How long to fix a broken shower

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long to fix a broken shower

The electric shower in my rented flat stopped working (flick the switch, nothing happens). I reported it to the landlord today (Thursday). They just got back to me and said they will send someone to look at it on Monday. Is that a reasonable time frame? Seems a bit long to me. After all, I couldn’t shower this morning, I won’t be able to shower tomorrow, nor the day after that, nor the day after that, nor the day after that. And that’s assuming it gets fixed during the initial visit.

It’s especially annoying because I have guests staying with me this weekend and I’ve just had to tell them they won’t be able to shower for the entire time they’re here.

Very reasonable. I don't think a faulty shower would be considered a dire emergency, and two working days seems a very short lead time for getting a trades-person in.

Comment

Yes it's reasonable.

Tradesmen are not just sat round waiting for a call.
      Of course if you pay over the top they might drop what they are working on and rush round.

Have you checked your consumer unit for a tripped circuit breaker?

Comment

Very reasonable. With regards to being unfortunate timing with guests coming, this is down to the 'tenants bubble of protection' failing.
        "I'm afraid I didn't do enough background checks apart from checking her identity on Facebook" - ANON

What I say is based on my own experience and research - Please don't take as gospel without first checking the gospel yourself.

Comment

It's funny looking at your other thread where you ignored your phone for a whole day despite the same person trying to contact you 18 times to do some work on the property, seemingly to their benefit and not yours. Imagine if you'd tried to report this but were ignored for a whole 24 hours. You don't seem overly reasonable in that or this situation.
          "I'm afraid I didn't do enough background checks apart from checking her identity on Facebook" - ANON

What I say is based on my own experience and research - Please don't take as gospel without first checking the gospel yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
            two working days seems a very short lead time for getting a trades-person in.
            Well, the landlord is a company and I’m fairly certain they have contractors working for them regularly (that’s been my impression talking to them in the past), so it’s probably a little easier for them.

Originally posted by nukecad View Post
            Have you checked your consumer unit for a tripped circuit breaker?
            I hadn’t thought of that! But I found the circuit breakers and there was one labelled “shower”. I flipped it and… shower seems to work! It seems to get hot and then go too cold (even if put on a high temperature) but I’ll see how it goes over the next few days. Thanks for your advice!

Originally posted by Wannadonnadoodah View Post
            With regards to being unfortunate timing with guests coming, this is down to the 'tenants bubble of protection' failing.
            Not quite sure what you mean by that. If I were an owner-occupier, I could get someone in quicker (at a cost, of course) if I chose. But as a tenant, I have to work to the landlord’s timelines.

It's funny looking at your other thread where you ignored your phone for a whole day despite the same person trying to contact you 18 times to do some work on the property, seemingly to their benefit and not yours. Imagine if you'd tried to report this but were ignored for a whole 24 hours. You don't seem overly reasonable in that or this situation.
            Firstly, it wasn’t a whole day, it was ten hours because I was at work. Secondly, it wasn’t work on the property, it was an assessment for an Energy Performance Certificate.

Thirdly, why on earth are you bringing this up? I don’t see how it’s relevant. What’s your agenda?

But since you mention it, I don’t see see the two situations as being equivalent. Recall, I am the tenant. I pay the landlord hundreds of thousands of pounds in order to rent a property and do essential repairs. I am the one supposed to be being provided with a service, not the other way round.

Imagine if you'd tried to report this but were ignored for a whole 24 hours.
            I don’t have to imagine: this has happened to me on many, many occasions. But as I said above, I was not available for ten hours, not 24, so it’s not the same. And my landlord is frequently unavailable for over 60 hours (weekends). And don’t forget, I’m the one paying here.

You don't seem overly reasonable in that or this situation.
            So let me get this straight: calling a tenant eighteen times in ten hours (including eight times in one hour) for a non-urgent reason (which is solely for the benefit of the landlord and inconveniences the tenant) is reasonable, but a tenant not wanting to wait five days between showers (during which time he will pay hundreds of pounds in rent to the landlord) is unreasonable? Is that seriously your position?

I still have no idea why you brought this up. Do you regularly go through tenants’ posting histories in order to find tenuous reasons to attack them for asking straightforward questions?

Comment

Landlord sounds totally reasonable to me. What do you think you are renting? - a hotel room? Up to a week might still be perfectly reasonable. Perhaps if you tried yourself you would find that a plumber at usual rates operates non-emergency stuff on this sort of timescale, and you are not entitled to any more than any usual homeowner doing reasonable repairs on a reasonable timescale at reasonable cost.

If you want a hotel service ask for your rate of rent to be increased commensurate with that.

If I were your landlord I would be looking to boot you out as soon as possible if this is your attitude (which it might not be).

And incidentally the landlord does not look in the yellow pages and go down the list until they find someone who can come within 3 days at any cost. They use workman they can trust, or who might already know about the installation, or might have installed it. The equipment might be under guarantee or some sort of maintenance contract and require a specific workman. Would you really like bob the local diy man working on equipment that carries water and 240 volts into your body every day??

