Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant

Hi,

I am Landlord having a lodger in my house, as I have to support my family due to financial circumstances I have a lodger..

My Lodger is good, he pays rent in time and he is quiet and calm. Only one issue is he baths two times when he is in the house. For e.g he works 4 days in a week and 3 days holidays he baths twice on those days and when ever he is in holidays he baths twice. For Christmas time he was on holiday for 10 days, he used to bath twice.

I have actually not noticed in the first 6 months I have noticed latter when I was in the house on the same days as he was in holidays. I initially thought it was that day. But after my own observation found that he baths twice so nearly for 14 days in a month.
    So I have casually asked one day if he baths twice ( as I dont want to sound that i am observing his actions), didn't ask anything more that that. He said sometimes. Each bath he takes around 16 to 20 minutes morning and evening bath when he is in house.
    Sometimes when he does single bath he takes 18 min or 26 minutes.

The rent includes bills. As he is good tenant compared to the previous tenant we had except this issue. I couldn't question to much or I can't ask him to stop bathing twice as he may leave as he can find another house. We are not sure if any other tenant we get will be good or not or we may land up in another issue.

Also the rent we have given is £40 less to the market rent. We have non-metered water meter at the moment, but Thames water are planning to change to Metered bill. Our hot water uses Gas meter as it is combi boiler.

This is really bothering me, what do you do and what are your suggestions.
    Can a landlord really control or ask there tenants to take bath for less time. How do u manage in this situation.

Thanks
    Robert

Whats your problem? Time taken or use of the water?

Setting the rent 'below market value' was your decision.
    "I'm afraid I didn't do enough background checks apart from checking her identity on Facebook" - ANON

What I say is based on my own experience and research - Please don't take as gospel without first checking the gospel yourself.

Comment

One of the best posts I’ve ever read!

Comment

Save water, bathe with a friend!

Comment

Many people take a10 min shower each day.
          Will you be claiming for £7500 tax free allowance on your current/next Tax Return?
          What is your question?

Comment

Reading between the lines, I suspect Robert is concerned about the impact on his finances of his lodger's use of water and gas to heat it.

Roger, your problem is that even though you are trying to support your family because of financial needs, you agreed to let someone stay in your home for less than the market value and told them bills were included without knowing anything about the impact on your bills of their lifestyle.

You therefore have two options:
            Increase the rent to a point where it covers the extra you are paying.
            Ask him to pay his share of the utility bills.

I think you'd be better off increasing the rent to market value

Comment

Check with your utility company what the difference is between gas/elec usage before and after the lodger and then have a discussion with him about increasing the rent given the costs. If he baulks, find another lodger.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. Sorry I was not clear in my question, my question was tenant( male) having a long shower and also long showers twice in a day when at home nearly 15 day's twice long showers.

Giving for less rent was my own decision I agree with that. He is good tenant that was the reason i was not able to tell him anything either to do a one shower.
                Can a landlord increase tenant's after an year. Regarding increasing the rent how is this calculated.
                Just a general question if landlord is not impacted but rents increase in general do they actually increase rent for the tenants who stay longer than one year or not?

At the moment we have non-metered water, but in the future they are planning to convert, once it is converted i will tell the tenant directly that in the past we have non-metered hence didn't bother to tell but now there is increase in the bills, i will ask him to pay additional or reduce the usage of water. Now the Gas usage for the additional bath, I have calculated it comes around £15 to £20 additional a month.

Comment

Without separate metered supplies(T meter read qtly by L) suggest the proposal would fail
                  So calc % LL usage vs LL&T usage over eqjuiv time period.
                  Serve s13 to increase current rent by same % if below av market rent.

Comment

you could remove all baths and showers from the property and install an outside tap .....

Comment

Robert456 you seem to be agonising over something very simple. Just tell the tenant that as your costs have increased more than you foresaw you will reluctantly have to increase his rent by £x. I would suggest you gradually bring it up to the market rent. If you think having reduced rent will make the tenant more grateful and more compliant you are mistaken. Read other posts on the subject.

Comment

Thanks all for the kind replies.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                        X