Private Landlord - Advice on Verification/Deposit Protection

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Private Landlord - Advice on Verification/Deposit Protection

I would be most grateful to receive advice/recommendations on the following matters in the capacity of a private landlord, which in your opinion are today’s(2018) best solutions for:
    • Tenant Verification – Tenant Verify etc…
    • Deposit Protection – DPS etc….
    Personally, I have not used the services of a tenant verification company in my capacity of a private landlord for 15yrs, the one deposit protection company which I have utilised, I have been not been impressed with the quality of their services
    Thank you

Originally posted by josh123 View Post
    I have been not been impressed with the quality of their services
    why might that be?

Comment

Have to admit, I used one of those companies that Verify Tenants (wink wink) and also wasn’t impressed.
      They chose to seek an alternate work reference for a prospective tenant (NOT the one listed on the form - someone else in the company) and the person they got the reference from was actually the tenants friend who lied about the tenants income and job status.
      I found this out because it was my first time doing this and decided to do all the checks myself as well to see if the report back would correlate with my references. It didn’t. The company that Verifys Tenants had lied on the work reference part and only came clean when I tackled them about it, so I wasn’t impressed.

With regards to depoaits, I use DPS (Not the insured scheme). Not had an issue so far.

Comment

Stupidly I recently let an agent fob me off with using a minor tenant ref company which turned out to be a complete waste of time - they failed to do the job. The agents were actually promising to use Endsleigh (the insurer) but then told me they had gone out of the tenant referencing business (may be a lie). I ended up doing my own checks.

DPS - I am currently making good use of the Insured Scheme after 2 nasty claims that got me no where in the custodial DPS system. I would love to meet some of the lefties that work there.

However, on 18th December (just as I was leaving the UK for sunnier climes) a letter from the DPS arrived asking for me to verify my ID givng a list of docs usable. I put it to one side. By the 2nd of Jan another threatening letter had arrived demanding the ID or my deposits status may be at risk. They would not accept copies unless verified by the usual suspects that charge ££s and would not take anything from the internet by way of bills. Couldn't find my council tax document so have ended up sending an HMRC letter and my driving licence. That should be enough to clone me I suspect. I certainly did not like their attitude and on telephoning them got a Polish or similar person whose spoken English was not suited to the technicalities of the job. Still waiting for the docs to be returned. A thumbs down from me.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

I don't take deposits I prefer to charge above the 'going rate' ......

I also rely heavily on actually visiting the potential tenants at their current abode with very little notice, usually for the purposes of filling in required paperwork ...... it reveals a lot of things not covered on any forms or verification by distance/correspondence/tel calls etc

Comment

Originally posted by Interlaken View Post
            ended up sending an HMRC letter and my driving licence.

Still waiting for the docs to be returned.
            you sent your actual driving license?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X