Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 tenants only 1 gave Notice for himself is this binding on all

Hello

I rented my property to 3 individuals on 1 feb 2017 on a fixed one year contract which has a clause where tenants must serve a 2 month notice to leave, not expiring before the end of the term

One of the tenants found it hard to pay and initially wanted to move out but then stayed and emailed to say he was not going to renew the tenancy and he was going to leave and to accept this as his notice

The other 2 tenants said nothing and then said they wanted to stay and we spoke about a new agreement to start 1 Feb 2018 in just their 2 names and a slight increase in rent. They were then going to find another person themselves

After new year they decided they wanted to leave and say they will leave end of January 2018 with no further notice as the first tenants notice brought the tenancy to the end for all of them

I disagree I feel they would need to serve a proper notice or at least a months notice from the end of the current tenancy

Please help I m really stuck ...when they moved in I put in new carpets for them as they said they wanted to stay for a long period . Agent seems to be siding them too and they say they have sought legal advice and this is the correct position.

There is the deposit with dps, if they leave at the end of January 2018 what are my chances of getting the month rent from the deposit.

Thank you

I assume all 3 are listed as joint Ts?
    All 3 are legally entitled to vacate on last day of fixed Term with no Notice.
    If only 1 remains after that date they jointly resp for rent & property until expiry of theirvalid, ind SPT, 1 month Notices. Just be grateful all have indicated their intention to vacate by end of Fixed Term (pref get that in writing).
    Voids are to be expected in any AST Contract. That is why all LLs should have undertaken some basic training.

Comment

Thank you for your reply

I suppose the question is that the tenancy agreement said 2 months notice must be given ... Only 1 tenant emailed to say he will not renew and the other two were in negotiations to renew the agreement into their own names only.

Has the single tenant fulfilled the agreement requirements of the notice by this email alone. I suppose that would also be the question can one single tenant simply serve notice to quit when in joint tenancy etc

It would seem somewhat unfair for tenants to make out they are staying on at the end of the tenancy and then just want to leave

​​​​​​Any replies would be appreciated

Comment

Up to the end of the fixed term, notice (by any of them) is of no legal effect. The fixed term ends because the term is up, and its dates were always known. A statutory periodic tenancy only comes into being if any of the tenants remain in occupation after the fixed term, and then, any provision in the tenancy agreement for notice is of no legal effect, as statute regulates the notice provisions, directly.

Comment

Originally posted by jitty22 View Post
          I suppose the question is that the tenancy agreement said 2 months notice must be given ... Only 1 tenant emailed to say he will not renew and the other two were in negotiations to renew the agreement into their own names only.

It would seem somewhat unfair for tenants to make out they are staying on at the end of the tenancy and then just want to leave
          On 31st January the agreement with the notice requirement will come to an end automatically.
          So what it says is not relevant if all of the tenant's have moved out by that date.

The tenant's notice isn't valid and can't be, so if they want to leave at the end of January, they don't really have any choice - they couldn't give notice even if they wanted to - and, while it might have been nice to have had more notice of their intentions, it doesn't really change anything.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

thank you for everyones messages

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Tenant has disappeared and left all belongings
              Ekoor
              Hello all, I am new to the forum and looking for some advice or help if anyone has been in a similar situation.

My tenants paid 1/2 of November's rent and told us they were going away for Christmas. They didn't pay December's rent nor January so are two months in arrears. We have tried...
              17-01-2018, 11:06 AM
            • Reply to Tenant has disappeared and left all belongings
              Ekoor
              Well it does kind of matter because I am already out of pocket, have to find the money to pay for the rent while the court process is going through as well as the refurb of the house and only have enough money in that account to cover 3 months of rent due to having to pay self assessment recently. And...
              18-01-2018, 08:36 AM
            • Damage caused during DV
              theahardy
              Hope that this is allowed here as it’s a very tricky subject and not one that’s on the internet already.

I’ve been renting a house through an agency for just over a year now, I have never met the landlord. When I first moved in it was the middle of November and the boiler was broken....
              17-01-2018, 20:35 PM
            • Reply to Damage caused during DV
              MisterB
              I sympathise with the tenant BUT its their responsibility, I would ask why move in to a property when it was in such poor condition, no boiler,, crap in the garden etc, but I also recognise some people don't have a lot of options,

to be fair to the tenant, she does accept responsibility...
              18-01-2018, 08:04 AM
            • Contingency Fund Query
              Letting Go
              Have been letting a flat for nearly 30 years. Many years ago we owners bought the leasehold of the block. We’ve been through many managing agents over that time and have been with the present ones for several years now. The service charge has remained fairly constant for a few years, but this January...
              18-01-2018, 07:36 AM
            • Reply to Contingency Fund Query
              Letting Go
              Thanks for this. I’ll speak to the other owners and contact the agent armed with these questions.

I am definitely considering the option of selling (bearing in mind capital gains tax implications). I guess it sounds selfish, but if I do sell I’m not really going to be bothered about...
              18-01-2018, 07:54 AM
            • Whos responsible for slow draining bathroom sink and black grout? Landlord or Tenant?
              Bounce
              Hi

I was wondering if anybody could help me and tell me who could be responsible Landlord or Tenant?

One of my properties, the tenant has been in there about 2 years and normally has always called me direct for any little problem.

I then went through months where...
              Black Grout they want me to get redone...
              17-01-2018, 21:53 PM
            • Reply to Whos responsible for slow draining bathroom sink and black grout? Landlord or Tenant?
              MisterB
              the discoloured silicone might be down to lack of cleaning by the tenant. a build up over time of dirty water/soap/shower gel etc could be the cause - you should try cleaning it first/bleach etc - not too strong though

showing them how to clean properly is the best solution, but expect...
              18-01-2018, 07:51 AM
            • Reply to Contingency Fund Query
              MisterB
              why do you need roof works? I assume its a flat roof? as for the agent. if you all 'own' the freehold having bought it some years ago, then you all have a say in how the service and repair charges are arrived at.

planning for roof work 12 years in advance seems sensible, though are they...
              18-01-2018, 07:45 AM
            • service charge
              Sparkz
              I am now living in a one bed flat owned by a housing association, for the past year the communal boilers that provide hot water and heating to all flats and the sheltered housing block has been frequently faulty leaving us without hot water or heating.

So the HA have replaced the boilers...
              15-01-2018, 21:26 PM
            Working...
            X