Positive Ventilation System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Positive Ventilation System

Hi, I’ve been letting a 3 bed detached property (1930s approx.) to a family (2 adults, one child) for several years. Each year as soon as the nights start drawing in the tenants complain about black spot mould appearing on the bathroom, landing and bedroom ceilings. I lived in the property for 8 years without any damp related issues. Over the last 12 months I’ve has a couple of independent damp surveys carried out and basically it said the condensation was caused by the tenants lifestyle, to which they dispute.

The tenants assure me they ventilate the property open the windows when showering etc, and don’t dry washing in the property etc. To try and overcome this issue trickle vents have been fitted to the windows, the loft insulated, and a new bathroom extractor fan installed. I've paid for black mold to be removed and ceilings repainted with anti mold paint over the years. This was last carried out in July this year and the tenants informed me towards the end of September that the black spot mold had returned.

The tenants have just moved out and have left black mold on the upstairs ceilings. According to the letting agency the tenant did clean this off before he left as he feels it is not his problem.

As I will be reletting once the property is back up to scratch I'm thinking of getting a Nuaire Positive input ventilation machine installed before new tenants arrive. Has anyone used these and are they worth installing to help with this kind of situation, and if so which model would you recommend as some models contain heating elements. What I'm trying to avoid is redecorating and then having the same problems in particular with the upstairs rooms on the outside walls.

Sorry another question as the agent still has the tenants deposit am I within my right to ask the agent to use the deposit to put right the decor to how it was when first let.

Thanks,

Originally posted by backinfive View Post
    Sorry another question as the agent still has the tenants deposit am I within my right to ask the agent to use the deposit to put right the decor to how it was when first let.
    Yes, but the tenant is likely to dispute the deduction proposed.

The independent surveys that confirm it was a lifestyle issue will be useful.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
    X