Massive Increase after 6 years, pls advise.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Massive Increase after 6 years, pls advise.

Dear All,
    I have been renting a three-storey townhouse in Harrow, London since 2011. The landlord has not increased the rent since then. But last week he said he would ask for a 300-pound increase (from 1700 pcm) in a months time. I know i have been fortunate for having no increase at all these years. I am not being greedy or anything, but is 300 in one go not too much? Moreover, he told me over the phone that he is no longer in possession of the property as he sold it to his son. I must have been notified but not. What should I do? There is one last thing, there has been a crack in the grounfloorow exterior brick wall ( about 4 cm) and increasing year after year. probably due to subsidence. I heard that the landlord has never used estate agents when renting his propertyfor 15 years now. i am the second tenant during this period. No agency was involved in my tenancy.
    Please advise, and many thanks.

What's the market rent? £2,000pcm seems to be in the luxury end of the Harrow market.

If there is a new landlord, there are formal notice requirements before any rent is due to the new landlord.

Comment

I think you will find many LL that have not increased rents will now seek to do as the various government legislation kicks in undoubtedly increasing costs. Have a quick look on rightmove you might just find that the property is still a good deal, or you could down size to a flat.
      Any advice I give is my opinion and experience, I am as you also learning.

Comment

Thanks very much for the response!
        The going rate is not definitive here in Pinner. I see some variations, even in the same neighborhood. But it's around 1700-2000 . he wants to charge the highest, I can understand after no increase for 6 years. still my budget will be massively stretched

Comment

Tell your landlord about the exterior crack.

You don't have to agree to the increase, but your landlord may choose to evict you in that case. Up to you to think what the risk of that is. If you don't agree, then the landlord would be required to serve formal notice of proposed increase to you, which you can appeal to first-tier tribunal to decide if it's fair.
          I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

What rent did you pay back in 2011?
            Don't agree but insist on s13 Notice, then appeal to 3rd Tier Tribunal within 4 weeks.
            You have been fortunate, £300 increase on £1700 over 6 years represents >3% pa,
            Since 2011 the UK RPI has increased from 229 to 275.8 to Nov 17

Comment

But remember a good tenant is also valuable to a landlord so negotiate, you might get £100-£150 off that.
              Any advice I give is my opinion and experience, I am as you also learning.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X