Police raid/forced entry- damage- what recourse for L?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police raid/forced entry- damage- what recourse for L?

I would like advice on something I have no previous experience of. The situation is as follows.

I bought a property nearly two years ago in central London. It was in serious need of repair and was empty for two years. We refurbished it fully with new kitchen, bathroom, flooring, garden landscaping etc etc. Initially we had a professional couple rent from us. Since last June, the property was rented out to two nice girls who are both students (joint tenancy) at a nearby university. They are both from Eastern Europe and we never have had any problems from them. They pay the rent on time, on the voters list, responsible for the council tax, utility bills etc.

Early today I had a call from one of the girls stating that they have had a police raid. They were terrified with the experience. They were woken up and the policemen wouldn't even allow them to put adequate clothes on. They simply threatened them, barged in, turned the place upside down and kept asking for a character named Peter. Apparently some of the police officers were enjoying what they were doing to them/seeing. They didn't show them any warrant to search the premises nor identify them properly. They left after some time without even an apology.

As far as we know, this Peter character lived at this address as a tenant some 4 years ago. We get all sort of letters (usually from finance companies) which we send them back to the sender stating that he does not live there. Some few months back, we have had a visit from two police officers looking for this guy. The tenants explained to them that they live there now and showed their passports for identification. They also gave them my contact details. A police officer contacted me later and I explained the present situation. I also gave him the contact details of the person whom I bought the property from as he may have more knowledge of this charactor they were looking for. We never heard from the police until today.

I firmly believe that the police should have known from all public records such as the land registry, voters list, council tax etc and on top of that they should have checked their own records as I gave all the relevant details to a police officer before.

I therefore want to take this further and make a complaint against the raid and the behaviour of the officers concerned. It is also possible that I may lose the tenants as their reputation is tarnished as a consequence of this raid. They were sobbing this morning when talking to me. I am all for the police catching criminals but I do not want to put up with police brutality like in some african countries.

Please advice.

• Moderator1
    replied
    Multiple threads on the same topic have been merged here

Leave a comment:

• PaulF
    replied
    Originally posted by lee_tran@o2.co.uk View Post
    I've got a letter from the police to say that they will inform of the full facts once they have been established. They end the letter by saying that 'In the mean time, you may obtain quotes with regards to the damaged door'. Does this mean they will pay for it?
    An invitation to quote seems like it could be a precursor to their coughing up. Give it a try!

Leave a comment:

• lee_tran@o2.co.uk
    replied
    Originally posted by rachel230 View Post
    Had immigration break in to my tenants flat (they were given chance to open door but didn`t). Police did basic door repair but I got door fixed properly and took cost off tenants deposit.

Can police at least give you a letter confirming reasons why they broke in? That way if you want to claim cost of repair from deposit you will have evidence to send when claiming.

I've got a letter from the police to say that they will inform of the full facts once they have been established. They end the letter by saying that 'In the mean time, you may obtain quotes with regards to the damaged door'. Does this mean they will pay for it?

Leave a comment:

• rachel230
    replied
    Had immigration break in to my tenants flat (they were given chance to open door but didn`t). Police did basic door repair but I got door fixed properly and took cost off tenants deposit.

Can police at least give you a letter confirming reasons why they broke in? That way if you want to claim cost of repair from deposit you will have evidence to send when claiming.

Leave a comment:

• jrsteeve
    replied
    Had a similar thing but with paramedics forcing the door. Insurance claim is the only way but obviously depends on your excess.

Leave a comment:

• JK0
    replied
    Could your insurers help? I seem to recall reading that they pay for repairs when emergency services force their way in.

Leave a comment:

• thesaint
    replied
    They will pretend to investigate, and then write a standard letter telling you that their officers were justified, and they won't pay a penny.

Leave a comment:

• lee_tran@o2.co.uk
    replied
    Police Forced Entry

Hi All,

My tenants just came back from their holiday and found the front door damaged and the lock changed.

I’ve got in touch with the local police and apparently the neighbours reported that there were lots of flies on the kitchen’s window and door and they thought someone might be hurt inside. The police came, forced the door open, checked the house and replaced the lock. The reason for the flies was that my tenants were being careless by leaving foods out on the kitchen table before they went on holiday.

The police has given me the new keys to the property. However, the door and frame are badly damaged and it’s very difficult to lock or open.

I’d like to know in this situation who should be responsible to pay for the damaged door? The police, the tenants or me? I have asked the police about this and they said that they’re reviewing the case but have not given me definite answer.

Lee

Leave a comment:

• jeffrey
    replied
    Originally posted by platforminc View Post
    Police have broken into a flat that i am renting to a tenant, they claimed that drug dealing is happening at the property. I was informed by the tenant tht no drug was found at the property, but they have caused considerable damage to the flat.

