Pets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pets

I have already bent my rules by allowing my tenants to have cats in the house. Now they want to bring in a large dog, until now kenneled in the garden. I'd like to accommodate them but I'm not sure of the possible implications. Advice welcome.

Did you allow the tenants to keep the dog in the garden?

Comment

I think it's been discussed a few times before but you could see pros and cons as:
      cons - more wear and tear, higher repair and replacement bill at end for replacement carpets and curtains etc.
      Pros - ask them for a higher deposit? More likely to be a longer term tenant as the pool of property they could move to is much smaller

Other consideration is that if you originally said no pets and they have since brought in cats and now a dog, they will clearly ride roughshod over you as a landlord. Is that the type of tenant you want?

Comment

I suspect doggy already has the run of the house. They are just trying to legitimise that.

Comment

And by the way, their daughter wants a pony for Christmas.

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
            I suspect doggy already has the run of the house. They are just trying to legitimise that.
            Exactly my thoughts. Furthermore who'd like to think of a dog outside in this weather?!

Comment

You have already 'allowed' the dog.
              Say No & see what they do.

Comment

tell them that you'll only allow one animal at a time. While the dog's inside, the cat has to live in the kennel.

Comment

Originally posted by Palomino View Post
                  who'd like to think of a dog outside in this weather?!
                  I know. Some people actually think their ancestors were physically able to cope with being outside all the time and that fur was something more than just to make them soft and fluffy. Bonkers.

Comment

Originally posted by Palomino View Post

Exactly my thoughts. Furthermore who'd like to think of a dog outside in this weather?!
                    It's still pretty warm for many dog breeds.

Comment

Don’t simply increase the deposit.
                      When you allow pets, the “fair wear and tear” threshold is adjusted to be fair with an animal sharing the house and any disputes will be judges accordingly.

Make specific adjustments to the tenancy agreement, or agree a separate document that you both sign that agrees that the tenant will pay for a deep clean of all carpets and a professional clean sufficient to remove all traces of any animals kept.
                      This may need to include specific work to remove any infestation remaining.

This agreement will a) make the tenants realise what it is they’re asking for and b) make any deductions simpler.

Tenants with pets are generally there long term and I like having them as customers.
                      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                      X