landlord refusing to give reference letter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As a landlord, if I had a tenant who was a pain in the wotsits and I wanted to encourage them to leave, if give them a good reference to help them on their way. Is that really a valuable reference to their new prospective landlord?

Much better to check their bank statements to see if they pay their rent on time, all the time time, as well as visit them in their current home to see how they live. There's your reference, personally conducted.

Comment

Originally posted by buzzard1994 View Post
      You cant force a landlord to give you a reference but you can tell them you will have to stay on -
      Crack on, it appears that is what this landlord wants, nothing in the OP says they want them to move on.

make them evict you -
      They can't make them.
      If the tenant has suddenly turned into a deadbeat loser (and nothing indicates that) they could stop paying the rent, trash the place, threaten the landlord, make the neighbours lives hell etc etc, and so encourage the landlord to evict. But why would any decent person choose to do that?

some will accept you without a previous landlord's reference.
      Crap landlords attract crap tenants, sometimes both get what they deserve.

Comment

Originally posted by security2 View Post
        As a landlord, if I had a tenant who was a pain in the wotsits and I wanted to encourage them to leave, if give them a good reference to help them on their way. Is that really a valuable reference to their new prospective landlord?
        It is one indicator of many.
        In some of the towns I work, I know all of the letting agents and a lot of the established landlords. A reference followed by a phone call to one of them is a good indicator.
        A reference from a 2 bit, get-rich-quick amateur landlord, probably giving a false reference, is weighted accordingly.

Much better to check their bank statements to see if they pay their rent on time, all the time time, as well as visit them in their current home to see how they live.
        Much better to do both, amongst other checks.

Comment

boletus,

Indeed crap landlords attract crap tenants - and if the landlord is refusing a reference to decent tenants he only has himself to blame if the tenant stays on without paying rent. Any decent person might resort to that if their landlord was failing to treat them properly. If the landlord is informed that no reference means no rent until one is supplied he may change his mind.

Since there are bad landlords it is unreasonable to always refuse a tenant without a current landlord reference if they have proof the rent has been regularly, especially if they have a previous good reference.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X