Where do i stand from a repairs point of view, surely i shoudn't be paying for the damage and someone has got to be responsible.
    Notify the block policy insurer at once and ask for guidance.
    Also copy that notification to the block's freehold reversioner and management company.

Leave a comment:

• westminster
    replied
    See this thread (several on the subject of police damage merged into one long thread).
    http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...ead.php?t=9962

Leave a comment:

• fsl
    replied
    If they had a warrant and found something then the tenant should pay, if they didnt find anything or entered without a warrant then the police should pay

Leave a comment:

• jta
    replied
    Did anybody get charged with anything at all? This is relevant because if the police had wrong intelligence and/or broke into the wrong flat it may be possible to make them pay for the repairs. If they found evidence of wrong doing there would be no chance at all.

Leave a comment:

• platforminc
    replied
    Police break into flat

Police have broken into a flat that i am renting to a tenant, they claimed that drug dealing is happening at the property. I was informed by the tenant tht no drug was found at the property, but they have caused considerable damage to the flat.

Where do i stand from a repairs point of view, surely i shoudn't be paying for the damage and someone has got to be responsible.

Leave a comment:

• fps
    replied
    Any damaged caused by the police should be reclaimed from them. They should make a note of teh damage they caused prior to leaving the property. Compensation should be claimed.

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Not currently in UK to sign tenancy
    srclinton
    I have new tenants lined up for rental of property. However the lead tenant's nephew will also be living there but lead, who will be sole named on the tenancy, will be out of the country until after the tenancy starts. The nephew will be moving in prior his return with lead tenants permission.
    21-08-2019, 19:04 PM
  • Reply to Not currently in UK to sign tenancy
    srclinton
    All noted. Thank you all....
    22-08-2019, 22:55 PM
  • Letting agency fees after invoking break-clause
    kaidranzer
    Hi,

I'm currently in a flat with a one-year fixed term contract. There is a 6-month break-clause in place which allows me to end the agreement / contract with a 2-month notice after 6 months of occupancy.

I've handed in the notice however, the landlord & letting agency...
    11-11-2018, 23:46 PM
  • Reply to Letting agency fees after invoking break-clause
    Sydney
    Hi kaidranzer,

I'm looking to invoke the break clause in my contract and comparing the wording, it looks like I'm with the same real estate agency. Please, can you tell me what the outcome was? Did you have to pay the prorated commission? I've invoked break clauses in the past with different...
    22-08-2019, 22:05 PM
  • Damage to wooden worktops - 2 lodgers
    Orangesandlemons
    Looking for some advice.

I had two lodgers, I asked both of them not to put hot items / leave water on my worktops as they are oak worktops. There is now quite a bit of damage to them - 3 ring marks (looks like a mug / bowls or pan), and other water damage near the sink. Neither lodger...
    22-08-2019, 20:50 PM
  • Reply to Damage to wooden worktops - 2 lodgers
    AndrewDod
    - If you don't know who it was I can't see that you can charge anyone, but you seem to be wanting to charge one who you know was not responsible for at least part of it.

On the holes in the wall - it depends a little on the state of the decor and wall covering. If it is a very luxurious...
    22-08-2019, 21:31 PM
  • Sub-tenant refuses to pay rent
    Joe.K
    Hello, I'm a lead-tenant (sub-lessor) renting the entire flat from my landlord and subletting the other two bedrooms to subtenants. The landlord is aware and approved this.
    The current sub-tenant of one of the rooms moved in 20 days ago, however he didn't sign the contract I sent him (a two months...
    20-08-2019, 23:37 PM
  • Reply to Sub-tenant refuses to pay rent
    Joe.K
    Just an update: bearing the legal limitations in mind, I presented him with two options for him to choose from: move out of the flat at the end of the month (so essentially a 9 day notice), or pay the full rent for September. I assertively told him he's not welcome here, that my preference is the first...
    22-08-2019, 20:51 PM
  • Agent ignoring periodic option
    oakhill
    My last tenant stayed for about 7 years, the last 6 being a periodic tenancy.
    I haven't asked the current tenant but in view of his circumstances I think he will want to stay on at the end of his 1 year tenancy.
    I've now received the following from the Agent, abbreviated to just the relevant...
    21-08-2019, 23:11 PM
  • Reply to Agent ignoring periodic option
    doobrey
    Agreed ; good idea. Having it in an email helps because it is there in black and white. Persist, and if you get fobbed off, escalate the query. If agent has made such as assertion they should be able to justify it....
    22-08-2019, 20:22 PM
Working...
X