How long to fix a broken shower

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mariner View Post
    "Recall, I am the tenant. I pay the landlord hundreds of thousands of pounds in order to rent a property and do essential repairs."

Remember who is the person who has invested ~£200K for a property for you et to rent but prob cannot afford to buy.
    According to the Land Registry, the building containing my flat was bought by the landlord for £50,000.

Originally posted by Landlord1206 View Post
    Alex1 you posted a question - fair to do so - and you got a number of answers. I agree that it is reasonable from your LL.
    The fact that all of these replies do not seem to agree with your own personal view may have caused you to lose focus here.
    Question asked; question answered.
    You are correct I posted a question. It was some of the people who responded who did things like go through my posting history to find reasons to attack me, say I should be evicted, and characterise me as someone who is financially reckless.

I thought four days to send someone to take a look seemed a little long. It turns out the consensus is that it’s a reasonable timeframe (though somehow the discussion became about whether I’m a reasonable person).

Originally posted by Landlord1206 View Post
    I was a tenant once and a boiler went.
    Fortunately, the shower is electric so even when the boiler was broken a few years back, it still worked!

Originally posted by MisterB View Post
    tenants are expected to behave in a 'tenant like manner' - not call the landlord every time something arises.
    This is the first time I’ve called the landlord to report a maintenance issue in four years, I think. But thanks for making assumptions about my behaviour based on one incident.

Originally posted by MisterB View Post
    of course if you did have to flick a switch to repair it, that should have been notified to the landlord so they could monitor the situation in case of re occurrence
    Yes, I’ve informed the landlord.

I just had a shower. Seemed to work but the water did become quite cool after a short time and didn’t really recover. I still have to try descaling it though (thanks again to Moy for the advice). Looking at it, I think it may be possible to remove the shower head and put it back if I’m careful. Failing that, I understand some people tie watertight plastic bags containing descaler over the shower head, so that may be an option.

Comment

Regarding tying a bag over the shower head, the problem with that is that the descaler is diluted by the water in the system.

The best thing to do is unscrew the head from the hose, shake out the water, then put in a tupperware box full of vinegar overnight. Try to agitate it when you remember, to get fresh vinegar to the limescale.

Comment

Getting a plumber on a Monday from a call on Thursday is bloody good going.

A general rule of thumb is whether the tenant is being less well served than a property owner would be.
        And, in this case, I'd say they're well ahead - the tenant hasn't had to try an find a plumber, wait for the inevitable two or three no shows and then wait a while longer.

As for paying "hundred's of thousands of pounds", if it's not worth it, look elsewhere.
        It's like resenting Apple for the cost of a phone, if you don't like paying, don't.
        The landlord doesn't set the price of their property, the market does, and (if they're a company) they have a duty to maximise profit.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Companies work schedules.

Companies are formed, and men are self employed to earn a decent living.

A decent living cannot be achieved if you have no work for the next day, sitting at home or in the office waiting for a call to fix an electrical / plumbing fault.
          That's why companies / self employed cannot drop everything to come next day ( yours is not an emergency ) as they have orders to fulfill.
          They are booked up in advance, and a minimum for a decent living, and a profitable business is an absolute minimum 3 days ( full days ) in advance of orders, otherwise you go bankrupt, or have to cease trading as you have not enough work for the week ahead.

I call workmen, and 3 days hence is absolute minimum they can attend.
          That's how the world works.
          Yes. I have been self employed. Have also worked for a £ 30M turnover company, that did not get enough work. They are now closed down, because they did not have enough work in advance and could do the work tomorrow.

Comment

To get back to opening question, yes Monday is more than reasonable. It annoying for sure especially with visitors due but that doesn't speed up the process.

Comment

Originally posted by alex1 View Post
              Thanks for the advice. I do live in a hard water area. The old shower head I had could be detached and taken apart, so I used to descale it and use fuse wire to clean the holes from time to time. The current shower head does not detach and is rather high up (even if I let it dangle, it doesn’t reach the ground), so it’s harder to descale. I do rub the nozzles with my fingers as recommended in the manual. I will try to figure out a way to descale it.

Freezer bag, some rubber bands/insulation tape and white vinegar.

Put (lots) of vinegar in the bag, put the shower head in the bag, tape/band it up so the bag stays on and the head is immersed. Vinegar dissolves the limescale over a number of hours.

Simples.

(I actually have a shower at the one of our empty lets atm that is going through this exact treatment at the moment)

https://www.mirashowers.co.uk/mira-i...r-shower-head/

Comment

Do you have a bath??? Yes a bath??? Strange how the shower breaks and tenants forget that there are alternative ways of getting clean. Perhaps it's just a generation thing!

Comment

Originally posted by alex1 View Post
                  I have paid over £100,000 of rent for my current flat, yes.
                  So not 'hundreds of thousands', but over a hundred thousand; but of course, that will be for an extended period. With monthly rent, you get to enjoy possession of the property, one month at a time, in exchange for the monthly rent, no part of which is carried forward or set aside to form a grievance fund, should you feel aggrieved. Your reasonable expectation, regarding repairs should be the same on the first day of your tenancy as on the last. You even seem to feel hard done by that the landlord bought the property at a time when property prices were lower than they are now - which is none of your business, as tenant. Pay the rent or move. I don't think you've won many friends, here, for your attitude - but by your continued whinging, it is clear that you've already worked that out ...

