landlord refusing to give reference letter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

landlord refusing to give reference letter

Hello, my landlord is currently withholding the reference letter asked by the letting agency because I refused to pick the end of tenancy cleaning he chose (300gbp for a 500sqft...). Now the flat I was supposed to move in in 2 weeks might be turned down and I will not have time to find an other one on such short notice. What can I do pls?

You can agree to what the landlord is demanding in exchange for a reference.

You can explain to the new landlord/agent why your current landlord won't give you a reference (it's fairly common - I don't give them at all).

You can ask the agent for a reference that simply confirms that you were a tenant from xx/xx/xxxx to yy/yy/yyyyy and paid your rent on time, they might do that.

You can't compel the landlord to give you a reference.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Not much. The landlord isn’t under any obligation to provide a reference.

Comment

Is moving to the new property not worth the difference in cleaning cost?

Comment

Explain to your new LA what the situation is and you have an obstructive landlord. It's fairly common.

As long as you have a good credit rating, employers reference, no other issues, and confirm that you're not in any disputes with your current landlord, then you'll most likely be accepted.

£300 cleaning for a small flat sounds like a lot! Does your tenancy agreement state you must take this option at this fee?

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post

You can explain to the new landlord/agent why your current landlord won't give you a reference (it's fairly common - I don't give them at all).
            No it isn't common, I can't recall any occasion of a landlord refusing.

Personally I wouldn't take on a tenant whose previous landlord refused to give a reference. The largest Rent Guarantee Insurers would not accept them either.

Comment

It is a condition of my council's landlord licensing that landlords respond to reference requests from other licensees within 21 days.

Comment

"Thank you for your enquiry. As a matter of business policy I do not issue references (positive or negative). Nothing about this should be taken as a negative in relation to XXX."
                When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

That is a meaningless condition. LL can just write 'I am compelled by my Licensing Auth to respond to any ref request. I confirm this person occupied my property from,to <date>'.
                  It would be fraud if T concocted a ref purporting to be from the LL.
                  Last LL or Agency ref carries little weight for me.

Comment

Originally posted by mariner View Post
                    That is a meaningless condition. LL can just write 'I am compelled by my Licensing Auth to respond to any ref request. I confirm this person occupied my property from,to <date>'.
                    It would be fraud if T concocted a ref purporting to be from the LL.
                    It also requires a specific statement as to whether there have been allegations of ASB, and details of those allegations, and whether they have been admitted, or a case found against the tenant.

Comment

Originally posted by boletus View Post

No it isn't common, I can't recall any occasion of a landlord refusing.

Personally I wouldn't take on a tenant whose previous landlord refused to give a reference. The largest Rent Guarantee Insurers would not accept them either.

Ditto. It would be a simple no from me (if I asked for a reference and this was refused -- but I often do not ask).

Comment

Originally posted by mariner View Post
                        Last LL or Agency ref carries little weight for me.
                        Not clear why?

So if you knew that the T failed to leave in response to a S21 notice, or failed to leave until bailiffs were called, or failed to pay rent....., or smoked, etc....) that would not influence your decision?

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
                          "Thank you for your enquiry. As a matter of business policy I do not issue references (positive or negative). Nothing about this should be taken as a negative in relation to XXX."
                          Dear Prospective Tenant,
                          Unfortunately I will not be offering you a tenancy at this time.
                          Good luck finding a mug landlord who will take you on.

Comment

Never been an issue - I've even (just) checked my agent to see if they've ever had an issue.

I do get the impression that agents in the area operate an internal "information share".

Comment

You cant force a landlord to give you a reference but you can tell them you will have to stay on - and make them evict you - if you are unable to move as a result. Point out that the average eviction time is 44 weeks.

If you can show a landlord proof that you have paid rent regularly then some will accept you without a previous landlord's reference.

If you had a landlord before this one did you get a reference from them or could you get one now? Do you have copies of check out reports from any previous tenancies showing you left the place in decent condition?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X