We have been served 2 mths notice...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have been served 2 mths notice...

as our landlord wants to move his pregnant girlfriend into our apartment. We have only been here 9 months and are devastated for a number of reasons, including our child being settled in nursery and down to go to the local school etc.

We have always gone with private landlords, as when both me and my partner were at uni along with our degrees we collected crap credit ratings.
    What I would really like to know is, is the credit search done by agencies like the one done for a credit card? We have landlord references/ work references, and in our current apartment had a 'credit worthiness' check, and passed that, and are good tennants, but would our mistakes of yesteryear ruin us from having a chance of going through a letting agent?

Your help would be most appreciated as would like to know if we have a chance or not of going through an agent.

There's only one way to know - give it a go! If you have good references from your current (and any previous) landlord then that will count for A LOT. If your current landlord checked you out and accepted you, there's a good chance a letting agent acting for other private landlords will check you out and recommend that their clients, who are private landlords too, accept you.

Comment

You could also perform a credit check on yourself, that way should know the full answer within 24hrs.

Comment

Agents will also charge you for doing credit checks, so if you can find smaller landlords who may not do checks or may charge less, you may be better off.

Experian often have a free 3 month trial so you can check your own credit worthiness online for free.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• ‘Swapping’ a tenancy?
          by KittleSkittle
          Hello,

Just wanting to check something. If a long standing tenant on a periodic tenancy agreed to move to a different property to suit the landlord, would a completely new six month AST with all appropriate documentation need to be set up? And would the deposit for the existing property...
          01-03-2021, 16:44 PM
        • Reply to Whos responsible for slow draining bathroom sink and black grout? Landlord or Tenant?
          by Codger
          I long ago learnt to trust in rubber gloves and have unblocked plugholes drains gullys and sewers. Where theres muck theres brass as they say. In the above case i would leave a plunger behind.
          most tenants take the hint if you turn up in a collar and tie to unblock a plughole!
          ​​​​​​...
          01-03-2021, 16:36 PM
        • Whos responsible for slow draining bathroom sink and black grout? Landlord or Tenant?
          by Bounce
          Hi

I was wondering if anybody could help me and tell me who could be responsible Landlord or Tenant?

One of my properties, the tenant has been in there about 2 years and normally has always called me direct for any little problem.

I then went through months where...
          17-01-2018, 21:53 PM
        • Reply to Legal question
          by KTC
          I'm afraid it may be worth speaking to a wills and probate solicitor for advice.
          01-03-2021, 16:09 PM
        • Legal question
          by mind the gap
          Hi all, hope you're keeping safe.

Not sure which forum to put this in - happy for Moderator to move if appropriate.

Scenario is as follows. In 2018, elderly widower changes the will he made jointly with wife in 1980s. He does it all properly, using a solicitor and include...
          01-03-2021, 13:01 PM
        • Reply to Notice Period to Tenants
          by annam222
          Yes I really do not want to serve anything formal. I will let them know in a few months that I am considering selling the flat in approx May next year. If I can then switch to periodic month by month from August this year then hopefully that means I can avoid any long notice period. But I won't bring...
          01-03-2021, 16:00 PM
        • Notice Period to Tenants
          by annam222
          Hi all,
          I rent out my flat using an estate agents let & collect service. It is rented out using an assured shorthold tenancy agreement of 12 months (no break clause). The 12 months ends in August this year. I have just been told by the estate agents that "due to Covid the law has changed...
          01-03-2021, 14:54 PM
        • Reply to Notice Period to Tenants
          by jpkeates
          The best thing to do is to talk to the tenants and let them know about the possibility of selling the property.
          That gives them plenty of time to plan their move and find somewhere else to live.

If you go straight to a formal notice it can do a lot of damage to the relationship....
          01-03-2021, 15:51 PM
        • Reply to Another way to suffer from Covid
          by Hudson01
          You say he can afford the rent... how do you know that ? Does he work ? The idea of claiming under a '' false statement '' will be very difficult to prove, i would seek the assistance of a professional agency who can check all your paperwork and get this parasite out.
          01-03-2021, 15:45 PM
        • Another way to suffer from Covid
          by P'd off of Romford
          Hi Guys

Yes, sorry, this is another tale of woe, for which I apologise in advance....

FirstIy, I have Multiple Sclerosis, and as a result, can no longer work in my professional field.

For this reason, I have recently rented out my former home, as a means of a small...
          01-03-2021, 11:27 AM
        Working...
        X