council tax demand and tennants have not given notice to leave

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

council tax demand and tennants have not given notice to leave

All documents done correctly, in England, I have served a section 8 and section 21notices due to rent arrears, the section 21 expires on the 2nd January, tenants moved out I belive at the beginning of Dec, I have had no contact from them since Oct. They have not returned the keys or any notice to say they have moved. I have now received a council tax demand for the property from the 15/11/17. How do I defend this ? any advice or experience would be a help. I know the council will say they are not allowed a charge on two properties for the same person.

You can have more than one CT bill . Tell the council that as far as you know the tenants are still in the property as they have neither given notice nor returned the keys and that their tenancy is still running even though they are under S8 and S21. Show them the tenancy agreement.

I'd also suggest this might be a ruse for the tenants to avoid paying bills.

The gas elec and water won't be in your name either.
    Last edited by Berlingogirl; 16-12-2017, 17:38 PM. Reason: Edit: show surprise at the situation when you speak to the council.

Comment

From what I can remember without double checking, if (any) fixed term is over and the tenancy is on SPT, and the tenant can show they were no longer in residence from a certain date, then you're probably liable for the CT.
      I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

Comment

If T has failed to legally end his T with you, Council should pursue T for C Tax owing on your property and their current property.

Comment

The tenant is liable for the council tax charge up until they cease being resident in the property (that being the council tax definition, so when it ceases to be their 'sole or main residence'). Once they cease being regarded as resident for council tax purposes it depends on the tenancy agreement as to whether they remain liable for the council tax charge or not on the unoccupied property for which they hold a tenancy (as confirmed in 'leeds city council v broadley' , google it for specifics ) - in basic terms if they are still within the fixed term then they remain liable, if they are outside of the fixed term it depends on the specific circumstances.
          Previously served 10 years as a council tax advisor with a local authority but now self-employed with my own council tax consultancy.

If your local authority disagrees with any aspects of your council tax claim, as they are free to do so, a Valuation Tribunal appeal may be required.

Comment

Yes thank you ss02d6252, I have found the Leeds v broadly case, there is a few reports on it, and if I have interpreted it correctly, going from a AST automatically on to a periodic tenancy is classed as the same contract . there for the tenant is responsible. Don't expect much luck out of the council but will keep the site posted.

Comment

If you have a contractual periodic tenancy, yes. If it was a fixed term only, and is now a stuatory periodic tenancy, not so much.
              I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

Comment

AST automatically on to a periodic tenancy is classed as the same contract .
                If it's currently defaulted in to a statutory periodic then that is a tenancy on a monthly basis and doesn't meet the 6 month or longer requirement. That would mean the tenant was liable only when resident. If however the contract continued under a contractual term in the original tenancy then it's regarded as one continuous tenancy and the tenant would be liable, even if not resident.
                Previously served 10 years as a council tax advisor with a local authority but now self-employed with my own council tax consultancy.

If your local authority disagrees with any aspects of your council tax claim, as they are free to do so, a Valuation Tribunal appeal may be required.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• S21 rent arrears
                  Colourful30
                  Hi
                  I issued my tenant with a section 21 notice which finishes on 23rd November 2018 - this was issued due to rent arrears.

I received a text yesterday from my tenant to say he has received keys for another property and would have moved all of his belongings out on Thursday...
                  23-10-2018, 10:08 AM
                • Reply to S21 rent arrears
                  KTC
                  Unless and until the High Court+ hear a case on this, one can only speculate on the court's interpretation.

Purely for argument's sake though, leaving aside actual technical legal arguments, if the tenant is leaving because you served them a section 21, how does that not fall squarely within...
                  23-10-2018, 23:28 PM
                • Deposit protection - Personal properties and limited company property
                  catdog1121
                  Hi,

So I have 4 properties in my own name and have recently setup a company and bought a company through the limited company.

I have an account with the DPS for my 4 personal properties, my question is can I just protect the deposit from the tenant in this account or does...
                  23-10-2018, 22:47 PM
                • AST and periodic tenancy
                  skay2
                  Hi all,

This is my first post and my first BTL experience.

I bought a new built flat from a developer in England last year. The Lease Agreement stipulated that I need the freeholderā€™s consent to let it. The request was granted without any mention of extra fees. I found a...
                  22-10-2018, 21:51 PM
                • Reply to AST and periodic tenancy
                  MdeB
                  They might, but in the case of council tax liability I believe it has been determined that it is the length contracted not the length that ultimately occurs that is relevant, so the same could be argued here....
                  23-10-2018, 22:39 PM
                • Reply to S21 rent arrears
                  MdeB
                  S21C would not appear to apply here as the tenancy was not brought to an end as a result of a S21 notice, as the proposed end date is before the expiry of the S21 notice.
                  23-10-2018, 22:22 PM
                • Tenancy start date different from the one in contract.
                  downloaderd517
                  Hi everyone,
                  I need some advice with the following issue.

I have signed the tenancy contract on the 13th of this month, so in theory the contract is legally binding from the 13th. For personal reasons I have not sent the deposit on that day but 2 days later(15th). I got my keys and...
                  23-10-2018, 11:52 AM
                • Reply to Tenancy start date different from the one in contract.
                  theartfullodger
                  That you chose to use a slow transfer mechanism is your decision, your problem.

There are so many fast transfer ways now, most of my payments go in/out within an hour or so.

Next time, use a quicker transfer.
                  23-10-2018, 16:26 PM
                • Break clause issuing Section 8
                  gummage
                  I have a break clause in a tenancy, that after 1 year, either party can activate a 3 month get out. so if tenant wants out after a year he can give notice and leave in 3 months or likewise me ask him to leave in 3 months. NOw I fear that this clown I have will try and stay longer and will do anything...
                  23-10-2018, 15:20 PM
                • Reply to Break clause issuing Section 8
                  KTC
                  TL;DR: You need to serve a break notice to terminate the fixed term early, as well as a valid section 8 or section 21 notice expirying on or after the expiry of the break notice which you can then rely on to apply for possession at the court if necessary.

----

Break notice:...
                  23-10-2018, 16:07 PM
                Working...
                X