X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ekoor
    started a topic Tenant has disappeared and left all belongings

Tenant has disappeared and left all belongings

Hello all, I am new to the forum and looking for some advice or help if anyone has been in a similar situation.

My tenants paid 1/2 of November's rent and told us they were going away for Christmas. They didn't pay December's rent nor January so are two months in arrears. We have tried to contact them by email, post, text and phone and they we have not heard from them since 27th November. The neighbours have not seen them since 4th December, they went away to the Philippines where the wife was from.

So I have issued a section 8 notice on 9th January as they are 2 months in arrears and also the house is damaged inside and they have been late on rental payments for the last 6 months. I did this by email (sent a read receipt which hasn't been read) and also by post. I gave them until 23rd January to leave.

As they are not in the country and all of their possessions including 2 uninsured cars are on the drive and the property doesn't have any electricity or gas, I am planning to apply to the courts on 23th January for a possession order. Is this the correct thing to do? I have rent guarantee and legal protection insurance and they just said to contact them after 23rd to start proceedings.

What is the normal timescale, how does this work? I have read for abandonment it can sometimes take 6 months, we also need a complete refurb of the house before we can put it on the market again - and we are already owed £2100! What happens with their possessions and when can we change locks?

Any advise or suggestions will be most gratefully received.

Many thanks
    Caroline

Property in England
    Tenants are husband/wife plus 4 children
    12 month contract from 8 Nov 2017 - Nov 2018
    Rent due monthly

• MisterB
    replied
    take a deep breath and submit the info as suggested after the 23rd. then follow their advice ....

Leave a comment:

• Ekoor
    replied
    I was hoping for some advice and support as this is our first ever rental property and we are just so confused with what to do and panicking about how long it will all take. As we cannot get hold of the tenants also I have not read many case studies were the tenants have disappeared with all of their belongings plus cars still in the house. The insurance legal services are not offering me much advice - just that I need to get my legal forms sent off to see if I will actually be covered.

Leave a comment:

• mariner
    replied
    You have insufficient funds in that account to cover all your outgoings.
    Either transfer enough money in or sell the property.

Leave a comment:

• Ekoor
    replied
    Originally posted by rfph1 View Post

So doesnt really matter how long it takes - you get your rent, and I suspect absent tenants will cause little damage ?!?
    Well it does kind of matter because I am already out of pocket, have to find the money to pay for the rent while the court process is going through as well as the refurb of the house and only have enough money in that account to cover 3 months of rent due to having to pay self assessment recently. And you know what insurance companies are like they are bound to find some sort of clause to get out of paying me back for it all!

Leave a comment:

• StuartH
    replied
    Originally posted by DPT57 View Post
    I think you will have to store their possessions safely somewhere for at least 3 months and then dispose of them or sell them.
    The government's 'new' How to Rent information states "The landlord is entitled to dispose of possessions left in the property after, typically, 14 days." Things are never as simple as that, but if you become an 'involuntary bailee' of someone else's goods, then your overriding duty is to do what is right and reasonable in the circumstances. However, the goods can never become 'yours' by default.

Leave a comment:

• rfph1
    replied
    Originally posted by Ekoor View Post
    I have rent guarantee and legal protection insurance and they just said to contact them after 23rd to start proceedings.
    So doesnt really matter how long it takes - you get your rent, and I suspect absent tenants will cause little damage ?!?

Leave a comment:

• Ekoor
    replied
    Originally posted by KTC View Post

If you're planning on making an insurance claim, follow the instruction of your insurance company on they want you to do when.
    Thank you. Yes I am following their instruction, i just am worried how long it will take as they haven't really given me any indication. Nor on what to do if they have left possessions. Basically just said contact us on 23rd and we will deal with it then. I just want an idea on when i can start getting people in for refurb quotes and start getting it back on the market as think we will be out of pocket for quite some time!

Leave a comment:

• KTC
    replied
    Originally posted by Ekoor View Post
    I have rent guarantee and legal protection insurance and they just said to contact them after 23rd to start proceedings.
    If you're planning on making an insurance claim, follow the instruction of your insurance company on they want you to do when.

Leave a comment:

• DPT57
    replied
    Yes, I think applying to the Courts for possession is the correct thing to do. You will then need bailiffs to give you back possession. I think you will have to store their possessions safely somewhere for at least 3 months and then dispose of them or sell them. I am not sure whether you would be able to offset any sale proceeds against the debt but that may be something to ask the court. Others here may also know.

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Management contract advice
    MrQ
    I rent my property via a letting agent using their fully managed service, for various reasons I need to switch to another management company. I have given notice in writing to the current agents and I have received the response below. I believe it is only the first 6 months of the agreement that I could...
    12-12-2018, 10:53 AM
  • Reply to Management contract advice
    MrQ
    Thank you for responding and apologies if I sound a bit thick, please could you let me know which part of the statement relates to me not being able to get out this contract within a months notice? Point 18 states within the first 6 months and point 24 states a months notice to be given. the statement...
    12-12-2018, 11:44 AM
  • Reply to Management contract advice
    jpkeates
    There are a number of issues.

You have agreed to this contract, and, as far as I can see it says what the agent says it does.
    Which makes things a bit tricky.

The "compensation" has to be in line with the loss that the agent is making, otherwise it's a penalty,...
    12-12-2018, 11:15 AM
  • section 21 and how to rent guide
    lavy
    Hi do you have to serve an up to date how to rent guide when a tenancy moves to a periodic tenancy from a standard 6 months tenancy or is the original how to rent guide sufficient in order to serve a valid section 21 notice...
    09-12-2018, 10:11 AM
  • Reply to section 21 and how to rent guide
    KTC
    No. Serve it before, even just a day before, not at the same time....
    12-12-2018, 11:08 AM
  • Calculating/Limiting My Risk
    Claymore
    Hi

My former home is up for rent. Current tenants are leaving in a couple of weeks. I have a set of prospective tenants who really want the house. On my pre-screening questionnaire, I asked the question 'do you have a good credit history'. The answer came back as No, followed by an...
    11-12-2018, 01:03 AM
  • Reply to Calculating/Limiting My Risk
    jpkeates
    The facts are different.
    In that case the months for which the payment was made in advance were known.
    it was the first six months of the tenancy.

"The point can be tested by asking, rhetorically, how the tenant would have responded to a demand, on 1 September 2010, for...
    12-12-2018, 10:36 AM
  • Reply to section 21 and how to rent guide
    jghomer
    OK, Thanks KTC.

That is quite a relief! Not least because I don't have to monitor the conversion of tenancies from Fixed Term to SPT, and issue New Guides before it happens!

Out of interest do you think it would be ok to simply serve any new guide with the S21 itself? Or...
    12-12-2018, 10:16 AM
  • Reply to Calculating/Limiting My Risk
    Lawcruncher
    It may cover the proposal, but one cannot be sure because the tenant is required to start paying rent before the six months' rent has "run out". At that point the tenant is always two months in hand. If the tenant leaves before the fixed term ends he will be due some rent back if he has paid...
    12-12-2018, 09:55 AM
  • What lease for renting a room but landlords occasionally use another room in flat?
    Big Fred
    My wife and I are considering buying a property with 3 bedrooms and renting each of the 2 bedrooms to one individual. There would be a total of 2 people living fulltime in the flat.The 3rd bedroom would be ours to live in from time to time when we are visiting London, a total of about 3 to 4 months...
    11-12-2018, 18:58 PM
Working...
X