Subletting advice required

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Thanks DPT.

    She is saying that she has now put my name on the council tax bill, so I am equally liable for the backdated council tax.

    Is this the case? Or she still be the liable tenant? My name can't have been on the bill she was claiming single person discount.

    I am just subletting, so even if she has now put my name on it now (although backdated since last February), am I liable?


      Contact the council direct yourself and tell them that you are subletting as a lodger from her so they don't try and bill you.
      I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.



        You need to contact the local authority to clarify - the council may have simply recorded you as being resident for the purposes of correct ing the charge rather than adding you as a liable person. If they had have you as a liable person then you need to advise them that under S6 of the LGFA92 you have no liability for the council tax charge as you are only a lodger to a resident landlord.
        Previously served 10 years as a council tax advisor with a local authority but now self-employed with my own council tax consultancy.

        If your local authority disagrees with any aspects of your council tax claim, as they are free to do so, a Valuation Tribunal appeal may be required.


        Latest Activity