
          they have paid the deposit and the 1st months rent, signed the agreement, and have been offered a free van to use on a date a week before I am to give them the keys

have been a landlord...
          23-05-2018, 09:33 AM
        Working...
        X