no notice to quit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no notice to quit

i haven't been given notice to quit but my letting agency have advertised my property for let on zoopla and asking to arrange viewings ,our tenancy runs out on November the 22 I believe,really confused on what to do.we have not received any written notice to quit , I booked a holiday way back in September and October the 3rd a letting sign went up outside we rang agency and they said its a mistake and not to worry they then said come down and sign new tenancy,when we went they said it wasn't ready and they would sort it out,a few days later they emailed us to arrange viewing we rang them and said whats going on,they said 6 months rent upfront and you can stay,we did not receive any written notice at any time and still haven't..help please

Sounds like the letting agent are trying to get a new letting commission. Contact your landlord directly IIWY.

Comment

You don't have to allow any viewings - so tell them that. It is disgraceful the way some agents act. What were you planning to do when the 6 months rent paid period was up?

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Originally posted by Interlaken View Post
        You don't have to allow any viewings
        The tenancy agreement likely states otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by jjlandlord View Post

Yeah but, no but - tenant still does not have to allow viewings - he is allowed quiet enjoyment of the premises.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

You don't have to allow any viewings - so tell them that. It is disgraceful the way some agents act. What were you planning to do when the 6 months rent paid period was up?
            Even if the tenancy agreement does allow viewings, you can be in attendance at your home and state quite clearly to any viewers that you're not leaving the property. Should put the agent in an embarrassing position, if nothing else.

You'll no doubt read elsewhere on this site that you don't have to leave at the end of your fixed term. As said above, the agent is probably looking to drum up some commission and fees. Contact the landlord and tell them you're happy to stay on with an ongoing statutory tenancy (assuming you want to stay). The landlord will probably be happy with that. The agent might not but tough!

Comment

Yeah but, no but - tenant still does not have to allow viewings - he is allowed quiet enjoyment of the premises.
              Tenant does have to allow viewings if that's agreed in the terms of the tenancy, and that's not what 'quiet enjoyment' means.

There are enough people trying to shoot down landlords as it is without landlords themselves telling tenants to ignore tenancy agreements.

Comment

I’ve never seen one enabling viewings that doesn’t have some kind of time constraint - in the last month or two of the tenancy, or when notice has been served.
                It’s obviously conceivable that this specific tenancy agreement doesn’t have any limitations on viewings, but it would strike me as very unusual if it did.

And there’s an implicit reasonableness in any such agreement. Agreeing to viewings doesn’t allow the agent to simply turn up unannounced and show someone round while the tenant is asleep, for example.
                So there’s a point somewhere between the tenant declining all viewings and the agent simply letting themselves in to show someone round unannounced that needs to be established - which is another example of a problem with terms in tenancy agreements that aren’t thought through.

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
                  I’ve never seen one enabling viewings that doesn’t have some kind of time constraint - in the last month or two of the tenancy, or when notice has been served.
                  It’s obviously conceivable that this specific tenancy agreement doesn’t have any limitations on viewings, but it would strike me as very unusual if it did.
                  OP has said that it's the last month of the tenancy.

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
                  Agreeing to viewings doesn’t allow the agent to simply turn up unannounced and show someone round while the tenant is asleep, for example.
                  No-one claimed that the agent could do that.

Comment

OP has said that it's the last month of the tenancy.
                    But OP didn't say they plan on leaving by the end of that (persumed) fixed term tenancy.
                    I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

Comment

Originally posted by KTC View Post

But OP didn't say they plan on leaving by the end of that (persumed) fixed term tenancy.
                      Obviously it isn't very sensible or useful for the agent to schedule viewings with prospective tenants without having any idea whether the current tenant intends to leave, but it's the last month of the tenancy nevertheless.

Even if OP had told the agent he intended to leave there would be not guarantee of that happening.

Comment

Neither did OP say LL had indicated he is prepared to offer a replacement T at end of fixed Term.
                        If LL does not want T to stay beyond end of fixed, he should have given some indication by now, not nec Notice. Otherwise LL has forgotten AST automatically reverts to SPT if T stays in occupation at end of fixed term.

Comment

but it's the last month of the tenancy nevertheless.
                          No, it's the last month of the fixed term. It's not necessarily the last month of the tenancy. Might seem pedantic to point that out but it's an important point. One that I suspect the LA in this case doesn't understand either.

Comment

Originally posted by security2 View Post
                            No, it's the last month of the fixed term. It's not necessarily the last month of the tenancy. Might seem pedantic to point that out but it's an important point. One that I suspect the LA in this case doesn't understand either.
                            Hmm, for all we know OP has a standard 6/12 month fixed term tenancy.

Comment

Originally posted by security2 View Post

I would have thought that the last month of the fixed term would be regarded as the last month of the tenancy in contractual terms as any SPT arising is a new and different tenancy.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X