Small damage to landlords wooden floor...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small damage to landlords wooden floor...

Hello,

​​​​​Im new here so I hope i posted in right section.

​​​​​​I have a problem, I was helping out a friend and I kept her cat at my place for a few days, because it all came so fast i had to make a toilet really fast for cat .. it was from cardboard box on wooden floor and yes it leaked. Ofcourse i didnt think about it then..
    I have gotten that stain lighter, it was black before, also we got light floors. Its not very big like 15x15 cm is damaged, we live in 3 bedroom apt and that stain is in the smallest/most further room. We have a contract for 3 years, been living here for 1 year now, we have always payd on time and havent had any more accidents or problems here. So i guess my question is what would be landlords reaction to this?
    He seems like a reasonable guy but im still afraid i might have to pay for refinishing the floor...

Thank you for replys!!

What does your contract say about having pets in the property?

Comment

The landlord is able to claim for any loss beyond fair wear and tear that occurs during the tenancy.
      The damage isn't fair wear and tear, so the landlord can ask you for compensation.

Will the landlord even notice before you move out - which is when any claim can be made?
      Otherwise, get it fixed at your cost and keep quiet about it.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Hi - I'm also a tenant.

In a previous property we lived in (only for 12 months) the LL had laid laminate flooring - the kind that you slot the boards together - and we damaged a part of one of the boards (I stood on a chair to change a light bulb and the leg of the chair pushed through the board). It was noticed on the leaving inspection - I argued that it was barely noticeable but (rightly so) the LL said it was beyond fair wear and tear. I had an issue because he had it fixed *before* telling me there was any damage and wanted me to pay for it. They had the floor 'lifted' and the board replaced and paid a couple of hundred quid. I argued that we should have got quotes and agreement up front, and also that had I known it was an issue you could 'fill' the gap for about £20 - took it to the Deposit Resolution service, we both put evidence forward and they came up with a reasonable cost of about £70 to me.

In my current property, we have been here for 5 years and probably will be for another 2. I have paid at my expense to put new lino through all of downstairs - replacing previous lino and carpet. This is because I have animals, the original carpet was paper thin, and we wanted it to look nicer. Cost me £500, LL paid nothing.

So I guess the question is - try and find out how much it would cost to 'put right' yourself, and make the decision based on how long you want to stay there, how nice you want it to look. Chances are it will cost you _something_ - there is no swerving that unless you are lucky, but dont think you have to stump up that money now. It can be when you leave and taken from your deposit. If there is a cheap solution out there, I'd advise you do it without telling LL, chances are they will go for the higher priced 'correct' fix and make you pay for it later....

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Killuzka View Post
          So i guess my question is what would be landlords reaction to this?
          He seems like a reasonable guy but im still afraid i might have to pay for refinishing the floor...

Thank you for replys!!
          Yes, it would be reasonable for your landlord to expect you to pay for the floor to be returned to the condition it was in when you moved in minus fair wear and tear. Depending on how deep the dark stain goes into the surface of the wood, this may be achieved by sanding and revarnishing/oiling/polishing, or it might required a new section of floor board fitting. How far is the stained plank from the edge of the room?
          'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by RedHitman View Post
            What does your contract say about having pets in the property?
            Nothing, but he is owner of the whole house and our neigbour has a cat so i think its allowed

Comment

mind the gap,

So far I've bleached it, it was black before, now its getting lighter,
              It might be an opportunity, but i doubt i will get it to same color as before.
              You mean like from the wall? About 20cm

Comment

vandamme,

Thanks, yea maybe I should ask a professional like how much would it cost to repair a few tiles, we also have a laminat floor.

Comment

Could it be possible that if i get it with bleaching around same color that he would just shrug it off?

Or most LL still dont care, and let tenant fix everything they damaged.

Comment

Most landlords on this forum would want it professionally repaired, even if you think you've done a good job. I would ask him now so that you can start saving for a new floor if you need to. It may still be possible to get the wooden boards to replace just a small section, but as time goes on that will become less likely.

Comment

Originally posted by Killuzka View Post
                      mind the gap,

So far I've bleached it, it was black before, now its getting lighter,
                      It might be an opportunity, but i doubt i will get it to same color as before.
                      You mean like from the wall? About 20cm
                      I was wondering whether a single row of planks could be removed and a new one inserted. That's sometimes possible at the edge of the room (depending on which side the planks were laid from).
                      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Is it a solid wooden floor or laminate? If solid wood you could try a light sand. May come up lighter than the surrounding area, but see how it wears over the next couple of years as may just blend in or could try applying a light oil.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Convoluted landlord issues (tenant)
                          Chris49
                          Good morning everybody, hope you are all enjoying the bank holiday.

Sorry that this will likely be a very long post, I would like to put all the details on the table.

To start I moved into my current house share last year in August. Prior to moving in the advertisement has...
                          26-05-2018, 10:54 AM
                        • Reply to Convoluted landlord issues (tenant)
                          KTC
                          Who is listed as landlord in the tenancy agreement?

If the person you are living with is not listed, then the fact that he is a brother of the landlord is irrelevant and you are a tenant assuming you're not in some converted flat and the landlord live elsewhere in the same building or similar....
                          26-05-2018, 11:14 AM
                        • PAT Testing
                          wotsitallabout
                          Hello, the house is an hmo and let to tenants. Does the electrician have to NICEIC qualified or is City and Guilds ok please?

Regards, nice weekend to you all.
                          19-05-2018, 10:49 AM
                        • Reply to PAT Testing
                          wotsitallabout
                          Thank you everyone, the HSE web page is good, Nukecad.
                          Regards to all.
                          26-05-2018, 11:08 AM
                        • Reply to Convoluted landlord issues (tenant)
                          jpkeates
                          Unless the brother is named on the tenancy agreement as landlord (or joint landlord), his residence in the property won't change anything relating to the AST.

Whether you have an AST depends on what you rent. So, if you rent a room in a house with exclusive access - and have access to common...
                          26-05-2018, 11:08 AM
                        • Tenancy break up
                          Captain Birdseye
                          Hi hope someone can help with this situation.

Tenants have been with me for over a year and signed joint tenancy. Now on a periodic tenancy the lead tenant has given me 1 months notice to vacate the property due to relationship break down. The other person wishes to stay in the property...
                          26-05-2018, 10:49 AM
                        • Reply to Tenancy break up
                          KTC
                          Assuming statutory periodic and not contractual periodic with terms otherwise. If the tenant's notice was a valid notice to quit (in writing, at least one month if paying monthly, ending on the first or last day of a period of tenancy), then the tenancy would end on the notice expiry.

If...
                          26-05-2018, 11:07 AM
                        • Reply to Tenancy break up
                          jpkeates
                          If there is a joint tenancy, the notice by the exiting tenant's notice ends the tenancy (when it expires and assuming it was valid).
                          That ends the tenancy for both of them and the other person will have to leave when the notice expires.

If they don't leave, they will theoretically...
                          26-05-2018, 11:01 AM
                        • Attic conversion liability issues
                          Col13
                          Hi, I am new to the letting business, and have just come into possession of a terraced house that I intend to let rather than sell. The attic in the house I am about to let out was converted 35 years ago, without building control or planning. Its fine, but doesnt satisfy modern regs in terms of fire...
                          26-05-2018, 10:18 AM
                        • Dispute with landlord over deposit
                          MarieMB
                          I have recently moved out of a property and requested my deposit back (£2000) from my landlord which has been protected in My Deposits scheme. I paid rent every month on time and gave him the correct amount of notice prior to moving out. I left the flat clean and received an email response from him...
                          13-05-2018, 20:47 PM
                        Working...
                        X