No inventory list

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No inventory list

I signed a tenancy agreement on 28/10/2017 for an Assured Shorthold Tenancy, and moved in on 11/11/2017. Since then, my landlord has provided no Inventory list, and has decided to remove a portable gas heater that was there when I viewed the property and moved into it. This was there when a previous tenant lived there, but the landlord has cited that he has no confidence in me in using it safely, and wants to collect it. To begin with, he was okay with it, but said that he wanted to remove it, as he certainly did not want to have to change the canister each time it required changing.

From a point of view of safety, I can understand that the LL wants it out, but is he able to take out items here and there as he pleases and sees fit?

Obviously, I am thinking that without the Inventory list, he feels he can do as he pleases. Should the LL provide an inventory list as a legal requirement?

Originally posted by travis_bickle76 View Post
    Obviously, I am thinking that without the Inventory list, he feels he can do as he pleases. Should the LL provide an inventory list as a legal requirement?
    Nope, but an inventory is more advantageous for a LL than a T in normal circumstances as it's hard to prove damage etc at the end of a tenancy.
    "I'm afraid I didn't do enough background checks apart from checking her identity on Facebook" - ANON

What I say is based on my own experience and research - Please don't take as gospel without first checking the gospel yourself.

Comment

The inventory list works both ways - protects the landlord for damage a tenant may cause and protects the tenant from frivolous claims made against them.
      Its not a requirement but better for all involved.
      Was the heater listed in the AST? I doubt it.
      In that case it’s his property and if he’s said he wants it then that’s his choosing.

But for your own good you should speak to him about an inventory and why there isn’t one.
      And take lots of pictures yourself, timestamped, just in case when you move out he claims damages against you.

Comment

Portable gas heaters are a notorious cause of damp as they give off up to 7litres of water per cannister, (I was once told). He's probably done you a favour in this instance. Do you have adequate alternative heating at the property?

Comment

I have electric storage heaters, but they are crap at heating my lounge area after I've been at work all day and rather expensive to run.

Comment

hmmm... they shouldn't be either. Talk to your energy supplier about economy 7 and look at increasing the settings so that they store more heat. We have them in our house on the ground floor and the rooms are warm as toast even at the end of a working day.

Comment

I agree with tatemono. You need to get more info on the settings so that they dnt release their stored heat during the day but save it for you to use in the evening

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X