Inventory check out done by the estate agency

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Inventory check out done by the estate agency

    Hi all.

    I have a house where the estate agency was fully managing the house for me when the tenants moved in. The estate agency did the inventory and signed on my behalf.
    The tenants are now moving out and I asked to see the inventory. It has minimum detail, the top floor of the house has no photos and there are items that the inventory does not have in there. It was obvious that it was poorly done.
    The estate agency stated that they can do the inventory check out or that I can do it.
    Does an inventory check in/out clerk have to have a qualification?
    Can I claim money back from the estate agency for the fact that the inventory was so poorly done? I can see myself having issues with items missing or being wrong in the house after move out.

    Thanks all.

    Problem with having a quality, thorough Checkout done now though is there is nothing to compare it to, so good luck in proving that the property wasn’t already in that state.
    As for can you claim; I’m not sure. Again, the owness will be on you to prove things were in a stated condition before hand, which you probably don’t have.

    Sack your estate agent and learn from this lesson.


      You are resp for the Inv via YOUR agent. You may have a claim if you can show Agent was negligent, but you were.

      onus is on you.


        And once you've sacked the Agent, report them to whichever redress scheme their affiliated


          Thanks all. The inventory check out has a fee of £60 that will be deducted from the deposit. Is it better for me to do the check out or the estate agency? If I do it, do I keep the £60? thank you


            As a clerk I would do a check out / general condition report based on what information you have. If you think the lack of proper inventory will cause you issues (and I think it could) then it might be worth finding a 3rd part to do it for you, the 2 main associations are the AIIC and ARLA. They both have different requirements for their clerks, there are no national requirements. I don't think it would make much difference, just find one that is close that can do this for you!



            Then sack the agent and report them to the relevant redress scheme. An incomplete inventory is wilful stupidity on their part!

            Good luck


              Stef Cooke,

              Thanks that is very useful!

              When the estate agency does the inventory, do they have to be a member of AIIC or ARLA?
              Also when you have things missing or needing more cleaning, how do you judge the price that will be deducted from the deposit?

              Many thanks


                Originally posted by RedHitman View Post
                learn from this lesson.
                yes... learn what DPT57 says, that as LL you are responsible and that you should have requested a copy of the inventory immediately after it was done... and checked that whoever the agent appointed to do it was compliant. Agent should also be giving you advice on your last question above and, if they're good, it will be correct. But you won't know that until you know the correct answers... so you can see where the responsibility ultimately lies here.

                Good luck!


                  Originally posted by kesm View Post

                  When the estate agency does the inventory, do they have to be a member of AIIC or ARLA?
                  Also when you have things missing or needing more cleaning, how do you judge the price that will be deducted from the deposit?

                  Many thanks
                  Ideally they should be with ARLA... the AIIC is for clerks who are not agents or their direct employees. But membership is not compulsory.

                  Costs are always worked out the same way, based partly on how many years of use you have lost of the item. Any good agent will be able to talk you through this, very, very easily and clearly. It is an every day occurrence for them, they should have no problem talking you through it!

                  Cleaning is at cost... I always advise using a professional cleaner, that way you have a very specific cost, and you can call them back if it isn't done well enough. But the whole cost may not be down to the tenant... it is a case of being seen to be reasonable! Again a good agent will be able to talk you through the pitfalls of cleaning costs!

                  Now you know just how much you weren't aware of, I would suggest that you take up some the landlord training. make yourself your own expert!


                  Latest Activity


                  • S21 rent arrears
                    I issued my tenant with a section 21 notice which finishes on 23rd November 2018 - this was issued due to rent arrears.

                    I received a text yesterday from my tenant to say he has received keys for another property and would have moved all of his belongings out on Thursday...
                    23-10-2018, 10:08 AM
                  • Reply to S21 rent arrears
                    Unless and until the High Court+ hear a case on this, one can only speculate on the court's interpretation.

                    Purely for argument's sake though, leaving aside actual technical legal arguments, if the tenant is leaving because you served them a section 21, how does that not fall squarely within...
                    23-10-2018, 23:28 PM
                  • Deposit protection - Personal properties and limited company property

                    So I have 4 properties in my own name and have recently setup a company and bought a company through the limited company.

                    I have an account with the DPS for my 4 personal properties, my question is can I just protect the deposit from the tenant in this account or does...
                    23-10-2018, 22:47 PM
                  • AST and periodic tenancy
                    Hi all,

                    This is my first post and my first BTL experience.

                    I bought a new built flat from a developer in England last year. The Lease Agreement stipulated that I need the freeholder’s consent to let it. The request was granted without any mention of extra fees. I found a...
                    22-10-2018, 21:51 PM
                  • Reply to AST and periodic tenancy
                    They might, but in the case of council tax liability I believe it has been determined that it is the length contracted not the length that ultimately occurs that is relevant, so the same could be argued here....
                    23-10-2018, 22:39 PM
                  • Reply to S21 rent arrears
                    S21C would not appear to apply here as the tenancy was not brought to an end as a result of a S21 notice, as the proposed end date is before the expiry of the S21 notice.
                    23-10-2018, 22:22 PM
                  • Tenancy start date different from the one in contract.
                    Hi everyone,
                    I need some advice with the following issue.

                    I have signed the tenancy contract on the 13th of this month, so in theory the contract is legally binding from the 13th. For personal reasons I have not sent the deposit on that day but 2 days later(15th). I got my keys and...
                    23-10-2018, 11:52 AM
                  • Reply to Tenancy start date different from the one in contract.
                    That you chose to use a slow transfer mechanism is your decision, your problem.

                    There are so many fast transfer ways now, most of my payments go in/out within an hour or so.

                    Next time, use a quicker transfer.
                    23-10-2018, 16:26 PM
                  • Break clause issuing Section 8
                    I have a break clause in a tenancy, that after 1 year, either party can activate a 3 month get out. so if tenant wants out after a year he can give notice and leave in 3 months or likewise me ask him to leave in 3 months. NOw I fear that this clown I have will try and stay longer and will do anything...
                    23-10-2018, 15:20 PM
                  • Reply to Break clause issuing Section 8
                    TL;DR: You need to serve a break notice to terminate the fixed term early, as well as a valid section 8 or section 21 notice expirying on or after the expiry of the break notice which you can then rely on to apply for possession at the court if necessary.


                    Break notice:...
                    23-10-2018, 16:07 PM