Items stolen

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Items stolen

I've been renting a property for 4 1/2 years and have just finished the tenancy. Last Summer we had a shed theft, lawnmower, blower and a few tools taken. I replaced all these and I regularly looked after the garden. The question is who had the items stolen? The landlord or me? Whose are the replacement items, mine or his? This is not a case of me stealing items from the property, this was a legitimate theft from a locked garden shed, the window was removed from the shed and the lock forced.

Thanks in advance

Assuming those items were the landlords property and were listed on the inventory, you only had use of them during the tenancy.

Once the theft occured, the landlord should have claimed on his insurance, reported to police etc. You would probably have had to give a witness statement.

Therefore it is the landlords responsibility to replace those items.

If you have subsequently bought some new gardening equipment, it is yours to take with you when your tenancy ends.

If you did not tell the landlord at the time, nor report it to the police, you pay for the stuff.

Of course if the landlord does not believe the thefts were genuine or you somehow facilitated the theft it is open to him to sue you.

Many insurance policies do not cover theft from sheds. If you were told items should not be kept in the shed (or if in the inventory they are listed as being located in a locked garage) then you are responsible - in much the same way as if you had left them lying in the garden.

How exactly did they get into the shed?

Latest Activity

• Unannouced key inspection- dog inside
        Iasmina Munteanu
        I have a special and unpleasure situation. Today in the morning i received the next email from my letting negotiator.
        Hope you are well?
        I was doing key inspections yesterday and as I knocked on your door to check if you were in (you didn't need to be it was just so you
        22-03-2018, 23:25 PM
      • Permitted Occupier
        Thankyou for reading my post I hope someone is able to assist. I live in a council flat, I moved here 5 months ago. When I applied for the flat my husband and I were estranged and I applied for it in my own right only - by the time I took possession of the flat we had reconciled, the council would...
        22-03-2018, 19:39 PM
      • Reply to Permitted Occupier
        As Andrew says. Then change locks. Police if he does anything silly.

Better luck with next partner!
        22-03-2018, 22:06 PM
      • Landlord's address on tenancy agreeemnt
        I live quite near to my flats and have had some problems with criminal tenants so I am considering withholding my personal address from new tenants. Of course they have my phone number and email address for speedy communication with me. I am thinking of subscribing to a PO type address on the tenancy...
        22-03-2018, 20:58 PM
      • Reply to Landlord's address on tenancy agreeemnt
        It would be easier not to select criminal tenants.

These days with t'InterNet, social media it's easy to find people anyway. Plus Land registry deeds for £3.

Don't be shy!
        22-03-2018, 22:04 PM
      • Section 21 help pllllease to sell
        Evening everyone
        I am about to serve a section 21 so we can sell and I am paranoid about getting the dates correct. can anyone confirm which date I should use?? The circumstances are:

6 months short term tenancy began on 28/09/17
        on 28/03/2018 it is going onto a periodic tenancy...
        22-03-2018, 20:34 PM
      • Reply to Section 21 help pllllease to sell
        At least 2 months from the deemed date of service. So if your tenancy agreement say notice is considered served say 2 business days after you post the notice to the tenant first class, and you're going to be posting the notice to your tenant, then it's two months + 2 business days from you posting the...
        22-03-2018, 21:46 PM
      • Reply to Landlord's address on tenancy agreeemnt
        (Assuming you're talking about a tenancy in England & Wales)

You are required to notify your tenant of an address within England and Wales at which notices may be served on you by the tenant, or no rent is legally due. A PO Box is fine for such a purpose. However....

22-03-2018, 21:38 PM
      • L's right of access for inspection or viewing?
        What follows is my analysis of the position. It should not be treated as gospel.

Part 1

It is often asserted that a landlord, even if the tenant has agreed to it in the tenancy agreement or lease, may not enter premises without the consent of the tenant. Whilst on the whole...
        08-03-2010, 15:27 PM
      • Reply to L's right of access for inspection or viewing?
        My tenant stopped paying the rent and stopped communicating with me. I started the court and eviction process. During that time the gas registration certificate was due to expire so I contacted the tenant by text, email and WhatsApp and gave him a week's notice of the gas engineer's visit which was...
        22-03-2018, 20:51 PM