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
                    Regarding tying a bag over the shower head, the problem with that is that the descaler is diluted by the water in the system.

The best thing to do is unscrew the head from the hose, shake out the water, then put in a tupperware box full of vinegar overnight. Try to agitate it when you remember, to get fresh vinegar to the limescale.
                    Thanks for the advice. As I said in an earlier message, my previous shower head was quite easy to clean (the sprayer part could actually be detached from the rest of the head on its own) so I used to do what you suggest (except with a descaling solution rather than vinegar). The current shower head is not so wonderful for cleaning but I will cautiously investigate if it can be detached (it looks like it might unscrew but I want to be really careful to avoid accidentally damaging it in the process).

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
                    The landlord doesn't set the price of their property, the market does
                    No, the landlord sets the price of their property. They may be influenced by the market when deciding what they can charge, but nobody is forcing them to charge more than necessary. In any case, the housing market is distorted. In most markets, if the price of something is higher than the customer wants to pay, they will not buy it. This does not apply to housing because everyone needs somewhere to live.

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
                    (if they're a company) they have a duty to maximise profit.
                    This is not true; they have to balance other factors. The Corporation Act 2006, Section 172, states: “A director of a company must act in the way he considers, in good faith, would be most likely to promote the success of the company for the benefit of its members as a whole, and in doing so have regard (amongst other matters) to … the need to foster the company's business relationships with suppliers, customers and others, … the impact of the company's operations on the community and the environment …”

In any case, my point was that I pay a not insignificant amount of money as a tenant.

Thanks for the link. Looks like it has some useful tips. My shower head looks fairly similar to the one in the first picture.

Originally posted by shearne View Post
                    Do you have a bath??? Yes a bath???
                    No, there is no bath. Only a shower.

Strange how the shower breaks and tenants forget that there are alternative ways of getting clean.
                    But … there isn’t. You seemingly just made that up to have a pretext to attack me. What is this? Let them eat cake?

Perhaps it's just a generation thing!
                    What on earth are you talking about? You know nothing about my generation.

Comment

Alex, you do not reveal where your rented property is located.
                      A vendor will initially set a purchase price based mainly on what he thinks local interest will support. Similarly for aB2L investor. Both can be wrong.
                      A £50K purchase price suggests a basic property, prob outside S East. If you have ~£50 K you prob can buy a similar property.
                      My generation learned that if rent was similar to mort repayments, it was prob advantageous to seek a mortgage. Advice may change.

Comment

If it's a conventional handset, the plastic head screws off the Flexi hose yes?
                        buy a new head , only a few quid from a bargain shop and try that or see if you can borrow a known good one.
                        They are more or less universal.

Comment

To any tenant...

If you want close to immediate rectification of any issues, rent a hotel room.

If you want "quick" rectification, rent a serviced apartment.

If you want "reasonable" rectification, rent a property on an AST.

If you want no guarantees on rectification, buy your own property.

If you want no rectification at all, be homeless.

This thread has discussed what "reasonable" means... Is there any point trying to argue against it???

Comment

As for the amount of rent you pay, we live in a (relatively) free world. If you don't like the service you receive for the price you pay, then you have choices. Time to activate one of those choices?

Comment

Alex, you do not reveal where your rented property is located.
                              It’s London.

A £50K purchase price suggests a basic property, prob outside S East. If you have ~£50 K you prob can buy a similar property.
                              Unfortunately not, as it is no longer 1997 (when the landlord bought the property). The average London property price is almost five times higher now.

My generation learned that if rent was similar to mort repayments, it was prob advantageous to seek a mortgage. Advice may change.
                              The problem isn’t really the monthly mortgage payments, it’s having a large enough income to get a mortgage of that size. Not to mention the deposit (the average deposit for a first-time buyer in London is £90,000), stamp duty, fees etc. I’ve looked into shared ownership but I keep getting failing the eligibility criteria because I don’t earn enough (I’m a higher-rate taxpayer).

Originally posted by Moy View Post
                              If it's a conventional handset, the plastic head screws off the Flexi hose yes?
                              I just tried and it seems it does. More easily than I expected.

Originally posted by Moy View Post
                              buy a new head , only a few quid from a bargain shop and try that or see if you can borrow a known good one.
                              They are more or less universal.
                              I was wondering about the universality (of both the connection to the hose and the bit that holds the shower head to the pole). I did some browsing on the Internet and I found this one, which looks almost identical to my current one:

https://www.tritonshowers.co.uk/show...ower-head.html

Then I started wondering if there were heads designed for showers with low water pressure (such as mine). I found this:

https://www.ecocamel.com/product/32-jetstorm

It”s pricey though and I’m a little sceptical of whether it will actually make much difference. I found some online reviews but they’re somewhat polarised.

For now, I have the existing head sitting in some descaler.

Thanks so much for your advice, Moy.

Comment

Ah, no, don't change the handset. One of my tenants put one on that must have had smaller holes, and the pressure relief valve popped. (They emphasize in the instructions that you must not use a different handset.)

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                                X