Moving back into old rental

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving back into old rental

Is it possible to move back into a old rental property if you had had previously handed in the correct notice?

Two months ago almost, I handed in my notice to my landlord, and signed up for 6 month AST on a new tenancy. As I am not happy there, and as my previous property that i rented is still empty, would a landlord look favourably on me, given that I had a tenancy with him for over a year and a half, and always paid rent on time? One thing to note is that I have still not received my deposit back from my previous property. Is it possible for the landlord to hold onto that, so that I can move back to his old place?

Anything's possible. Did you dispute deposit deductions? That would exclude you in my book.

Comment

JK0, not at all. I was told I would hear from the landlord as soon as inspections were furthered. And we left it at a happy note. I just don't seem to have heard anything.

Comment

Of course you are still liable for the new six month tenancy.

Your old landlord is going to want know what you intend to do about that.

Comment

nukecad, pay for both?

Comment

If ex LL is prepared to offer you a new 6 month AST - then Yes,
            but,I would not.

Comment

Originally posted by travis_bickle76 View Post
              nukecad, pay for both?
              Fine, as long as you can afford that, and a credit check confirms that you can afford it, and the ex-LL isn't worried that you can afford it.
              (There again he might not care as long as he gets his money).

Comment

if the property is still empty most landlords would be keen to let it, so maybe. They would be more likely to say yes if you offered to contract for a longer period. I would be concerned about the length of time for which you are paying double rent. You certainly wouldnt be the preferred tenant if the landlord has a choice.

Comment

as the LL of the second property, if you were going to move out and go back to your old place, I'd want to be paid off for all the rent owing for the fixed term and have you sign a deed of surrender. I wouldn't want you to be renting my place and another at the same time. It would screw with my insurance and the council tax liability at the very least.

Comment

Tatemono, the property I want to move back into is a HMO. The place I currently occupy is a flat to myself, council tax and all. End of the year, I will have three months equivalent of rent left to pay before the tenancy ends. Absolutely hate it here. Any advice on what I can do/say before asking the previous landlord to take me back?
                    ​​​

Comment

Originally posted by travis_bickle76 View Post
                      Any advice on what I can do/say before asking the previous landlord to take me back?
                      ​​​
                      Help, I hate living on my own, I liked living in your HMO, can I come back please?

Comment

as I said, you need to negotiate a deed of surrender with your current landlord. How your LL responds may determine your options...

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Joint tenancy - end fixed term
                          Nottinverno
                          Hello,

need some advice, please, I'm getting mad at this.

I have a joint tenancy, renting a flat through an agency with other 2 people, ending end January.
                          I have decided to move out and I gave my notice (to both the agency and my flatmates) last end November, however...
                          09-01-2018, 14:29 PM
                        • Reply to Joint tenancy - end fixed term
                          mariner
                          How did you give Notice on 1 Jan 18?
                          You can leave at any time but your T will not end until 31 Feb 18 IMO.
                          (1 Jan -31 Jan does not give requisite min of 1 rental period). LL may be more tolerant on dates.
                          20-01-2018, 01:26 AM
                        • Whos responsible for slow draining bathroom sink and black grout? Landlord or Tenant?
                          Bounce
                          Hi

I was wondering if anybody could help me and tell me who could be responsible Landlord or Tenant?

One of my properties, the tenant has been in there about 2 years and normally has always called me direct for any little problem.

I then went through months where...
                          Black Grout they want me to get redone...
                          17-01-2018, 21:53 PM
                        • Reply to Whos responsible for slow draining bathroom sink and black grout? Landlord or Tenant?
                          Bounce
                          In regards to this, I attended the property today with a plumber, as he tenants claimed they had tried using some sink unblocker and plunger etc...

When we were shown the sink she now decides to tell us that since using the sink unblocker it doesn't seem to bad (she could have told me this...
                          19-01-2018, 23:13 PM
                          KTC
                          Ask the solicitor for their interpretation of section 5(5)(b) of the Housing Act 1988 regarding giving a notice to quit on the first day of the statutory periodic tenancy.
                          19-01-2018, 22:54 PM
                          Nottinverno
                          Oh nono, I have to leave at the end of Feb. I have already moved forward my move and luckily the new landlord is flexible, but I can't stay other 2 months in my current place.
                          It really seems that as soon as the periodic roll starts I can serve 1 month notice, so by end Feb I should be able to...
                          19-01-2018, 22:48 PM
                        • Payment Break
                          OlliesDad
                          I have a great long-term tenant who, along with her husband and daughter has been with me for nearly 5 years. Unfortunately the husband has done the dirty and left leaving her with nothing but debts. Her finances are in a mess and she has said she may need to move in with family whilst she sorts herself...
                          18-01-2018, 21:27 PM
                        • Reply to Payment Break
                          royw
                          You have a good tenant and if it were me I'd be looking for ways to keep her rather than evict her. Might be worth having a chat and find out how much she can afford now and in the long-term. If she can afford it on her own once the debts are cleared possibly offer her a reduced rent for a year equivalent...
                          19-01-2018, 22:26 PM
                        • Tenants not vacated at check-out
                          tatemono
                          Had a lovely young couple with a baby in our property for about 8 months, they gave notice to leave as he'd moved out after they split up and she couldn't afford rent. Sad situation for them. Property has been on market since.

Anyway, yesterday our very competent and well-trusted long-standing...
                          09-01-2018, 08:58 AM
                        • Reply to Tenants not vacated at check-out
                          KTC
                          If it were a notice to quit given during a periodic tenancy, as opposed to an agreement with the landlord during the fixed term, then tenancy has ended. Validity of a notice to quit does not depend on whether the tenant follow up and acting in accordance to it. A notice to quit is not a notice of intention....
                          19-01-2018, 22:20 PM
                        Working...
                        X