Tenancy deposit help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenancy deposit help.

Hello. I am a Landlord, and have a small number of properties, one of them is currently rented out and the agreement is due to expire soon. The deposit isn’t protected, because the agreement was made before the 6th April 2007. What I want to know is the following:

The tenant is quite a difficult person to contact. What if he agrees to renew verbally, but then it takes, say for example three weeks for him to come and to sign the agreement? Do I have to protect the deposit regardless? Or does the deposit have to be protected when he actually signs, regardless of how long it takes?

I have read on a few other sites that the tenant has to be informed that his/her deposit is being protected, the providers name etc. Can this be done verbally, or does it have to written, or a signed form that both parties have to sign? Is it a MUST that this ‘information’ is given to the tenant within 14 days of protecting the deposit, or can it be given after?

If the current tenancy agreement expires, and the tenant is still occupying the property, does the deposit have to be protected?

Are there any alternatives? Like an insurance scheme that would cover me if the tenants caused damage to the property?

Apologies in advance if any regulars here have had to answer similar questions again and again, and all help is much appreciated!

If existing letting pre-dated the DPS rules, and if no new letting is contractually granted but T holds-over, the deposit for this statutorily-continued tenancy does NOT need protecting.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by yaflaminmongrels View Post
      The tenant is quite a difficult person to contact. What if he agrees to renew verbally, but then it takes, say for example three weeks for him to come and to sign the agreement? Do I have to protect the deposit regardless? Or does the deposit have to be protected when he actually signs, regardless of how long it takes?
      You only need to protect it if a new agreement is created. A new agreement is not created until T has signed. You have 14 days from then.

I have read on a few other sites that the tenant has to be informed that his/her deposit is being protected, the providers name etc. Can this be done verbally, or does it have to written, or a signed form that both parties have to sign? Is it a MUST that this ‘information’ is given to the tenant within 14 days of protecting the deposit, or can it be given after?
      Try the Housing Act 2004, S213(5) & (6) (http://www.opsi.gov.uk/Acts/acts2004...pt6-ch4-l1g213)

The information needs to be given in writing, you need to get T to sign to say he's received it, and it MUST be done within 14 day of the new contract being signed (not 14 days of when you protect the deposit).

If the current tenancy agreement expires, and the tenant is still occupying the property, does the deposit have to be protected?
      No. The tenancy is then periodic.

Are there any alternatives?
      Yes: http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...ad.php?p=64104

Like an insurance scheme that would cover me if the tenants caused damage to the property?
      Yes: e.g. www.maras.co.uk/

Peter

Comment

Hello, and thanks for your reply!

What if, say for example a tenancy expires on 1st April, but the tenant comes to see me to sign the agreement on the 14th May, does the agreement have to begin from 14th May or when the original expired?

I just read the link, (thanks for that) well a quick browse really, it doesn’t say on there that this information has to be signed? Unless I have missed it?
        What if the tenant doesn’t sign within 14 days of signing the contract, for whatever reason? But he/she is made fully aware (verbally) about where the deposit is going?

Comment

Just to simply things a little: If you decide to renew your tenancy agreement by issuing your tenant with a new one, then his deposit must be protected within two weeks of the new agreement coming into force. If however you do nothing, his old agreement becomes a 'statutory periodic' one - the terms and conditions remain the same, he can leave if he gives you a month's notice and you can get him out unconditionally provided, with certain restrictions, you give him over two months notice. You can also increase the rent and the deposit does not need protection.

The choice is yours!

P.P.
          Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

Thanks for your reply P.P! I would prefer a fixed contract, for peace of mind.

A side question: Would it not of been better for government to make it the law that an indepedent inventory clerk has to create an inventory, then check the inventory on site with the tenant and landlord, then do the same when the tenant moves out, and try to improve the courts a little?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Legal question
              by KTC
              I'm afraid it may be worth speaking to a wills and probate solicitor for advice.
              01-03-2021, 16:09 PM
            • Legal question
              by mind the gap
              Hi all, hope you're keeping safe.

Not sure which forum to put this in - happy for Moderator to move if appropriate.

Scenario is as follows. In 2018, elderly widower changes the will he made jointly with wife in 1980s. He does it all properly, using a solicitor and include...
              01-03-2021, 13:01 PM
            • Reply to Notice Period to Tenants
              by annam222
              Yes I really do not want to serve anything formal. I will let them know in a few months that I am considering selling the flat in approx May next year. If I can then switch to periodic month by month from August this year then hopefully that means I can avoid any long notice period. But I won't bring...
              01-03-2021, 16:00 PM
            • Notice Period to Tenants
              by annam222
              Hi all,
              I rent out my flat using an estate agents let & collect service. It is rented out using an assured shorthold tenancy agreement of 12 months (no break clause). The 12 months ends in August this year. I have just been told by the estate agents that "due to Covid the law has changed...
              01-03-2021, 14:54 PM
              by jpkeates
              The best thing to do is to talk to the tenants and let them know about the possibility of selling the property.
              That gives them plenty of time to plan their move and find somewhere else to live.

If you go straight to a formal notice it can do a lot of damage to the relationship....
              01-03-2021, 15:51 PM
            • Reply to Another way to suffer from Covid
              by Hudson01
              You say he can afford the rent... how do you know that ? Does he work ? The idea of claiming under a '' false statement '' will be very difficult to prove, i would seek the assistance of a professional agency who can check all your paperwork and get this parasite out.
              01-03-2021, 15:45 PM
            • Another way to suffer from Covid
              by P'd off of Romford
              Hi Guys

Yes, sorry, this is another tale of woe, for which I apologise in advance....

FirstIy, I have Multiple Sclerosis, and as a result, can no longer work in my professional field.

For this reason, I have recently rented out my former home, as a means of a small...
              01-03-2021, 11:27 AM
            • Reply to Legal question
              by mind the gap
              No sadly, it isn't possible and even if it were, he is happy where he is. He has been offered the option, but has declined.

The thorny issue seems to be the capacity question. To any sensible human being, the fact that he can forget a decision as soon as he has made it would suggest that...
              01-03-2021, 15:43 PM
              by annam222
              Thank you very much. I didn't realise that a section 21 had to be served, this is my first time renting out my flat. I thought that once the 12 month period ended that we either renew or the agreement just ends.
              I may want to sell the flat in Spring next year so I had queried with the estate agents...
              01-03-2021, 15:42 PM
            • Reply to Your move references
              by Hudson01
              Ditto, i do not accept guarantors, so its a binary choice for me....
              01-03-2021, 15:39 PM
            Working...
            X