Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant refusing to sign gas cert

Hello again all,

I had to go to my BTL property with an electrician to replace light holder in the bathroom. At the same time I carried out a gas safety check. However, the tenant has refused to sign for it even though I have explained that it's a legal requirement.

The current gas cert expires on the 5th of of January. however, i have a pending section 21 which expires end of January. I'm worried as I'm going to have to submit papers to court for posession when section 21 expires. where do I stand?

I believe you need to have a gas cert in force when the s21 is issued. That should be the relevant one for court.

FTA... I wonder if your tenant has been reading my Take a Break thread?

Comment

There is not any requirement from the tenant to sign the cert. What does this achieve?

The only legal requirement is that you are in posession of a valid cert.

Comment

The new certificate is irrelevant in terms of the already given s21.

You need to be able to evidence that you've given a copy. The tenant doesn't have to sign for it.
        I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

Comment

I had to go to my BTL property with an electrician........At the same time I carried out a gas safety check. However, the tenant has refused to sign for it...
          Are you saying that you carried out the check yourself?
          (You only mention yourself and an electrician).

I do understand from a previous post that you say you are are a 'gas engineer'.
          I assume that you are Gas Safe registered?

But I can also understand that your tenant might think you were trying it on, even if you showed him your 'ticket'.

TBH I'm also not sure how a court would look at a landlord doing the GSC for his own rental properties, (Gas Safe registered or not).
          It would seem to give the possibility of an obvious conflict of interest.

I think getting a 3rd party to do your GSCs would be a better idea

Comment

Originally posted by nukecad View Post

I think getting a 3rd party to do your GSCs would be a better idea
            agree with that... might be regarded as a conflict of interest if relied on in court.

the GSC has a space for a signature against "Signed on behalf of the Landlord/Home Owner" and I assume that is what your tenant is refusing to sign. But does the tenant need to sign it. Surely the GSC is valid without that signature which seems to be to be optional if, like me, the LL isn't actually present or an agent is managing on your behalf.

Comment

I'm gas safe registered and have been for many years.

i have called both Gas Safe Register and HSE who have both said that it's absolutely fine as long as I've done the checks.

As Tatemono states, signature isn't required by tenant to make the cert valid.

thank you all for your replies, much appreciated as always.

Comment

Originally posted by bassmonster View Post
                i have called both Gas Safe Register and HSE who have both said that it's absolutely fine as long as I've done the checks.
                On the one hand, the proof that you've done the checks is the CP12. On the other hand, as it's your property, there's clearly a vested interest in your appliances passing the checks. If I was a solicitor representing your tenant in a dispute, I'd make sure the judge heard that loud and clear. At that point, it's not just your reputation as a landlord that's at stake, it's your entire career.

If you're registered, surely you know other engineers who could do checks at your property in exchange for one of their jobs. Alternatively, you might want to get that info from the GSR and HSE in writing.

Comment

from what I understand - any work undertaken by a gas safe engineer is liable to be 'checked' by the third party (governing body) whenever they choose, so not completing the check properly could lose the engineer their 'registration;. when the check is done an electric printout is normally issued by the machine used for testing inc flue read outs, evidence enough for the landlord to prove a safe installation in my view.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Joint tenancy - end fixed term
                    Nottinverno
                    Hello,

need some advice, please, I'm getting mad at this.

I have a joint tenancy, renting a flat through an agency with other 2 people, ending end January.
                    I have decided to move out and I gave my notice (to both the agency and my flatmates) last end November, however...
                    09-01-2018, 14:29 PM
                  • Reply to Joint tenancy - end fixed term
                    mariner
                    How did you give Notice on 1 Jan 18?
                    You can leave at any time but your T will not end until 31 Feb 18 IMO.
                    (1 Jan -31 Jan does not give requisite min of 1 rental period). LL may be more tolerant on dates.
                    20-01-2018, 01:26 AM
                  • Whos responsible for slow draining bathroom sink and black grout? Landlord or Tenant?
                    Bounce
                    Hi

I was wondering if anybody could help me and tell me who could be responsible Landlord or Tenant?

One of my properties, the tenant has been in there about 2 years and normally has always called me direct for any little problem.

I then went through months where...
                    Black Grout they want me to get redone...
                    17-01-2018, 21:53 PM
                  • Reply to Whos responsible for slow draining bathroom sink and black grout? Landlord or Tenant?
                    Bounce
                    In regards to this, I attended the property today with a plumber, as he tenants claimed they had tried using some sink unblocker and plunger etc...

When we were shown the sink she now decides to tell us that since using the sink unblocker it doesn't seem to bad (she could have told me this...
                    19-01-2018, 23:13 PM
                    KTC
                    Ask the solicitor for their interpretation of section 5(5)(b) of the Housing Act 1988 regarding giving a notice to quit on the first day of the statutory periodic tenancy.
                    19-01-2018, 22:54 PM
                    Nottinverno
                    Oh nono, I have to leave at the end of Feb. I have already moved forward my move and luckily the new landlord is flexible, but I can't stay other 2 months in my current place.
                    It really seems that as soon as the periodic roll starts I can serve 1 month notice, so by end Feb I should be able to...
                    19-01-2018, 22:48 PM
                  • Payment Break
                    OlliesDad
                    I have a great long-term tenant who, along with her husband and daughter has been with me for nearly 5 years. Unfortunately the husband has done the dirty and left leaving her with nothing but debts. Her finances are in a mess and she has said she may need to move in with family whilst she sorts herself...
                    18-01-2018, 21:27 PM
                  • Reply to Payment Break
                    royw
                    You have a good tenant and if it were me I'd be looking for ways to keep her rather than evict her. Might be worth having a chat and find out how much she can afford now and in the long-term. If she can afford it on her own once the debts are cleared possibly offer her a reduced rent for a year equivalent...
                    19-01-2018, 22:26 PM
                  • Tenants not vacated at check-out
                    tatemono
                    Had a lovely young couple with a baby in our property for about 8 months, they gave notice to leave as he'd moved out after they split up and she couldn't afford rent. Sad situation for them. Property has been on market since.

Anyway, yesterday our very competent and well-trusted long-standing...
                    09-01-2018, 08:58 AM
                  • Reply to Tenants not vacated at check-out
                    KTC
                    If it were a notice to quit given during a periodic tenancy, as opposed to an agreement with the landlord during the fixed term, then tenancy has ended. Validity of a notice to quit does not depend on whether the tenant follow up and acting in accordance to it. A notice to quit is not a notice of intention....
                    19-01-2018, 22:20 PM
                  Working...
                  X