Help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help

I seriously need some help. I have a house that the tenant & family have moved out of to become landlords of a pub. They continue to pay rent so will not give me access or keys. I need to sell ASAP but can't get in. I have proof they don't live there. I have now issued a section 8 thinking I could get an accelerated possession order but don't think I can. How can I get possession back quickly.

Quite right they shouldn't give you access or keys, unless the tenancy agreement is terminated and if they are still paying rent then the property is theirs regardless of where they lay their head at night. They could rent 10 properties if they wished and live in America.
    "I'm afraid I didn't do enough background checks apart from checking her identity on Facebook" - ANON

What I say is based on my own experience and research - Please don't take as gospel without first checking the gospel yourself.

Comment

They have broken the tenancy agreement by leaving the property empty for 6/7 months. I offered to sell with them as sitting tenants but they still won't allow me, agent or potential buyers in to view! What am I supposed to do? Keep a house that I financially can't afford?

Comment

They have not "abandoned" the property if they are still paying their rent. Either wait for the s21 to expire and apply to court for possession, or if you can prove that they're no longer occupying the property as their "only or principal home", then serve Notice to Quit and apply to court.
        I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

Comment

Thank you for your reply. That seems the most sensible way to go.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Joint tenancy - end fixed term
            Nottinverno
            Hello,

need some advice, please, I'm getting mad at this.

I have a joint tenancy, renting a flat through an agency with other 2 people, ending end January.
            I have decided to move out and I gave my notice (to both the agency and my flatmates) last end November, however...
            09-01-2018, 14:29 PM
          • Reply to Joint tenancy - end fixed term
            mariner
            How did you give Notice on 1 Jan 18?
            You can leave at any time but your T will not end until 31 Feb 18 IMO.
            (1 Jan -31 Jan does not give requisite min of 1 rental period). LL may be more tolerant on dates.
            20-01-2018, 01:26 AM
          • Whos responsible for slow draining bathroom sink and black grout? Landlord or Tenant?
            Bounce
            Hi

I was wondering if anybody could help me and tell me who could be responsible Landlord or Tenant?

One of my properties, the tenant has been in there about 2 years and normally has always called me direct for any little problem.

I then went through months where...
            Black Grout they want me to get redone...
            17-01-2018, 21:53 PM
          • Reply to Whos responsible for slow draining bathroom sink and black grout? Landlord or Tenant?
            Bounce
            In regards to this, I attended the property today with a plumber, as he tenants claimed they had tried using some sink unblocker and plunger etc...

When we were shown the sink she now decides to tell us that since using the sink unblocker it doesn't seem to bad (she could have told me this...
            19-01-2018, 23:13 PM
            KTC
            Ask the solicitor for their interpretation of section 5(5)(b) of the Housing Act 1988 regarding giving a notice to quit on the first day of the statutory periodic tenancy.
            19-01-2018, 22:54 PM
            Nottinverno
            Oh nono, I have to leave at the end of Feb. I have already moved forward my move and luckily the new landlord is flexible, but I can't stay other 2 months in my current place.
            It really seems that as soon as the periodic roll starts I can serve 1 month notice, so by end Feb I should be able to...
            19-01-2018, 22:48 PM
          • Payment Break
            OlliesDad
            I have a great long-term tenant who, along with her husband and daughter has been with me for nearly 5 years. Unfortunately the husband has done the dirty and left leaving her with nothing but debts. Her finances are in a mess and she has said she may need to move in with family whilst she sorts herself...
            18-01-2018, 21:27 PM
          • Reply to Payment Break
            royw
            You have a good tenant and if it were me I'd be looking for ways to keep her rather than evict her. Might be worth having a chat and find out how much she can afford now and in the long-term. If she can afford it on her own once the debts are cleared possibly offer her a reduced rent for a year equivalent...
            19-01-2018, 22:26 PM
          • Tenants not vacated at check-out
            tatemono
            Had a lovely young couple with a baby in our property for about 8 months, they gave notice to leave as he'd moved out after they split up and she couldn't afford rent. Sad situation for them. Property has been on market since.

Anyway, yesterday our very competent and well-trusted long-standing...
            09-01-2018, 08:58 AM
          • Reply to Tenants not vacated at check-out
            KTC
            If it were a notice to quit given during a periodic tenancy, as opposed to an agreement with the landlord during the fixed term, then tenancy has ended. Validity of a notice to quit does not depend on whether the tenant follow up and acting in accordance to it. A notice to quit is not a notice of intention....
            19-01-2018, 22:20 PM
          Working...
          X