Comment

And it turns out that you managed to resolve the problem by flipping the trip switch - so no plumber was required at all. If this was your own house would you call out a plumber to do jobs without checking the basics.... you would soon be bankrupt.

Even the best electric showers normally get hot and cold -- especially with winter looming and mains temperatures dropping.

If an electric shower unit failed completely and required replacement - you would be looking at a couple of weeks, and that would be tough luck (though a reasonable landlord might/should offer some element of compensation to a valued tenant).

Comment

Try cleaning the shower head, limescale causes temperature fluctuations.

Comment

Originally posted by alex1 View Post
                    Recall, I am the tenant. I pay the landlord hundreds of thousands of pounds in order to rent a property ...
                    You do? Well!

Comment

Originally posted by alex1 View Post
                      but a tenant not wanting to wait five days between showers (during which time he will pay hundreds of pounds in rent to the landlord)
                      No one wants to, be that owner or tenant, but the reality is that is a reasonable time scale. Your 5 days have included the day of reporting and the day of the visit so by my calculation that's 2 days off the 5. 2 of the 5 days are a weekend so that's another 2 days off, so as a bonus you may only have to wait 1 day for it to be looked at. Getting it fixed on Monday maybe another story (unless you've fixed it by flicking a switch)

As for paying rent during this extended period you arent renting a shower you're renting the whole property.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewDod View Post
                        If I were your landlord I would be looking to boot you out as soon as possible if this is your attitude (which it might not be).
                        My communication with my landlord about this was as follows. I phoned the landlord. The person who answered asked me for my email address, said I should look at the email he had just sent, then ended the call. I read the email and found out that my landlord now requires the use of an online system for reporting repairs. I made a request using that, explaining the symptoms. Later, when I realised the circuit breaker had been flipped, I used the online system to inform the landlord of this, together with an apology.

If this was your own house would you call out a plumber to do jobs without checking the basics.... you would soon be bankrupt.
                        Well, it’s happened once to me in all my years of renting, so I doubt it will make me bankrupt. But thanks for your unnecessary, supercilious judgement. It really added something to the discussion.

If an electric shower unit failed completely and required replacement - you would be looking at a couple of weeks, and that would be tough luck (though a reasonable landlord might/should offer some element of compensation to a valued tenant).
                        I have in fact had an electric shower unit fail completely and require replacement. This happened to the shower before this one. It exploded (literally) while I was using it. I don’t recall it took as long as two weeks to replace: a day or two to send someone at to look it at it and then a bit of a delay (maybe around a week? I don’t remember) before it was replaced. I was offered no compensation.

Originally posted by Moy View Post
                        Try cleaning the shower head, limescale causes temperature fluctuations.
                        Thanks for the advice. I do live in a hard water area. The old shower head I had could be detached and taken apart, so I used to descale it and use fuse wire to clean the holes from time to time. The current shower head does not detach and is rather high up (even if I let it dangle, it doesn’t reach the ground), so it’s harder to descale. I do rub the nozzles with my fingers as recommended in the manual. I will try to figure out a way to descale it.

Originally posted by StuartH View Post
                        > Recall, I am the tenant. I pay the landlord hundreds of thousands of pounds in order to rent a property

You do? Well!
                        I have paid over £100,000 of rent for my current flat, yes.

Your 5 days have included the day of reporting and the day of the visit so by my calculation that's 2 days off the 5. 2 of the 5 days are a weekend so that's another 2 days off, so as a bonus you may only have to wait 1 day for it to be looked at.
                        My five days was the number of days I would not be able to shower in the morning: Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday (I do shower on the weekends) and Monday. Not sure why you take off both the day of reporting and the day of repair: by that logic, if it were fixed the day after I reported it, that would be a wait of zero days. I suppose if it were fixed on the day I reported it, you would call that a wait of -1 days.

As for paying rent during this extended period you arent renting a shower you're renting the whole property.
                        Whole property including the shower, yes.

Comment

"Recall, I am the tenant. I pay the landlord hundreds of thousands of pounds in order to rent a property and do essential repairs."

Remember who is the person who has invested ~£200K for a property for you et to rent but prob cannot afford to buy. I assume you expect LL to undertake non-essential repairs
                          Av LL RoI is prob only 5% or less.

Comment

Alex1 you posted a question - fair to do so - and you got a number of answers. I agree that it is reasonable from your LL.
                            The fact that all of these replies do not seem to agree with your own personal view may have caused you to lose focus here.
                            Question asked; question answered.

Take it from there.

My advise is to try and work with the LL fairly. I was a tenant once and a boiler went. I showered at my tennis club for a week before repaired but I agreed a [small] deduction in my rent that month. Pain in the 'ss but I had sympathies for the LL.

Comment

tenants are expected to behave in a 'tenant like manner' - not call the landlord every time something arises. it would not have been unreasonable for the landlord to have charged you the cost of an electrician calling round to flick a switch. luckily they didn't send one round at 'emergency charge rates' as that would have cost you more !!!

of course if you did have to flick a switch to repair it, that should have been notified to the landlord so they could monitor the situation in case of re occurrence

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X